News   Jun 28, 2024
 5K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 709     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The TTC's "safety" requirements includes having streetcars stop at each single-point track switch. Instead of improving them with double-point switches (for example), they go with the "cheapest" solution.
Clearly you don't understand why they do that it has nothing to do with the type of switch but because there is no signal for the operator to be able to see how the switch is set. They stop to check it because it could be set wrong or have not responded to the signal from the operator.

Clearly you don't understand why they do that it has nothing to do with the type of switch but because there is no signal for the operator to be able to see how the switch is set. They stop to check it because it could be set wrong or have not responded to the signal from the operator.
When we ran PCC trains on Bloor Street or the Peter Witt streetcar & trailers on Yonge Street, they were able to run them at speed through the single-point track switches. They could replace them with switches that provide an indication, but the TTC has to go with the "cheapest" solution instead of the "best" solution because of the lack of funding.

When we ran PCC trains on Bloor Street or the Peter Witt streetcar & trailers on Yonge Street, they were able to run them at speed through the single-point track switches. They could replace them with switches that provide an indication, but the TTC has to go with the "cheapest" solution instead of the "best" solution because of the lack of funding.
It's not as simple as you make it sound they would have to connect every single switch to transit control like with the subway if they were to do what you think they should. A project like that would take years to do and would require a lot of work with the city to put that type of infistrutre in place. It's not a question of cheap vs best it's a question of what do they have the funds for and is it worth doing in the long run.

It's not as simple as you make it sound they would have to connect every single switch to transit control like with the subway if they were to do what you think they should. A project like that would take years to do and would require a lot of work with the city to put that type of infistrutre in place. It's not a question of cheap vs best it's a question of what do they have the funds for and is it worth doing in the long run.
Not just "years", but "decades". There has been a "go slow" order for streetcars for "decades" now. Toronto is way behind improvements when compared with the European tram networks.

Not just "years", but "decades". There has been a "go slow" order for streetcars for "decades" now. Toronto is way behind improvements when compared with the European tram networks.
No i mean that it would take years to build the type of system for the switches you seem to think that they need to fix a problem that only exists for a few people who want it to be a problem.

Why does the switch have to be connected to transit control? I don't know of any tram system with signal lights for their switches that has them linked to a central control module, every single one I know of has driver (or vehicle radio) operated switches and the displays are locally shown.

Also, I think it is unfair to suggest it's only a select few people who want it to be a problem. It IS a problem. Stop, check, and go makes for a miserably jerky, and slower, ride. I think everyone who is passionate about our tram system not being a complete joke should be recognizing that this is a problem.

Why does the switch have to be connected to transit control? I don't know of any tram system with signal lights for their switches that has them linked to a central control module, every single one I know of has driver (or vehicle radio) operated switches and the displays are locally shown.

Also, I think it is unfair to suggest it's only a select few people who want it to be a problem. It IS a problem. Stop, check, and go makes for a miserably jerky, and slower, ride. I think everyone who is passionate about our tram system not being a complete joke should be recognizing that this is a problem.
Why wouldn't it be connected to transit control?

I think it's a problem that people make too much of a big deal on here. I just don't really see how or why you think we need to spend millions of dollars rebuilding every switch on the system just for "people's comfort" which is what you are suggesting. If this is something important to you then either run for city council and hope to be put on the TTC board or try to get on it as citizen member, that's the only way that someone will listen to you at the TTC.

Of course the poor state of the streetcar switches is a problem and as Walter says, has resulted in 'slow orders' in many places for many years. I agree that having each switch linked to Transit Control seems pointless (they seem unable to control anything, even when vehicles depart from termini) but having switches that worked (and were controlled by the operators) would certainly benefit 'customers'.

For the reason I already stated, I don't know of any transit system that has switches connected to transit control, why would we? It is sufficient that the driver can see the switch and has a means of controlling it.
Becuse it makes mor sense for tranist control to be in control of the switches . That's the way eglington and finch are set up. Lessie barns i set up so that all of the switches in it are controled by a central locat rather then by the operator. Doouble bladed switches are more complex then the current single baded ones that the TTC has.

Becuse it makes mor sense for tranist control to be in control of the switches . That's the way eglington and finch are set up. Lessie barns i set up so that all of the switches in it are controled by a central locat rather then by the operator. Doouble bladed switches are more complex then the current single baded ones that the TTC has.
Eglinton and Finch will have far fewer switches than the streetcar lines, and a more complex signaling system to manage everything, It can't be worse to have streetcar switch be controlled by an approaching streetcar, with a display or signal sent back to the streetcar to confirm how it is set.

Eglinton and Finch will have far fewer switches than the streetcar lines, and a more complex signaling system to manage everything, It can't be worse to have streetcar switch be controlled by an approaching streetcar, with a display or signal sent back to the streetcar to confirm how it is set.
People are talking about how they want the best for the TTC and streetcars I'm making a suggestion that is that and all people seem to want is a step above what we have now but have no clue on how it would be implemented. Any significant changes to the switches is going to take years and more money than the TTC currently has.

For the reason I already stated, I don't know of any transit system that has switches connected to transit control, why would we? It is sufficient that the driver can see the switch and has a means of controlling it.
Maybe during snow falls in winter, or during a night-time rainfall there should be an indicator lights showing which direction it is set for.

Back