News   Apr 19, 2024
 262     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 533     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 895     3 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

I got some pictures the other day of the work at Dundas on the southbound platform from what I could see the Northbound Platform entrance was just the same.

37348665062_4d90653676_z_d.jpg

36670022024_8e0f785184_z_d.jpg

37331307616_b75fae9e23_z_d.jpg

It would have been nice if they had done King Commerce Court before starting on Scotia Plaza so that Presto users could use CC during SP works. SP is a damn mess right now and it wasn't great to begin with.

It would have been nice if they had done King Commerce Court before starting on Scotia Plaza so that Presto users could use CC during SP works. SP is a damn mess right now and it wasn't great to begin with.
I think they want to do all of the ent4nces for King Queen, and Dudas all at once because of the size of them and a number of people that use them on a daily basis, aside from Union they are pretty busy.

I think they want to do all of the ent4nces for King Queen, and Dudas all at once because of the size of them and a number of people that use them on a daily basis, aside from Union they are pretty busy.
That was not the point being made by @dowlingm (and earlier by me). We questioned why the TTC did not keep King Station open by using the Commerce Court entrance while they worked on the main one. (Despite what you say they are NOT doing all the entrances at once.) As the TTC notice says: "TTC will also be replacing the turnstiles at the Commerce Court entrance at a later date."

That was not the point being made by @dowlingm (and earlier by me). We questioned why the TTC did not keep King Station open by using the Commerce Court entrance while they worked on the main one. (Despite what you say they are NOT doing all the entrances at once.) As the TTC notice says: "TTC will also be replacing the turnstiles at the Commerce Court entrance at a later date."
It's probably too small of an entrance for the use that King station sees to have it open and it may not be safe to do it with other parts of the station under construction. Don't forget with King, Queen and Dundas you can't change platforms without going to where the main entrance is to the station.

It's probably too small of an entrance for the use that King station sees to have it open and it may not be safe to do it with other parts of the station under construction. Don't forget with King, Queen and Dundas you can't change platforms without going to where the main entrance is to the station.
That is not correct at King - you can change platforms at Commerce Court. As for ridership, come down and see any weekday at 5pm. Look, I'm not saying the fare gates needed to be switched out but they could have put a Presto tap beside the King CC collector booth gate similar to the makeshift one at King beside the escalator.

That is not correct at King - you can change platforms at Commerce Court. As for ridership, come down and see any weekday at 5pm. Look, I'm not saying the fare gates needed to be switched out but they could have put a Presto tap beside the King CC collector booth gate similar to the makeshift one at King beside the escalator.
They probably don't want to add new presto devices on a tempory basis. They probably just feel that the work can be done faster with all of the entrances closed well they do it. If you have a problem with it try writing to the TTC rather than complaining about it on a from,

They probably don't want to add new presto devices on a tempory basis.
They did at King Station after they ripped out the existing gates. There is now one Presto device where there were four before.
They probably just feel that the work can be done faster with all of the entrances closed well they do it.
This sentence makes no sense. The entrances aren't both closed at present, but if you use Presto you are obliged to use King SP which has 50% of its entrance way blocked.
If you have a problem with it try writing to the TTC rather than complaining about it on a from,
Before policing my posts, perhaps you could not post inaccurate information about whether you can cross platforms at King. As the folks behind the TTCHelps account can attest, I flag up plenty of things to TTC - wet floors in stations, hot cars, but also good service - and if we can't discuss the failings of the Commission except to your liking, it's going to get quiet around here.

Reactions: DSC
They did at King Station after they ripped out the existing gates. There is now one Presto device where there were four before.
Yes but the original entrance already had Preto equipped at it.

This sentence makes no sense. The entrances aren't both closed at present, but if you use Presto you are obliged to use King SP which has 50% of its entrance way blocked.

Yes, it does they don't want people stumbling into work areas in the station well they are working on it. Unlike other sations King, Queen and Dundas ar fairly samll and daren't as easy for poel to get around when one entrnce is oput of service.

Before policing my posts, perhaps you could not post inaccurate information about whether you can cross platforms at King. As the folks behind the TTCHelps account can attest, I flag up plenty of things to TTC - wet floors in stations, hot cars, but also good service - and if we can't discuss the failings of the Commission except to your liking, it's going to get quiet around here.

Sorry I just don't get what your beef about this is. Ther isn't a presto redder at the Commerce Court entrance yet because they don't have the infrastructure in place for it yet. It wasn't wired for Presto completely when they did the initial run of jury-rigging Preto readers to the old fare gates in preparation for the PanAm games and for people who already had Presto cards coming into Toronto On Go trains and other cities transit.

Sorry I just don't get what your beef about this is. Ther isn't a presto redder at the Commerce Court entrance yet because they don't have the infrastructure in place for it yet. It wasn't wired for Presto completely when they did the initial run of jury-rigging Preto readers to the old fare gates in preparation for the PanAm games and for people who already had Presto cards coming into Toronto On Go trains and other cities transit.

The point that @dowlingm, I and several others have made was that it might have been better NOT to close King Station completely (during quiet hours) but to keep the totally separate Commerce Court entrance/exit open. You have made repeated (and, as usual, typo filled and sometimes incomprehensible) assertions that show a complete lack of knowledge about King Station' s geography in particular and the TTC in general. As the TTC did not do this and the work on the main entrance is moving ahead (Commerce Court will be scheduled 'later') the whole argument is moot. Let's all move on!

The point that @dowlingm, I and several others have made was that it might have been better NOT to close King Station completely (during quiet hours) but to keep the totally separate Commerce Court entrance/exit open. You have made repeated (and, as usual, typo filled and sometimes incomprehensible) assertions that show a complete lack of knowledge about King Station' s geography in particular and the TTC in general. As the TTC did not do this and the work on the main entrance is moving ahead (Commerce Court will be scheduled 'later') the whole argument is moot. Let's all move on!

Is Commerce Court the Melinda street exit? I've never had much reason to roam around that bit of the PATH enough to know how it fits into the PATH.

Just now from on high:

New TTC fare gate construction begins at Queen Station

October 16, 2017

The turnstiles at Queen Station will become a thing of the past as the construction begins to install the TTC's new modern fare gates with PRESTO. This work will result in early station closures nightly starting Oct. 17 and a full weekend closure the weekend of Oct. 20-22.

The new gates, which improve customer flow and provide an unobstructed path into and out of stations, are a key piece of the TTC's overall modernization plan. The new gates are in place today at 45 stations and 77 entrances.

Because Queen Station is one of the TTC's busiest, with tighter fare lines, closing early and for the weekend is necessary to complete the necessary floor work that cannot be done when the station is open. During these times, subway trains will pass through the station without stopping.

Queen Station will close as follows:
- 11 p.m. nightly: Oct. 17-19 AND Oct. 23 to the end of November
- Weekend closure: Fri., Oct 20 at 11 p.m. until 6 a.m. Mon., Oct. 23.

The full fare gate construction schedule is available at ttc.ca and a video (
) explaining the next wave of fare gate construction is posted on the TTC's YouTube channel. Station specific fact sheets are also posted at ttc.ca. During closures, customer service ambassadors will be in place to assist customers with directions and information.

When the fare gate installation is complete next spring, every subway station and every entrance will have new gates and accept PRESTO. All TTC buses and streetcars accept PRESTO today.​

And one day later...

9E8CAE0D-B1EE-4E20-9B98-092C3E9556CC.jpeg

It is a shame that they didn't get rid of that unused ticket booth and widen the gate area even more. It's sitting there doing nothing when we are dealing with a station with congestion issue already.

AoD

Attachments

• 9E8CAE0D-B1EE-4E20-9B98-092C3E9556CC.jpeg
    9E8CAE0D-B1EE-4E20-9B98-092C3E9556CC.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 340
It is a shame that they didn't get rid of that unused ticket booth and widen the gate area even more. It's sitting there doing nothing when we are dealing with a station with congestion issue already.

Yeah, Bay as well. That unused booth, just taking up space in the middle of the way. Plus, with the angle of the gates there, I don't see how they could remove it and add more gates cleanly.

Back