News   May 27, 2024
 581     0 
News   May 27, 2024
 619     1 
News   May 27, 2024
 4K     3 

TTC: Next Bus/Streetcar Arrival System

And just as I post that, NextBus seems to have removed the maps/links for the non-streetcar routes ... but all the buses are still visible at http://borkbork.com/ttc/ so presumably they are still in the data feed - for a little longer at least.

A wild guess: Bus routes will go live the day the new subways go in service, for maximum PR points.

I'm coming from the angle that both of these events have already had multiple announcements and their impact on the media is pretty low now. You're not going to crack the front page of the paper or get in before the first commercial break on the news with one event at this point.

I think that it's too bad that they're thinking of charging for text messages in excess of two.... I use more than that even with streetcar only access.

Should they have chosen not to do that I think that it could've made regular usage of buses with an infrequent headway (20-30 mins) much more plausible.

Even in general, I think it could have made the system much more attractive to any users of the NVAS system. You'd no longer need to guess which vehicle would come first when there were two possible routes that'd take you where you were going, each with their own separate stops...

Obviously paying the 15 cent fee is an option, but assuming you're taking a few vehicles bi-directionally or you'd like to compare arrival times of a few different routes, the fees would quickly rack up.

I think that it's too bad that they're thinking of charging for text messages in excess of two.... I use more than that even with streetcar only access.

Should they have chosen not to do that I think that it could've made regular usage of buses with an infrequent headway (20-30 mins) much more plausible.

Even in general, I think it could have made the system much more attractive to any users of the NVAS system. You'd no longer need to guess which vehicle would come first when there were two possible routes that'd take you where you were going, each with their own separate stops...

Obviously paying the 15 cent fee is an option, but assuming you're taking a few vehicles bi-directionally or you'd like to compare arrival times of a few different routes, the fees would quickly rack up.

The sooner we get next vehicle displays at the bus/streetcar stops the better as an alternative. The text message should only be for stops without the display, and then only if there is a malfunction with the display.

The sooner we get next vehicle displays at the bus/streetcar stops the better as an alternative. The text message should only be for stops without the display, and then only if there is a malfunction with the display.

Agreed, but not every stop will get one... most notably, routes that have 20-30 minute frequencies probably won't get them despite being quite useful for those that rely or want to be able to rely on those routes.

Let's be honest here. This is no money grab by the TTC. Canada's wireless industry is not cheap for any participant. This is Robelus' doing.

As more and more people switch to smart phones, these texts will be a thing of the past. I'm surprised they even bothered with the texts at this point. The data is much better by using your phone and looking at the various sites such as NextBus and WhereIsMyStreetcar - for free.

Let's be honest here. This is no money grab by the TTC. Canada's wireless industry is not cheap for any participant. This is Robelus' doing.

4274.fc56084_5F00_Let-Me-Laugh-Even-Harder.jpg

EDIT: If they want to charge because the texts cost them too much money (unlikely), fine. But they should also implement links to the NextBus on their website and mobile site so that we can see when the next vehicle without using their data.

In fact, if they charge due to the "costs" and then don't do this, I am going to file a complaint with the province. While we urban and transit nerds know about the NextBus website, I'm willing to bet that 90%+ of people don't.

Last edited:
As more and more people switch to smart phones, these texts will be a thing of the past. I'm surprised they even bothered with the texts at this point. The data is much better by using your phone and looking at the various sites such as NextBus and WhereIsMyStreetcar - for free.

I'm not sure the TTC is closely watching the stats on how people are using their mobile devices, but how many people currently have easy web access on their phones? 50% 25% 75%? What is the rate of increase? My phone of just two months ago had no web access.

I just went to nextbus.com with my new-but-not-so-smart phone. Six pages later, I still had not found the stop I wanted.

If I am already at the stop, it's a lot faster to send a text, but I only have a few stops recorded. If I have not at the stop yet, then the free web sites are better.

-Ed

I'm not sure the TTC is closely watching the stats on how people are using their mobile devices, but how many people currently have easy web access on their phones? 50% 25% 75%? What is the rate of increase? My phone of just two months ago had no web access.

I just went to nextbus.com with my new-but-not-so-smart phone. Six pages later, I still had not found the stop I wanted.

If I am already at the stop, it's a lot faster to send a text, but I only have a few stops recorded. If I have not at the stop yet, then the free web sites are better.

-Ed

Agreed. I have the TTC text number in my phone book, and I know my streetcar stop, I can receive arrival times in 10 secs.

Back