News   Jun 28, 2024
 4K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 662     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I think that speaks more to the weakness of public transit in KC than the strength of the King car.

AoD

I think that says more about the sate of public transit in smaller cities in the US. Most poel drive everywhere like the suburbs here but also public transit is almost looked down on in some parts like it's for only people who can't afford a car or students.

Yeah no kidding. And of course they have no shortage of freeways. And their downtown is a hollowed-out shell of its former self, their waterfront destroyed by freeways. While the world series are still fresh on our minds, also check out this hellscape where the Royals were playing. Compare that to our downtown Rogers Centre.

22804739195_76aca61500_h.jpg

It's not hard to see why they have a failed transit system.
Mayor Sly James of KC, if he were smart, he should have proposed at least a BRT linking the Truman Sports Complex (shown in the quote) with the Power & Light District (the city's hipster district). Right now, how can low-income KC residents enjoy professional sports aside from getting on crowded local bus routes?

600 metres between streetcars stops downtown? We put subway stops closer together than that.

Downtown can be closer, maybe 300-400m. For example there should be only one stop between Yonge and University or between university and Spadina, do you agree?

Our bloor line stops are excessively close to each other. Even Paris with five times the population density isn't that close.

My intuitive rule of thumb would be closer to 300 meters between stops. For example, Spadina to Bathurst on College is just over 600 meters. One stop in the middle of that stretch would be plenty and that gives a 300 meter spacing. Instead for some ridiculous reason there are two stops...between August and Borden it's only 165 meters.

Another example. On Dundas, Spadina to Beverly is 330 meters...a perfectly reasonable stop spacing. Instead, in this short space, there's additional stop at Huron. They really could speed up streetcars significantly with a reduction in stops.

Totally agree. The 505 and 506 examples are perfect! Huron is like 120 meters from Spadina for Christ sake!
Our streetcar system is excellent, but the stops are killing most of its attractiveness. And it's partly the reason it's schedule is so unpredictable, Especially considering Toronto is not particularly dense. The damn bus on Western makes a stop every 200 meters, which is so retarded.

I really hope it will change. Half of existing stops should be gone. Walk for 2 more minutes. Won't kill you.

I think that says more about the sate of public transit in smaller cities in the US. Most poel drive everywhere like the suburbs here but also public transit is almost looked down on in some parts like it's for only people who can't afford a car or students.

Yes, that would be an extended indictment of the state of transit in medium/small US cities - but then again, none of it should come as any surprise.

AoD

Totally agree. The 505 and 506 examples are perfect! Huron is like 120 meters from Spadina for Christ sake!
Our streetcar system is excellent, but the stops are killing most of its attractiveness. And it's partly the reason it's schedule is so unpredictable, Especially considering Toronto is not particularly dense. The damn bus on Western makes a stop every 200 meters, which is so retarded.

I really hope it will change. Half of existing stops should be gone. Walk for 2 more minutes. Won't kill you.

Here we go again...

Yeah and someone mentioned one Paris RER Line carries more passengers than all of GO Transit. What's the point of these useless comparisons which seem more like belittling?

The fact that a little trolly line gets more ridership than the entire transit system of a city with well over 2 million people (metropolitan) is a staggering indictment to the failure of transit in Kansas City and their build form. In fact, even London Ontario has better transit ridership than Kansas City. There is no positive way to spin this.

What's to wow about?
Beijing registered a total ridership of 3.5 billion in 2014, just the subway system alone. And as someone mentioned, two of its lines exceed the entire TTC system.
Feeling wow facing Kansas City is ... Sad.The TTC does not wow anyone.

I'm tired of you always comparing Toronto to Asian megacities in so many threads. Beijing is over 20 million people, which couldn't be a more irrelevant comparison but I'm not surprised that you will compare us to anyone in your efforts to disparage Toronto. Lets all be jealous of Beijing, yeah right.

1376471868770185_840_560.jpg

Compare apples to apples please.

Attachments

• 1376471868770185_840_560.jpg
    1376471868770185_840_560.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 821
I'm tired of you always comparing Toronto to Asian megacities in so many threads. Beijing is over 20 million people, which couldn't be a more irrelevant comparison but I'm not surprised that you will compare us to anyone in your efforts to disparage Toronto. Lets all be jealous of Beijing, yeah right.
Well over 20 million now. Metro area must be pushing 25 millon.

A more comparable city would be Tangshan. Their rapid transit system consists of about 1,800 buses. Very backwards.

Compare apples to apples please.
For the same reason, the comparison shouldn't be to brutal military dictatorships.

For the same reason, the comparison shouldn't be to brutal military dictatorships.
No city in North America or Europe these days can build subway lines as fast as Shanghai due to something called "labour rights," "environmental assessments," and "public open houses."

Democracy gave us labour rights, environmental assessments, and public open houses, which don't exist in dictatorships. If a dictator wants something built, it will be built, not delayed indefinitely due to "unforeseen circumstances" or "public opposition."

Well over 20 million now. Metro area must be pushing 25 millon.

A more comparable city would be Tangshan. Their rapid transit system consists of about 1,800 buses. Very backwards.

I agree comparing Beijing isn't fair but nor is Taishan. It is a nondescript non important Chinese city no Chinese person ever talks about (nobody in China gives a damn about it really), while Toronto is the financial centre, Ontario capital, alpha city. A more fair comparison would be Nanjing or Hangzhou at least, capitals of richer provinces.

I took the BJ example not because it is fair but precisely because it is not fair to show how silly it is to compare with Kansas City and feel all wowed.

I am tired about the dictatorship argument. When subways are built, they are built to serve people. End of story.

and comparing Tonronto to KC, which has 460k people on 830km sq, is? We have 2.8 million on 630km sq.
It appears you are quire unaware about Kansas City and it's history. Like many American cities, it's divided into many small political units. However, Kansas City Area Transportation Authority that carries only about 50,000 passengers a day serves multiple political units, closer to 2 million. The 460,000 you quote is just for one city in Missouri. The agency itself serves 7 counties in two different states.

Also, you seem to have forgotten the history here. Back in the 1940s Kansas City rivalled Toronto, with hundreds of streetcars and 25 streetcar lines. They still had streetcar lines that carried over 40,000 a day on a single route in the 1950s. And now the entire system only carried 50,000? It's absolutely shocking for what was a quite comparable 70 years ago.

Back