239     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 230     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 1.1K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

To be replaced by this (link):

Not much of an improvement.

Holy hell is this awful urban design for a site mere metres from a subway station.

From the website, not sure if this is meant to be ironic:

Part of the Tippett Road Regeneration Area Study, planning in the area focuses on mixed-use development in the context of reducing auto dependency that will make new way for new layout of streets, parks and open spaces.

[...]

DEVELOPMENT OBJECTIVES
  • Repurpose an underutilized site
  • Develop to better use the higher-order transit in this location
  • Enhance the streetscape through a focus on urban design

I mean, it's better than a parking lot but it's still 80% parking lot. Don't understand why anyone would think putting a power centre next to a subway station is a good idea.

In looking at the capital budget...

I'm pleased to see a big move forward on accessibility. Contracts to be let for Wellesley, King, Wilson, Yorkdale, Runnymede and Sherbourne elevators in 2017.

Things that inspire curiosity.

Why is there still cashflow on Union Stn. 2nd platform and on Victoria Park bus terminal, in 2017, one or more years after completion?

I'm pleased to see a big move forward on accessibility. Contracts to be let for Wellesley, King, Wilson, Yorkdale, Runnymede and Sherbourne elevators in 2017.

Why is there still cashflow on Union Stn. 2nd platform and on Victoria Park bus terminal, in 2017, one or more years after completion?

Don't know for sure - but some contracts might not be settled until years after completion due to deficiencies, what not?

AoD

I presume some minor finishes still might need to be installed. I'm still noticing some really small changes to signage and fixtures.

Brace yourself for more fare increases.

CxeU5fWXUAAYpu4.jpg

TTC is claiming savings in all kinds of places -- some of which are absurd or purely by luck -- and still coming up $61-million short on next year's budget.

CxeWgk_WIAEHVZv.jpg

In order to address the remaining shortfall, these are the options:
CxeVbx_XEAA6LnM.jpg
CxeVgTHXgAIcV6_.jpg

And while all this is going on, the mayor comes out and says how the TTC is "vital to success as a city", then adds that Toronto has to "look seriously at our spending across the board".

Attachments

• CxeU5fWXUAAYpu4.jpg
    CxeU5fWXUAAYpu4.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 648
  • CxeWgk_WIAEHVZv.jpg
    CxeWgk_WIAEHVZv.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 448
  • CxeVbx_XEAA6LnM.jpg
    CxeVbx_XEAA6LnM.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 460
  • CxeVgTHXgAIcV6_.jpg
    CxeVgTHXgAIcV6_.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 478
John Tory is just Rob Ford 2.0 on everyday transit. Being "rich", the increases are "small" for Tory, just as the increases for transit fares was and are "small" for the Ford family.

There is not a single person working in City Council that isn't "rich" by these standards, and who would not be affected at all by this increase financially. Who do you want to be mayor of Toronto? The homeless guy on Queen and University?

Once again, a reminder that the TTC is already the most efficient system in North America. We are grossly underfunded and yet some people think that it's ok to cut it down further.
Indeed, the farebox recovery ratio is very high for the TTC, and I got into a nasty spat with Johnny 5 on this, as he claimed the ratio was wrong. The ratio is right, but the factors of that equation may be constituted in different ways. In fact, they are, wildly so. That does not make the farebox recovery ration wrong, but it does call into question:
the TTC is already the most efficient system in North America.
I disagree on that claim. albeit it all depends on how you define "efficient". I'd say the TTC used to be vastly more efficient two generations ago, and not so efficient now.

Gave you a 'like' so don't think I'm being contrary, just that we have to be careful giving the TTC more due than they're worth. Excellent charts, btw! I think there's huge room for improvement, and one of those is in keeping Tory away from meddling in the TTC, just as the Bank of Canada or the Armed Forces are not interfered with *directly* by the Prime Minister.

I'm sure we can almost all agree that forays like the Shepherd and Scarborough subways are far from being "efficient" uses of resources, let alone not being examples of operating efficiency.

It's not by chance that the TTC blows through CEOs.

Last edited:

Back