News   Jun 17, 2024
 33     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 119     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 296     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Must have thought that one-way sign was meant for him, not for those on the road above the entrance.

different-incident.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x724.jpg

Maybe we should expose the tracks on the 100m lead-up west of the portal. Similar to how it looks on Queensway. This would get any driver's attention.

Or we can fight fire with fire and pave the tracks to the top of rail within the tunnel. In the Italian Job remake they got through LA's light rail tunnel with ease (which then oddly transitioned to a storm drain). If we don't want drivers getting stuck perhaps we should try and improve their drive through the tunnel.

SubwayTunnels.jpg

Maybe we should expose the tracks on the 100m lead-up west of the portal. Similar to how it looks on Queensway. This would get any driver's attention.

Or we can fight fire with fire and pave the tracks to the top of rail within the tunnel. In the Italian Job remake they got through LA's light rail tunnel with ease (which then oddly transitioned to a storm drain). If we don't want drivers getting stuck perhaps we should try and improve their drive through the tunnel.

I'd say texture the concrete railbed leading into the tunnel as an extended rumble strip? Though it is clear running on the uneven raised track wasn't sufficient to stop ingress until it damages the car and it stuck. I am not sure if further increasing awareness is the solution.

AoD

Multiple do not enter signs are the most confusing thing in the world.

Indeed. I mean, you have do not enter signs right next to "streetcars excepted". So the driver sees that and thinks "hey I'm in a car, and cars drive on the street therefore I'm a streetcar and thus I'm allowed to down the tunnel". ;)

Why can't we just colour the ROW? In color-blind appropriate colour of course.
As a driver that would alert me that something is strange about driving on there.
That's a solution used in tons of cities world-wide, but of course we don't do that in Toronto. :rolleyes:

Ah, that's good to know. At least they aren't jumping out of the streetcar at this location everytime they go through to put it back again.

I'm surprised now they did the track repair between Dundas and Gerrard then (a couple of weeks ago), instead of waiting until the summer.
Broadview and Dundas (and Broadview and Gerrard) and other sections on Broadview are now up for track replacement in 2018.

Indeed. I mean, you have do not enter signs right next to "streetcars excepted". So the driver sees that and thinks "hey I'm in a car, and cars drive on the street therefore I'm a streetcar and thus I'm allowed to down the tunnel". ;)

And, of course, all drivers speak read English.

There is no need for a pictograph here, that is used internationally.

trams.gif

Lead into the tunnel at QQ and York:
upload_2017-3-2_9-27-25-png.100664

AoD

This is actually one that confuses me. I'm intending to turn left, and there are impatient cars behind me. My brain sees the street car ROW and thinks, OK, they are always in the middle of the road, so I better go around it. And my mind defaults to, veer to the right of it. Then I notice there is a lane to the left of it, also. Which do I want? (I don't know where each leads, it isn't marked)

The leftmost post has a backwards "Veer around the island" sign. Because I normally only see the right-hand version of those signs, in my haste I don't realise it is left handed (where in all of Toronto is there a left handed version of this sign?) so do I veer right of it.... onto the oncoming track? Makes no sense, so now I'm fumbling.

Yes,, there are Do Not Enter signs on both pillars, but that makes no sense because being centered on the pillars, they apply equally to the legal road lanes and the street car tracks. So....where are they telling me I should not enter? Only when you read the do not enter sign and the 'veer around the island' sign together does the message make sense. If those were 'veer around the tracks signs' with an arrow and a track logo instead of an island logo, I might get that immediately. (The HTA doesn't have such a sign, but there's always a first time). Or, stagger the do not enter signs so they relate spatially to the tracks instead of being ambiguously centered on the post.

Some broad yellow hatching on the streetcar tracks would make it a lot clearer, or arrows painted in the turn lanes, or one could paint the do not enter logo and words on the tracks. Or....lower the three meters' worth of concrete on the tracks immediately after the intersection so they don't look driveable.

Yes, if I stop and analyse the photo, and look at the detail carefully, it is all technically correct and true to the HTA..... but in that split second that as a turning motorist in traffic, do I absorb it right away? My brain doesn't. The errors I point out are logical guesses for a motorist trying to analyse the situation in a split second. Or, I may be an oddball, and may be destined to be the next car dragged out of there ;-)

The whole thing is done using legal HTA and Engineering Code signs, I admit....but it doesn't tell you enough.

- Paul

Last edited:
Broadview and Dundas (and Broadview and Gerrard) and other sections on Broadview are now up for track replacement in 2018.
Ah, that's good to know, not a surprise with all the Queen Street diversions.

Is the schedule up anywhere - normally I see it on Steve Munro's site, but I haven't seen it recently.

Ah, that's good to know, not a surprise with all the Queen Street diversions.

Is the schedule up anywhere - normally I see it on Steve Munro's site, but I haven't seen it recently.
I have not seen the complete list yet either. Steve usually posts it about now but I guess there is lots (of talk mostly!) going on with transit ....

Back