News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 773     0 

TTC: Lower Bay Station (closed to public)

The people who bought one of these townhouses next to Ellesmere station are probably not very happy about the subway plan.

Screen shot 2014-09-26 at 11.41.26 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-09-26 at 11.41.26 AM.png
    Screen shot 2014-09-26 at 11.41.26 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,029
Ellesmere is a little different than Lower Bay. What would you do with Ellesmere?
Probably the same thing they did with the old Dufferin (Exhibition) GO station.

Nothing for years. Slowly remove elements as time goes on when they are in the way.

In the medium term, no SRT is bad for Ellesmere, but there was to be lot of bustitution in the short term.

This is quite an interesting article on disused subway stations (or whole systems) http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ean-ghost-stations-tube-abandoned-underground and, yes, it mentions our own Lower Bay.

Interesting read...I had no idea about the abandoned Cincinnati subway. (Also laughed out loud at the guy who claims the High Line was "ruined"). Incidentally I've long had this crazy idea of a Bay St. shuttle running from Lower Bay to Union with a stop at Lower Queen as an alternative to the DRL.

(Also laughed out loud at the guy who claims the High Line was "ruined").
Yeah, it's a fairly laughable claim, though I see where he's coming from.
It was a hidden gem for urban spelunkers. Something you had to know about, and try to see.
Now, as is the case for a lot of things in New York, it's a tourist attraction, having had all of its *realness* smoothed over for consumption by the masses.

Yeah, it's a fairly laughable claim, though I see where he's coming from.
It was a hidden gem for urban spelunkers. Something you had to know about, and try to see.
Now, as is the case for a lot of things in New York, it's a tourist attraction, having had all of its *realness* smoothed over for consumption by the masses.

The highline was going to be demolished, instead it was saved by the sponsors who converted it to a park

Or from another perspective: a space that could only be accessed through illegal and unsafe means is now open to a much wider audience (tourists AND residents).

Or from another perspective: a space that could only be accessed through illegal and unsafe means is now open to a much wider audience (tourists AND residents).

Exactly. It's been ruined for people who want to feel special.

Exactly. Thus was it "ruined". It had been a playground for the few, and now it is enjoyed by the masses. A very worthy trade.

Last edited:

Back