News   Jul 17, 2024
 279     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 479     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1K     0 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

I just meant I wondered if there was a connection point on the gate that would allow a second reader to be installed or if it would require something more elaborate to convert
They are equipped with everything except for the reader on the exit side. Apparently all they have to do is remove the cover and put in a new reader similar to what they will do when they remove the metropas ones.

They are equipped with everything except for the reader on the exit side. Apparently all they have to do is remove the cover and put in a new reader similar to what they will do when they remove the metropas ones.
A modular system? It can't be. The TTC would have to replace the whole gate to add a reader. /s

A modular system? It can't be. The TTC would have to replace the whole gate to add a reader. /s
That a why they bought the new ones because they are modular. Belie it or not they are becoming more and more modern. There are many cities that still use old turnstiles and also don't have elevators so everyone can access the stations.

Yup! When the station was rebuilt, the presto switch was in the works already. I think even a few stations had some presto readers. They could have expedited their selection process for the new fare gates. Or heck, re-used the old ones temporarily. But instead they bought shiny new old-style gates only to rip 'em out a short time later? Hope they got some scrap metal value out of them.

The Presto installations were made at Union before the construction for the second platform started.

I can't speak to the actual gates themselves, but considering that they have a lot more gates in the station once the work was completed than they did when they started the work, they would have needed to buy some new gates, wouldn't they? Or would you rather that they had just blocked off those openings until they could install the new gates - which let me remind you, they didn't know they were going to purchase yet.

There's no doubt that the TTC does some dumb things. But I think that it's a bit silly to suggest that they start relying on a ouija board to see what things they will need before they need them.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Went through Bloor yesterday evening and noticed that the new fare gates are up and running. It's been a long time since I last used this station and that was when they still had the old turnstiles. So my question is, how do these fare gates at Bloor hold up during rush hour? Specifically how chaotic is it?

Something that was never really brought up detail in this thread pertaining to the fare gate design was whether we should of went with the classic rotating turnstile combined with the Presto reader? Instead of paddle gates. Putting aside accessibility issues which could be addressed with say a paddle gate.

I know that there are places in the world that have stuck with turnstiles combined with an electronic reader due to them being more robust but the need to avoid failure while circulating a lot of passenger volume. Seoul I believe has stayed with the classic turnstile but uses RFID cards and readers.

Went through Bloor yesterday evening and noticed that the new fare gates are up and running. It's been a long time since I last used this station and that was when they still had the old turnstiles. So my question is, how do these fare gates at Bloor hold up during rush hour? Specifically how chaotic is it?

Something that was never really brought up detail in this thread pertaining to the fare gate design was whether we should of went with the classic rotating turnstile combined with the Presto reader? Instead of paddle gates. Putting aside accessibility issues which could be addressed with say a paddle gate.

I know that there are places in the world that have stuck with turnstiles combined with an electronic reader due to them being more robust but the need to avoid failure while circulating a lot of passenger volume. Seoul I believe has stayed with the classic turnstile but uses RFID cards and readers.
Read back in thread, not sure if there are specific Bloor comments but there ARE problems with gate speeds - esp. when there is lots of traffic in both directions.

It won't be a big deal at Bloor station because the majority of the people using the station aren't leaving the system. It would be like most other downtown stations like Queens Park and such. Dundas and King stations on the other hand...

It won't be a big deal at Bloor station because the majority of the people using the station aren't leaving the system.

There is a HUGE amount of entry/exit demand at Bloor during peak hours due to the office, shopping, and residential buildings surrounding the station. Yes, many people are transferring between lines 1 and 2, but TONS of people are entering/exiting line 1/2 as well. I think its main entrance is probably busier than Queen's Park or either of the individual entrances at King, maybe a bit shy of Dundas but not by much.

There is a HUGE amount of entry/exit demand at Bloor during peak hours due to the office, shopping, and residential buildings surrounding the station. Yes, many people are transferring between lines 1 and 2, but TONS of people are entering/exiting line 1/2 as well. I think its main entrance is probably busier than Queen's Park or either of the individual entrances at King, maybe a bit shy of Dundas but not by much.

There is a North Collector entrance, a South Collector entrance, and an automatic entrance on the east side of Yonge Street, 36 metres north of Bloor Street East with stair access directly to Line 2 Bloor-Danforth Subway Platform Level. See link.

Although there is a lot of demand there, I don't think it's any more than 40K people per day over the entire station. 185K BD platform ridership and 215K Yonge platform ridership. The difference is about 30K people either leaving the system or entering but not transferring. Add another 10K as a buffer and you get 40K people a day. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot, but there's also a lot to consider.
  1. King station serves 55K people per day, and all over 2 platform entrances.
  2. Queens Park serves 48K people per day, and there's only one ticket barrier entrance.
  3. Dundas Station serves about 80K people per day over one entrance on each platform (therefore the entrances are smaller).
  4. Union Station serves over 100K people per day over it's one weird box entrance thing.
  5. Bloor Yonge has 3+ entrances. These stations either have 1 or 2.
There's no doubt that there will be crowding at Bloor Yonge, but comparatively, the issues will be significantly worse at other stations, especially those on the University line, that have no to second turnstile entrances.

Although there is a lot of demand there, I don't think it's any more than 40K people per day over the entire station. 185K BD platform ridership and 215K Yonge platform ridership. The difference is about 30K people either leaving the system or entering but not transferring. Add another 10K as a buffer and you get 40K people a day. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot, but there's also a lot to consider.
  1. King station serves 55K people per day, and all over 2 platform entrances.
  2. Queens Park serves 48K people per day, and there's only one ticket barrier entrance.
  3. Dundas Station serves about 80K people per day over one entrance on each platform (therefore the entrances are smaller).
  4. Union Station serves over 100K people per day over it's one weird box entrance thing.
  5. Bloor Yonge has 3+ entrances. These stations either have 1 or 2.
There's no doubt that there will be crowding at Bloor Yonge, but comparatively, the issues will be significantly worse at other stations, especially those on the University line, that have no to second turnstile entrances.

It's not like there is 100k using it daily, but it is busier than 40k. You can compare it to Bathurst station, which has a little under 40k, and it is night and day. It's closer to King or Dundas, probably in the 60-70k range.

Though yes, the majority aren't leaving the station.

This in TTC CEO Report for Board next week...

Over the last several months, significant reliability issues have occurred with the new fare gates. The TTC has recently completed the installation and commissioning of new gates at Union Station and will complete that project. However, in consultation with Chair Colle, installation at the remaining 10 stations has been paused until the TTC is satisfied that the contractor, Scheidt and Bachmann, has addressed the reliability issues.
Earlier this month, TTC staff met with our contractors and agreed to implement remedial measures. We know this will push our timelines for completion of the project out, but is more important to me that we fix what we know is broken and improve the performance of the existing gates before we proceed with final installation at very busy stations such as Finch and Sheppard-Yonge.

Also, on p 16. " Scheidt & Bachmann have a technician at Union Station for all service hours until we are assured the operation is stable and reliability is at a high level. A plan to correct the issues we are experiencing with the operation of the faregates is in development. "

Back