News   Jul 17, 2024
 119     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 751     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 534     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Indeed. Actually installing the doors is cheap.

Last time I saw a breakdown (IIRC Miller was mayor) a lot of the cost was asbestos removal, structurally reinforcing the platform edges, running electrical and network conduit, and fire/smoke handling improvements for the tunnel.

I concur w/this; though would note, a whole of ventilation improvement has been invested in for the last 10 years;

Also, the project scope should be the same now as 10 years ago, but the estimates per station are over triple (inclusive of future year inflation); on constant scope, that rate of increase seems dubious.

I concur w/this; though would note, a whole of ventilation improvement has been invested in for the last 10 years;

Also, the project scope should be the same now as 10 years ago, but the estimates per station are over triple (inclusive of future year inflation); on constant scope, that rate of increase seems dubious.
There are doors and there are doors. I have been in transit systems where the doors are at waist height (high enough to be a barrier but still climbable) and others were they are part of a floor to ceiling barrier. The former kind clearly require less (or no) ventilation changes, the latter do.

There are doors and there are doors. I have been in transit systems where the doors are at waist height (high enough to be a barrier but still climbable) and others were they are part of a floor to ceiling barrier. The former kind clearly require less (or no) ventilation changes, the latter do.

True, but if you look at the articles I linked, both were higher than waist-height doors.

Also, I did note, I talked to a near-certain bidder on the project in evaluating things.

True, but if you look at the articles I linked, both were higher than waist-height doors.

Also, I did note, I talked to a near-certain bidder on the project in evaluating things.
Of course, true but why do we need full-height doors (in most, or even any, stations)??? I think the specs should be evaluated by the TTC or an independent engineer not possible/probable bidders, of course bidders will want to do a de-luxe job (or, at least, charge for one) when we may only need a utilitarian one, done properly and fast! In that vein, perhaps Sanscon should be discouraged from bidding :->

At last!!
1702747707355.png

Excepting Bloor-Yonge,that is correct.

Now, here's what caught me about that.........they've got PEDs in that budget at over 70M per station.
Interesting.

2% inflation over 10 years would result in a 21% increase in cost at the end of that period. 3% is ~35%. I wonder if the cost inflation you’re seeing is all chalked up to estimated construction cost inflation over the period at the end of which they anticipate receipt of funding.

This is a huge (hidden) cost to the current North American practice of delaying construction for as long as possible: land values and construction costs increase a lot, causing the original cost envelope to be exceeded big time. Compounding works against you. We’d be way better off if we just funded changes now as opposed to just waiting.

Interesting.

2% inflation over 10 years would result in a 21% increase in cost at the end of that period. 3% is ~35%. I wonder if the cost inflation you’re seeing is all chalked up to estimated construction cost inflation over the period at the end of which they anticipate receipt of funding.

This is a huge (hidden) cost to the current North American practice of delaying construction for as long as possible: land values and construction costs increase a lot, causing the original cost envelope to be exceeded big time. Compounding works against you. We’d be way better off if we just funded changes now as opposed to just waiting.

There's also the matter of whether you fund the projects capital from current, or you debt-finance (and to what degree).

Interest rates have risen, imagine recalculating a project that at base is 1.4B, but financed over 25 years was 2B with a 200 basis point rise in interest rates.

The difference above is an extra ~500M giving you a total budget of 2.5B

Last edited:
The other factor being that construction inflation has significantly outpaced the misleading and artificially low CPI measure over the last 20 years. Makes for sticker shock and unpleasant surprises when calculating project costs.

Reactions: DSC
CP24 reports this sad event. Though I assume it was the bus not the driver that hit the girl:
View attachment 528017
I drove passed by the area a few minutes after the accident. The 73B bus making a right being in that location gave it a way that she was smack pretty hard by the bus. Just say someone laying face down motionless right at the corner by the green fence. It's quite hard to see with at the corner if someone is to jump out as there is no proper sidewalk or pedestrian waiting area. It's a very poor pedestrian unfriendly construction zone.

The headline is a stupid way to extend it. Who else would be responsible for a bus vs pedestrian accident? A rider? If someone who stole the bus would still be a "driver" of the bus at the time. Just not a TTC driver. If the driver struck the girl with a weapon, it would be assaulted by the driver.

I was going southbound from Sheppard West last night right before the incident at St. Clair West. Are the out of service announcements louder and clearer than before or is it just me?

Back