162     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 338     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 533     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

On the easier access thread I came across this picture of Donlands Station:

donlands-IMG_6807.JPG

Source: Station Fixation https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=UFN1RzVIMHdJcmhxRXd2aEpEZm5ERHA4VWR0T1FR

Anyone here know why they never continued to do things like this?

I know cities like London and Budapest do this often without issue and in my opinion it's alot less brutalist than most things they build now.

Upcoming TTC subway closures

Oct. 29, 2020

This Sun., Nov. 1 only, there will be no subway service on the portion of Line 1 between Eglinton and St Andrew stations to allow TTC crews to continue upgrading the ATC signalling system.

Shuttle buses will run frequently. The University side of Line 1 will be available as an alternative during the closure.

Summerhill, College and King stations will be closed. All other stations will remain open for fare sales and connection to surface routes and Line 2.

Customers who require Wheel-Trans service can speak with any TTC customer service staff member for assistance.

Monday-Thursday

Mon., Nov. 2 through Thurs., Nov. 5, subway service on the portion of Line 1 between Sheppard-Yonge and Eglinton stations will end nightly at 11 p.m. for tunnel and signal upgrades.

Replacement shuttle buses will run, stopping at each station along the route. TTC staff will be on hand to direct customers to shuttle boarding and offloading locations, which will vary from station to station. In addition to the shuttles, the 97 Yonge bus and the University side of Line 1 will be available as alternatives during the closure.

All stations will remain open for fare sales and access to surface routes and Line 4.

At York Mills Station, the Old York Mills Rd. entrance/exit will be closed. At Lawrence Station, the automatic entrances/exits at Ranleigh Ave. and Bedford Park Ave. will also be closed. Other entrances and exits will be available for customers at each subway station.

Customers who require Wheel-Trans service can speak with any TTC customer service staff member for assistance.

Also next week Mon., Nov., 2 through Thurs., Nov. 5, trains on Line 1 between Spadina and St George stations will alternate use of the southbound tracks to accommodate track work on the northbound tracks. This will begin nightly at midnight.

Customers will need to board northbound trains on the southbound platforms at Spadina and St George stations and may experience slightly longer than normal wait times. Customer service representatives will be available to provide assistance.

All regular service will resume each following morning at approximately 6 a.m.

While the TTC does most subway maintenance at the conclusion of service each night, it continues to require weekend and early weeknight closures to complete critical infrastructure and state of good repair work as well as ATC signal upgrades.

Oct 31
TTC sure not sure how to deal with COVID-19 on their equipment to the point not every vehicle is setup the same. The first subway train had the driver/guard block off and no signs on the seat. the next one had the guard area block off and signs on seats. Other cars were more 60-40 with no signs. Same apply to buses and streetcars. A few streetcars had the yellow strip over seats, but most did not.

Regardless of signs being on seats, riders sat on them, especially single seats. Best to remove them.

When in Windsor, buses were free to ride with the area to the accessibility seats tape off and rear door boarding.Only system I seen in the last month doing this.
50555580828_b5464cd464_b.jpg

50555580958_e58c75fcf9_b.jpg

Keele Bus terminal should be open late Nov or early Dec as work is almost done for the new elevators. Sure looks a lot better than before.
50556444732_cd463e8bfb_b.jpg

50556444597_991bcb4c6d_b.jpg

50556444427_8ece494a61_b.jpg

50555579033_9170cdb21f_b.jpg

50556444157_4f4e9f6175_b.jpg

50555578288_d1d57e941b_b.jpg

TTC is shooting themselves in the foot trying to confuse riders by having vehicles with no sign, 4 different types of signs, peak load buses off peak to the point more riders standing than empty seats with sign or peak load with all seats fill. 34 and 54 were good example of this today. Why even try using signs when other systems have given up on them in the first place.

Then the line 2 train I was on has seats sign while 6 out of Line 2 trains had no signs. One line 2 driver/guard end had the yellow strip blocking access to the seat while one had a red strip and one with a green masking tape. The others had none. One train had the sign on the diver at the door with one of the seat and backing missing. The last train I was on it had a new sign I haven't seen before saying do not use and less traveling with someone.

Then, a 504 had a new style of sign not close to buses or subway as well the yellow strip on one side.

Note, 5006 as noted above has the missing seat as well no yellow strip today

Photos to follow.

Nov 06
New style of Platform On Howard Park that will be use on Roncesvalles platform replacement.

They move the Howard Park stop to the east side of the street to the east on Dundas.
50575742553_3e40bf2f9b_b.jpg

50575742638_c3e1300dcd_b.jpg

50575742783_ff3e91f5eb_b.jpg

50575742928_b9b3d70a72_b.jpg

50575743088_91748c309e_b.jpg

50575743298_f5bfd7f7f9_b.jpg

50576612917_2485b5ee75_b.jpg

50575743583_a35be07b3d_b.jpg

50576471736_3232b4e798_b.jpg

Is Dundas finally open again through this area? It's been very frustrating getting downtown from the west because there are simultaneous construction bottlenecks on Bloor, College, Dupont, Dufferin, Spadina, and Ossington (the usual lack of planning by the city).

Is Dundas finally open again through this area? It's been very frustrating getting downtown from the west because there are simultaneous construction bottlenecks on Bloor, College, Dupont, Dufferin, Spadina, and Ossington (the usual lack of planning by the city).
On Friday, only buses for 505 and 506

The agenda for the November 16th TTC meeting is out.

Link here: http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...on_meetings/2020/November_16/Agenda/index.jsp

Its quiet'ish agenda, but there are a few tidbits.

First, the Agenda:

1605036445068.png

Item 1 (CEO) report has some info on 'Rapid TO'

Item 4 is about a decision to close Line 1 btw Sheppard and Finch for about 2 weeks in order to do asbestos removal.

Item 7 is about a potential second exit for Lawrence West Station to Dell Park Avenue

Item 8 details schedules and costs for many current and upcoming elevator projects

Item 11 is a motion to request Metrolinx to fund 2 elevators at all transfer stations on new lines.

This from the CEO's Report seems a remarkably slow process; I realise it's complicated, but ...

Pending budget approval, the current proposed schedule will have the entire network capable of exclusively operating on pantograph by Q1 2025, at which time we’ll realize the full benefits of the pantograph technology.

This from the CEO's Report seems a remarkably slow process; I realise it's complicated, but ...

Pending budget approval, the current proposed schedule will have the entire network capable of exclusively operating on pantograph by Q1 2025, at which time we’ll realize the full benefits of the pantograph technology.
This illustrates exactly why the TTC is a laughing stalk of an organization that's ineptly managed. There is absolutely no excuse (zero whatsoever) for it to take this long for pantographs to be fully operational. I have no idea how they managed to stretch the conversion into nearly a 10 year long project, but if anyone can find a way to make that happen it would be this joke of an organization.

I would say people should get fired over this, but who am I kidding these people have the cushiest jobs in the city.

Someone with more inside knowledge than I might wish to contribute here..........

But I suspect the issue is that the TTC is doing all of this work in-house; it has finite crew time, the crew who do this work do other projects as well.

The TTC likely doesn't envision any temporary hiring, nor outsourcing to complete this work.

That's entirely conjecture on my part; I will stand to be corrected if needs be.

To the extent that I am correct; I disagree w/how this is organized and think it would have made sense to hire/train a dedicated crew for this and/or outsource it, with a much tighter timeline (say 2 years?).

Someone with more inside knowledge than I might wish to contribute here..........

But I suspect the issue is that the TTC is doing all of this work in-house; it has finite crew time, the crew who do this work do other projects as well.

The TTC likely doesn't envision any temporary hiring, nor outsourcing to complete this work.

That's entirely conjecture on my part; I will stand to be corrected if needs be.

To the extent that I am correct; I disagree w/how this is organized and think it would have made sense to hire/train a dedicated crew for this and/or outsource it, with a much tighter timeline (say 2 years?).

A problem that the TTC has had since the 1990's. UNDERFUNDING!

Back