News   Apr 24, 2024
 271     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 493     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 481     0 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

What a nightmare this retro-fitting elevators into 50 and 60 year old stations is.
We still got it easier than places like London and Paris.

Londonist recently did a YouTube video about a Paralympian that lives close to a tube station, but can't access it. Has to take bus to the tube, then transfer lines.

We still got it easier than places like London and Paris.

Londonist recently did a YouTube video about a Paralympian that lives close to a tube station, but can't access it. Has to take bus to the tube, then transfer lines.

Only 14 out of Montreal Metro's 73 stations have elevators.

planmetro_web2018dec-640x761.png

From link. They plan to be "fully accessible" by 2038. Toronto has a 2025 target year for its stations.

Only 14 out of Montreal Metro's 73 stations have elevators.
They only have 68 stations though. The map shows 11 have elevators, while 3 interchange stations (Snowdon, Jean-Talon twice, and Berri) only have an elevator to the Orange Line. 73 seems to be obtained by counting Snowdon, Lionel-Groulx, and Jean-Talon twice, and Berri three times! So 11 out of 68 stations and 14 out of 73 stations counting each line at each station separately. I'd assume Snowdon actually is accessible for Line 4, given the platforms are right across the Orange line platforms ... but with no other stations on that line accessible, there's nowhere to go!

And then there's Bonaventure - which has had an elevator for a few years now from the mezzanine to the platforms - but you can only get to the mezzanine by stairs or escalator (though I think one convoluted pathway through an office building might only have 2-3 steps).

Toronto is at (hard to keep track) 45 out of 75 stations and 49 out of 80 counting each line at each station separately. Current schedule should have 46 on TTC by end of 2019, 53 by end of 2020 (assuming that Dupont get's finished, 78 by end of 2021 (when Line 5 should be open), 82 by the end of 2022, and 105 by end of 2023 (when Line 6 should be open).

Montreal is only planning to make 8 more stations fully accessible by 2021. I guess that's what happens when there's no provincial laws requiring accessibility to older stations.

Last edited:
They plan to be "fully accessible" by 2038. Toronto has a 2025 target year for its stations.

I guess that's what happens when there's no provincial laws requiring accessibility to older stations.

For the TTC its the provinces deadline that's driving it. Toronto/TTC doesn't care about the disabled or mobility challenged. They have dragged their feet and put the accessibility plan on the back-burner as much as possible.

Thank goodness the AODA has penalties on Directors and officers who do not meet the deadlines. If not I'm sure they would keep on dragging their feet and miss the deadline. Can't wait for a city counselor to be personally charged $50,000 a day until the elevator is installed. And if they think its harsh they have to remember how harsh it is for those with a disability not being able to access public transit.

For the TTC its the provinces deadline that's driving it. Toronto/TTC doesn't care about the disabled or mobility challenged. They have dragged their feet and put the accessibility plan on the back-burner as much as possible.

Thank goodness the AODA has penalties on Directors and officers who do not meet the deadlines. If not I'm sure they would keep on dragging their feet and miss the deadline. Can't wait for a city counselor to be personally charged $50,000 a day until the elevator is installed. And if they think its harsh they have to remember how harsh it is for those with a disability not being able to access public transit.
But to be fair to the TTC, they don’t care about any passengers.

Can't wait for a city counselor to be personally charged $50,000 a day until the elevator is installed. And if they think its harsh they have to remember how harsh it is for those with a disability not being able to access public transit.
Now there's an incentive to upload the existing TTC subway to the province!

Montreal is only planning to make 8 more stations fully accessible by 2021. I guess that's what happens when there's no provincial laws requiring accessibility to older stations.

Montreal is actually planning to make 15 more stations "fully accessible" by the end of 2021, for a total of 28/68 (or 32/73 if you count each line at each station separately):

2019: Bonaventure, Jean-Drapeau + Jean-Talon (Blue line platforms)
2020: Vendôme, Jolicœur, Angrignon, McGill + Berri UQAM's (Green line platforms)
2021: Mont-Royal, Viau, Place-des-Arts, Namur, Radisson, Préfontaine, Villa-Maria, D'Iberville

Montreal is actually planning to make 15 more stations "fully accessible" by the end of 2021, for a total of 28/68 (or 32/73 if you count each line at each station separately):

2019: Bonaventure, Jean-Drapeau + Jean-Talon (Blue line platforms)
2020: Vendôme, Jolicœur, Angrignon, McGill + Berri UQAM's (Green line platforms)
2021: Mont-Royal, Viau, Place-des-Arts, Namur, Radisson, Préfontaine, Villa-Maria, D'Iberville
What's your source for that. We were discussing the information on STM's web page that was linked in the comment I replied to. At http://www.stm.info/en/info/service-updates/stm-works/next-elevators-expected-metro-system.

It says that Jolicoeur, McGill and Angrinon are in 2022 not 2020. It also says that Mont-Royal, Radisson, Préfontaine, Villa Maria, and D'Iberville are in 2022 not 2021. And it doesn't mention Namur at all!

Last edited:
Which says 2016 on it ... the internal date is October 2016. Also it doesn't show a few stations that are already accessible - so it's not up to date ... some say "Under Construction' ... isn't Metro du College already accessible ... it doesn't even show as started construction.

As their website only mentions 2019 and after openings, presumably it's more up to date than this PDF - and they aren't meeting their earlier commitments.

Back