The Star

Link to article

No free TTC rides on sizzling days
Transit boss cool to fare-break idea on sizzling days
`Nice gesture but we don't have the money to do it'
Jul. 18, 2006. 08:36 AM
KEVIN MCGRAN
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

It'll be a cold day in hell before the TTC offers any free rides to Torontonians suffering through a heat wave and the province's 20th smog day of the summer even as American cities embrace the idea.

"We're waiting for ... when hell freezes over," TTC chairman Howard Moscoe said. "The TTC is not in a position to offer anyone free rides. It would be a nice gesture, but we don't have the money to do it."

Commuters in the San Francisco area were not charged fares to ride trains or buses yesterday — for the fourth time this summer — because hot, smoggy weather there prompted air quality officials to declare a "Spare the Air Day."

"I think it's fantastic, it's a great idea," said TTC vice-chairman Adam Giambrone. "The trick here is to make sure we get the government support to allow this to happen."

Public transit in most American cities, including San Francisco, receive much more state and federal funding than the TTC on a per-rider basis. State and federal funds typically cover half the costs related to operating buses, streetcars and subways. In Toronto, provincial funds cover about 20 per cent of the TTC's operating costs, the rest coming from the fare box.

The San Francisco area's Metropolitan Transportation Commission — which oversees 25 public transit systems — has about $12 million (U.S.) in its coffers to cover expenses related to offering free rides during smog days in sweltering heat. The money comes from federal, state and regional sources.

"It's part of a co-ordinated effort from state and regional governments, with some federal financing," said Giambrone. "It's not just free transit, it's a whole package of things. We need to have a similar approach in Canada. When the provincial and federal government step up to the plate, we'll be happy to participate with them and provide free transit. Without their help, it's really not in the game plan."

Ridership goes up by 10 per cent, or about 155,000 riders, during Spare the Air Days in San Francisco. In Toronto, a 10 per cent rise in one-day ridership would add 70,000 rides to the bus, streetcar and subway system.

The TTC estimates it would cost about $1.5 million to offer a summer workday of free rides, more if the TTC felt compelled to refund those who prepaid by buying weekly or monthly Metropasses, said spokesman Danny Nicholson.

Transport Canada spokesman Robin Browne said there are no programs in place to help cities fund free transit rides on smog days. A $60,000 pilot project in 2003, co-funded by Environment Canada and the City of Windsor, allowed free transit rides on four smog days in that southwestern Ontario city. Despite the enthusiastic response — ridership increased 36 per cent on those days — funding for the program dried up.

Pollution Probe doesn't have an official position but chief scientist Quentin Chiotti said a free ride is worth considering.

"On a day like today, we should be doing everything we can to encourage people to leave their car at home," said Chiotti. "...It comes down to how many people will make that shift, and how will the TTC be able to accommodate them, and what will the impact be on local air quality."

I'd be a little pissed to pay $100/month for a Metropass when others can ride for free.

A $60,000 pilot project in 2003, co-funded by Environment Canada and the City of Windsor, allowed free transit rides on four smog days in that southwestern Ontario city.

The first time I took Transit Windsor was in July 2003, from the VIA station to downtown. It was a very pleasant surprise to see the farebox covered up. Unfortunately for me, the free fare did not extend to the Tunnel Bus to Detroit (which operates on its own fare plan), where I was eventually headed.

I can't see how it would work for the TTC, with a 82% fare recovery and where the Metropass is expensive as it is (unless they had a refund, like after the illegal walkout earlier this year).

What would the policy have been back then if there was a blackout on New Years Eve?

What if there's a blackout on a smoggy New Year's Eve?
dunno.gif

Back