147     0 
News   Sep 12, 2024
 788     0 
News   Sep 12, 2024
 456     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Toronto Star reports...

Rogers, TTC to pull the plug on free Wi-Fi in subway stations​

TConnect is exhibiting poor performance, is vulnerable to cyber attacks, and its usage has declined by 65 per cent in 12 months.

(BTW. Former Toronto Mayor John H. Tory is a director on the board of Rogers. Hmmm.)

Honestly, it makes sense.

Wi-Fi in stations is somewhat pointless when it takes a minute or two to connect. By the time you have connected you either missed a train or the train is arriving.

Having a mobile signal in the station is far more useful.

Depending on your mobile phone plan, using your cellular data for calls and texts can be expensive. But WiFi is usually cheaper, so using your internet connection instead can provide a cost-saving advantage. Cheaper to use WiFi than Cell service.

When at home, friends, or where-ever there is WiFi, I use the WiFi connection for my cell phone to save money. Sometimes the reception is better.

Depending on your mobile phone plan, using your cellular data for calls and texts can be expensive. But WiFi is usually cheaper, so using your internet connection instead can provide a cost-saving advantage. Cheaper to use WiFi than Cell service.

Fair but unless you are streaming Netflix on the subway it won't matter much. Checking a couple emails or seeing when your next bus is coming does not use much if any data.

I have 150 GB of Data and only use (at most) 3 to 5 GB each month (30 days).

Also.. long gone are the days where you were only able to send a certain number of texts before being charged.

Honestly, it makes sense.

Wi-Fi in stations is somewhat pointless when it takes a minute or two to connect. By the time you have connected you either missed a train or the train is arriving.

Having a mobile signal in the station is far more useful.
I think it's a bad move. The contract was for 20 years and we cut it short half way through, it might be "ok" for most people in the city but it sucks for tourists.

The only reason it was slow is because they had issues with the authentication portal, I saw it changed providers many times.

He cited the “radical” drop in usage, and said the cost to replace TConnect, which has been estimated at $17 million, “does not feel like a wise investment.” For those who need public Wi-Fi access “there are literally thousands of connection points around the city,” Green said.

Holy shit what are theese access points running?
Theres no way it should be that much

Are the pay phones being returned to the underground stations? :eek:

When did they leave? When was that last time you were in a subway station, Walter?

Most, if not all, still have payphones. fewer than they used to, mind you, but they're still around.

Back