News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.2K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.8K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

So it’s a case of one rail switching and the other not (left and right). I don’t know much about this but on traditional rail switches aren’t the left and right of the switch coupled by a joint with one controlling actuator? I guess not the case for these rails sunk in to the road surface, probably cheaper to stick two separately wired actuators down there (better yet, probably cheaper to upgrade the tech to save all this mess).
The mechanism you are describing where the left and right points move is not used on the streetcar network. The surface network uses single-point switches, where only one point is used on the inside rail of the curve. The outside rail follows the path it is pulled into by the inside rail but there are no moving parts on that part of the track.

TTC Board today has an extra Agenda item.

Supplementary Agenda

17.Receipt of Advice from External Counsel (Confidential Attachment - this report contains information that is subject to solicitor-client privilege) (For Action)

Hmmmmm

I wouldn't read too much into it.

It's probably nothing.

Why are you so scared?
My loved ones running into trouble since they travel either before the AM rush or in the evenings. You need to look at trends for stuff like this, things are a lot worse than 10 years ago and it’s only accelerating. I’d love to see hope things with change but the powers that be only want to make examples of people defending themselves

LOL. Depend on Rogers for connectivity and this is inevitable.
More critical infrastructure like water supply/distribution systems use a combination of hardwired networks and 5G. When there is a failure of all the networks, the control system response is to run in auto and store data to forward to a central node later.

Unfortunately, in the case of contactless payment processing it would be problematic to accept payment on a downed network. Contactless smart cards are, for most purposes, read-only. Presto doesn’t store a balance or what time your transfer will expire, just a secure serial associated with your account.

So what can the TTC do to avoid these revenue losses? Obviously network redundancy is the first priority but, as a failsafe, I still think there is value in a store and forward system. Fare gates can decode the card information locally to identify an account. Require users to tap at fare gates, store for later, don’t report cost or transfer time, don’t even check if they have a sufficient balance. When the network is back forward to the central database where each account charge can be calculated and applied after the fact (maybe as a convenience don’t apply overdraft charges).

There are some corner cases to polish; partial outages may lead users to be over charged – though this is correctable when networks are restored. I think it’s good enough to throw some pennies at qualified consultants. Would be cheaper to scale than redundant networks.

TTC CEO Rick Leary has announced he's resigning.

1718907186213.png

Via Twitter

Back