News   Jul 17, 2024
 463     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 611     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Free St. Patrick's Day service on some TTC routes courtesy of Jameson Irish Whiskey

March 8, 2018

On Sat., Mar. 17, TTC customers will ride free from 4 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. on the 501 Queen, 504 King and 514 Cherry routes courtesy of Jameson Irish Whiskey, providing Torontonians with a safe ride to and from local St. Patrick's Day festivities.

To help revellers make the most of their St. Patrick's Day celebrations, Jameson and the TTC have partnered with Canadian indie rock band Hollerado to perform for customers on select streetcars on these routes from 4-7 p.m.

"The TTC is proud to partner with Jameson Irish Whiskey to offer safe, reliable service free of charge this St. Patrick's Day," said TTC Chair Josh Colle. "We hope customers will take advantage of the complimentary service and have a safe and fun celebration."

"St. Patrick's Day is one of our most celebrated days of the year, with many consumers raising a glass of Jameson and Ginger to celebrate," said Maria Sweeney, Senior Brand Manager, Jameson Irish Whiskey. "Our partnership with the TTC demonstrates Jameson's commitment to enjoying St. Patrick's Day while ensuring responsible consumption."

Fare boxes on buses and legacy streetcars on 501 and 504 routes will be covered, as will PRESTO card readers. Customers connecting to the subway or another route from the 501, 504 or 514 must pay their fare when entering or boarding at their transfer point.

Jameson Irish Whiskey and the TTC encourage Torontonians to take public transit; please don't drink and drive.

Free St. Patrick's Day service on some TTC routes courtesy of Jameson Irish Whiskey

March 8, 2018

On Sat., Mar. 17, TTC customers will ride free from 4 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. on the 501 Queen, 504 King and 514 Cherry routes courtesy of Jameson Irish Whiskey, providing Torontonians with a safe ride to and from local St. Patrick's Day festivities.

To help revellers make the most of their St. Patrick's Day celebrations, Jameson and the TTC have partnered with Canadian indie rock band Hollerado to perform for customers on select streetcars on these routes from 4-7 p.m.

"The TTC is proud to partner with Jameson Irish Whiskey to offer safe, reliable service free of charge this St. Patrick's Day," said TTC Chair Josh Colle. "We hope customers will take advantage of the complimentary service and have a safe and fun celebration."

"St. Patrick's Day is one of our most celebrated days of the year, with many consumers raising a glass of Jameson and Ginger to celebrate," said Maria Sweeney, Senior Brand Manager, Jameson Irish Whiskey. "Our partnership with the TTC demonstrates Jameson's commitment to enjoying St. Patrick's Day while ensuring responsible consumption."

Fare boxes on buses and legacy streetcars on 501 and 504 routes will be covered, as will PRESTO card readers. Customers connecting to the subway or another route from the 501, 504 or 514 must pay their fare when entering or boarding at their transfer point.

Jameson Irish Whiskey and the TTC encourage Torontonians to take public transit; please don't drink and drive.

Forgot the link.

Historically, trains going NB on University line were very slow approaching Sheppard West when it was a terminal station as they were taken out of service there and for whatever reason that caused a backlog. Seems like a design flaw but that's not the point.

The extension to Vaughan is operating for a few months now and I've noticed trains are often still really slow NB once past Eglinton West. I get off at Wilson, and from time to time the train will be short-turned there. There are many announcements. I never hear announcements that the train is being taken out of service at Sheppard West though, unless its only after it has left Wilson that they make them.

My question is, why are trains still so slow once past Eglinton West? And are a significant number trains being taken out of service at Sheppard West?

TTC launches sixth annual Customer Charter

March 9, 2018

This week the TTC released its 2018 Customer Charter that includes, among dozens of other new commitments, the introduction of two-hour time-based transfers.

The sixth annual Charter is designed to track promises and improvements that benefit customers in areas like accessibility, safety and reliability of service. It also holds TTC's management accountable for progress against these commitments.

Highlights of this year's Charter include:
- Adding service on up to 20 bus and streetcar routes to help reduce overcrowding during peak hours.
- Equipping all subway stations with at least one new PRESTO vending machine.
- Completing the installation of new fare gates so that all subway station entrances are PRESTO-enabled.
- Piloting solar-powered passenger information displays to provide real-time information on vehicle arrivals at stops.
- Installing high-capacity bicycle parking racks at up to 49 stations, more than doubling the existing bike parking capacity.
- Deploying 200 new, redesigned, clean diesel buses featuring two passenger information displays, USB charging ports and three individually operated flip-down seats to create space for strollers and large passenger belongings.
- Diversifying and modernizing the Wheel-Trans fleet with 69 new redesigned and accessible vehicles.

"This year's Customer Charter strongly demonstrates the TTC's commitment to accessibility, safety and reliability of service," said TTC Chair Josh Colle. "With the introduction of two-hour time-based transfers, completion of all PRESTO-enabled fare gate installations, added service on crowded bus and streetcar routes, and modernization of the Wheel-Trans fleet, the charter will ensure that the TTC is accountable and responsive to the commitments it has made to its loyal customers."

This year, the Charter also highlights the TTC Way, a renewed commitment to customers, employees and community partners that includes six guiding values for improved service.

For more on the 2018 Customer Charter and the TTC Way, please visit https://eur01.safelinks.protection....4QAIypbpuTZkSRwbh8bRk3wgFFqlutWw8=&reserved=0.

TTC launches sixth annual Customer Charter

March 9, 2018

This week the TTC released its 2018 Customer Charter that includes, among dozens of other new commitments, the introduction of two-hour time-based transfers.

The sixth annual Charter is designed to track promises and improvements that benefit customers in areas like accessibility, safety and reliability of service. It also holds TTC's management accountable for progress against these commitments.

Highlights of this year's Charter include:
- Adding service on up to 20 bus and streetcar routes to help reduce overcrowding during peak hours.
- Equipping all subway stations with at least one new PRESTO vending machine.
- Completing the installation of new fare gates so that all subway station entrances are PRESTO-enabled.
- Piloting solar-powered passenger information displays to provide real-time information on vehicle arrivals at stops.
- Installing high-capacity bicycle parking racks at up to 49 stations, more than doubling the existing bike parking capacity.
- Deploying 200 new, redesigned, clean diesel buses featuring two passenger information displays, USB charging ports and three individually operated flip-down seats to create space for strollers and large passenger belongings.
- Diversifying and modernizing the Wheel-Trans fleet with 69 new redesigned and accessible vehicles.

"This year's Customer Charter strongly demonstrates the TTC's commitment to accessibility, safety and reliability of service," said TTC Chair Josh Colle. "With the introduction of two-hour time-based transfers, completion of all PRESTO-enabled fare gate installations, added service on crowded bus and streetcar routes, and modernization of the Wheel-Trans fleet, the charter will ensure that the TTC is accountable and responsive to the commitments it has made to its loyal customers."

This year, the Charter also highlights the TTC Way, a renewed commitment to customers, employees and community partners that includes six guiding values for improved service.

For more on the 2018 Customer Charter and the TTC Way, please visit https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https://www.ttc.ca/Customer_Service/Customer_Charter/2018_charter.jsp&data=02|01||70054e7ba4884df7d5d908d585d6f369|84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa|1|0|636562080606308164&sdata=1ti1Fw3kj14QAIypbpuTZkSRwbh8bRk3wgFFqlutWw8=&reserved=0.

I'm quite pleased to see the flip-down seats on buses, in the stroller/accessible area, I've been pushing the TTC on that one for awhile (I'm sure I'm not alone).

The new bike parking capacity and next vehicle displays at shelters are also very welcome.

Now....about heated shelters, particularly for low-service routes, at stops nowhere near retail.

In the April-June quarter, the TTC plans on:

• We will launch an improved and redesigned customer-friendly website to make accessing information about TTC services more convenient.
  • We will introduce the Fair Pass Program to make transit more affordable for eligible low-income residents.

The current TTC website (see link) was implemented in 2008, when Adam Giambrone was Chair. See blogTO link from 2008. It was a VAST improvement over the old one. However, it has been ten years, so time for an upgrade.

In the July-September quarter, the TTC plans on:
  • We will expand the bicycle repair stop network at stations from 29 stops to a minimum of 44. The repair stops will feature wrenches, Allen keys, screw drivers, and an air pump to help cyclists make minor repairs to their bicycles as they complete the first and last mile of their journey.
  • We will commence the construction phase at Wilson and Runnymede Stations as part of the Easier Access program to make stations accessible to everyone, regardless of their level of mobility.
  • We will commence the construction phase at Chester Station as part of both the Easier Access program to make stations accessible to everyone and the Second Exit program to improve customer safety and create another entrance for customer convenience.
  • We will roll out new technology to improve route management and real-time information for buses and streetcars. The technology will allow for more consistent service and make it easier for you to plan your trip.
  • We will introduce two-hour time-based transfers, simplifying the transfer process and making multiple short distance trips more affordable.
  • We will work with Bike Share Toronto to incorporate docking stations at a minimum of five additional TTC stations, making it easier for cyclists to complete the first and last mile of their journey.
  • We will receive 200 new redesigned, clean diesel buses featuring USB ports for charging smart devices, three individually operated flip-down seats to create space for strollers and large passenger belongings, and two passenger information displays.
  • We will work with Bombardier to increase the number of new low-floor, accessible streetcars in service from 57 to 100.
  • We will complete the installation of new fare gates. Every station and every entrance will be PRESTO-enabled.
  • We will introduce a limited-use paper PRESTO card to replace cash fares and make accessing transit easier for infrequent customers.
  • We will move Adult and Senior Monthly Passes onto PRESTO. This milestone brings us one step closer to the full adoption of PRESTO.

Finally, we can charge our smartphones on the buses (if we carry the cords, of course). But what about the streetcars and subway trains?

I'm quite pleased to see the flip-down seats on buses, in the stroller/accessible area, I've been pushing the TTC on that one for awhile (I'm sure I'm not alone).

The new bike parking capacity and next vehicle displays at shelters are also very welcome.

Now....about heated shelters, particularly for low-service routes, at stops nowhere near retail.
I have been pushing flip down seats on all "TRANSIT" vehicles since 2003, and nice to see them on the TR, Flexity, but not on buses yet.

By having flip down seats, allows more room for stroller, luggage and not having the driver to flip up the seat for accessibility riders.

Having next vehicle in shelters long over due and will tell riders to hike it if the wait is too long.

Historically, trains going NB on University line were very slow approaching Sheppard West when it was a terminal station as they were taken out of service there and for whatever reason that caused a backlog. Seems like a design flaw but that's not the point.

The extension to Vaughan is operating for a few months now and I've noticed trains are often still really slow NB once past Eglinton West. I get off at Wilson, and from time to time the train will be short-turned there. There are many announcements. I never hear announcements that the train is being taken out of service at Sheppard West though, unless its only after it has left Wilson that they make them.

My question is, why are trains still so slow once past Eglinton West? And are a significant number trains being taken out of service at Sheppard West?

The current head of subway operations - who was parachuted in from Transport for London - seems to think that because it can be done in London that almost all of the afternoon run-in trains can do it northbound from Wilson Station. This is despite the fact that the maneuver from the northbound main to the yard requires operating through two limited-speed crossovers and occupying the southbound main for enough time to line and lock the switches, time everything out, change the northbound home signal to green, allow that northbound train to traverse all of that trackwork and clear the safe limits, time the signal system out, realign the switches and lock them and have the north and southbound mains reset to clear.

So yeah, it's been a bit of a cluster.

The April board period will change this back to the older standard of running trains into the yard southbound, where they don't have to occupy both mains.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The current head of subway operations - who was parachuted in from Transport for London - seems to think that because it can be done in London that almost all of the afternoon run-in trains can do it northbound from Wilson Station. This is despite the fact that the maneuver from the northbound main to the yard requires operating through two limited-speed crossovers and occupying the southbound main for enough time to line and lock the switches, time everything out, change the northbound home signal to green, allow that northbound train to traverse all of that trackwork and clear the safe limits, time the signal system out, realign the switches and lock them and have the north and southbound mains reset to clear.

So yeah, it's been a bit of a cluster.

The April board period will change this back to the older standard of running trains into the yard southbound, where they don't have to occupy both mains.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Is a fly-under/over completely unnecessary for this location?

Is a fly-under/over completely unnecessary for this location?

Unnecessary, or necessary? Because there isn't a flyover or flyunder there now.

Long term, the TTC has made allowances for a fully grade-separated yard access in both directions to be built for the yard. The impending extension of Transit Rd. also protects for it.

Thanks Dan. So what % of NB trains are being taken out of service at Sheppard West?

Right now, scheduled it's zero. As an absolute worst-case, I have been told that they will run trains north to Finch West, into the third track, and back south to enter the yard - but this is not being done on a regular basis. I haven't seen the schedules for the April board yet, so I don't know what is planned beyond the ceasing of running trains in northbound while service is running.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I'm totally ignorant as to this, but it looks like there is work going on to expand Wilson yard on the North side with tons of flattened land and tracks? Is this happening and if so why (I don't think we are aquiring more rolling stock soon?)
The TTC are building an exit from north of Wilson Yard.

Back