News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 415     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

For the love of god why can they not just display "Sheppard West" on the destination sign?? Instead of making it so much more complicated to read and having it scroll? Since the TTC co-operates with MTA on somethings, couldn't they just take a page out of MTA's playbook when it comes to destination signage. Also make the text bold and larger. It should honestly take a split second to figure out where the train is destined.

No scroll, no complicated text; KISS 101:

maxresdefault.jpg

For the love of god why can they not just display "Sheppard West" on the destination sign?? Instead of making it so much more complicated to read and having it scroll?

I think the display on the front of the train is too small, too bad they couldn't have made it as large as the banner text on the previous trains.

While TTC is busy rejecting the 2-hour transfer (for now), other cities use various time intervals depending on how much one pays.

In Prague, see link, you can buy a 30 minutes fare (for 24 CZK or $1.36 CDN) or a 90 minute fare (for 32 CZK or $1.81 CDN), in addition to an all day pass or a three day pass.

Ticket%20Prague.jpg

As I said elsewhere TFL in London has their hopper fare where you can transfer between Busses or Trams within an hour without an extra fare. I found it useful when I was there although I was not a fan of the busses as much, I preferred the tube.

See here: https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/hopper-fare

I get a chuckle from the TTC when they claim things cannot be done. London is a much bigger system than Toronto and yet they do not cry foul over time based transfers.

Allow me to put this into perspective for everyone. The TTC insists that legacy payments must remain for tourists and others however they are almost completely cashless. You cannot pay for the Tube, Overground, DLR, Busses and soon Trams with Cash. You need an Oyster card to use transit in London unless you have a contactless card.

See here: https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/rail/cashless-trams/?cid=cashless-trams

With that in mind, there are plenty of machines across the system that will dispense and load the cards unlike Toronto which is pretty much useless when it comes to Presto card purchases for tourists. Their machines display your balance when loading which according to the TTC is a violation of privacy and human rights (they cannot hear it if they are deaf and people can see their personal info on the machines). Even the readers on the busses show the balance when you tap.

The TTC seems to be more focused on saying things cannot be done rather than looking around and seeing they can.

Can you imagine what would happen if TFL said tourists could pay cash, eliminated time based transfers and made getting cards difficult? There would be an utter revolt.

The TTC really needs to modernise its business practices.

The TTC doesn't seem to fancy using temp tracks much. Maybe something about the weight of the CLRVs/Flexities? The bottom line is whether TIFF should get to close one of the principal streets in Toronto in both directions for that length of time. I would argue - no, they shouldn't. At most, they should get the north side of the street and allow transit traffic to operate on the south side. If they want a plaza for their annual beano, well they should have recessed Lightbox's streetwall from King.
Ironically one of the two Flexs I saw at St Clair West today had an ad wrap for TIFF on it.

Their machines display your balance when loading which according to the TTC is a violation of privacy and human rights (they cannot hear it if they are deaf and people can see their personal info on the machines). Even the readers on the busses show the balance when you tap.
The reload machines do display your balance and have a headphone jack for the blind on them like ATMs do. It's the ones at fare gates and on buses that don't show the balance and I don't really get why they need to as it will just add more time to people going through them or getting on a bus or streetcar if they stop and look at the machine all the time. Go transit is different because you actually can take the time if you really want to. Every time I've used Presto on Go transit have never seen anyone stop read red the balnce on the machine all they do is tap and go.

just add more time to people going through them or getting on a bus or streetcar if they stop and look at the machine all the time. Go transit is different because you actually can take the time if you really want to. Every time I've used Presto on Go transit have never seen anyone stop read red the balnce on the machine all they do is tap and go.
It really doesn't any time at all. The vast majority of times I take the 905 systems and GO, I can see my balance as I pass. I'm not pausing to look and read it. It just takes a glance. It's not hard.

It really doesn't any time at all. The vast majority of times I take the 905 systems and GO, I can see my balance as I pass. I'm not pausing to look and read it. It just takes a glance. It's not hard.
It dosn't take aa lotof time on them becuse they don't have the same number of poele baording them constently. I still don't get why you wopuld need to know how much you have left on your card when you baord a vechele . It doesn't make sense to me when you can check it in much more convent palces.

I missed this previously, but there is a confidential report on Danforth Garage (Coxwell-Danforth) at today's commission meeting. Disposal imminent?
This was off camera, so no one knows. I believe there will be a report back to the Board in March 2018. Its interesting how TTC changed their tune from very much against it, to now being more open on the whole matter. Its as if someone talked to them and are now willing to negotiate. If I remember correctly there was a councilor that wanted it designated as a historical building. Not sure if it was the local councilor or Joe Mihevc.

I'm sure TTC can use it for testing facility for all-electric buses. It seems like a good location, its located downtown, deadhead is short, lots of the routes in the area are short, lots of stop-and-go, etc.

I think residential development of the property and a upgrade of the existing facility for TTC employees is where I'm putting my money.

Last edited:
A Chinese electric bus company has been lobbying Councillor Minnan-Wong , and in the most recent TTC board meeting he appeared to be maneuvering to have the TTC put in an order for their buses:

Is A TTC Bus Technology Gerrymander In The Works?

Did the TTC look at battery power and decide on clean diesel? Or did they ignore this tech and go with their existing relationships whom have given the management way too many steak dinners? I mean that is prohibited (cough cough)

Steve Munro is a bit out of touch with worldwide developments in buses. There are over 5000 of these on the roads and have logged millions of miles. Not a product that has not been tested. Did the TTC review and dismiss this tech? Or just ignore it?

They are also cheaper. Per bus around $500k (versus the $750k for the Nova bus proposal). And has a lower operating cost (nighttime energy rates vs diesel fuel).

It is the Board's duty to ensure that the management has given them all the relevant facts before making a decision. Proper governance. They are not there just to rubber stamp. However, I do think that they should have reviewed the process earlier (assuming management received approval on the process from day 1).

Did the TTC look at battery power and decide on clean diesel?

No.

"In an unusual move, the Board entertained a last-minute addition to the deputations list, two representatives of a builder of battery buses, BYD. This is a Chinese manufacturer with an office in Los Angeles and, more recently, representatives in Canada. BYD did not bid on this RFP because it specified clean diesel technology which they do not supply."

Back