News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.8K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 642     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

They really need to implement a no left turn policy on streets where the streetcar runs. I would say the main reasons for King and Queen streetcars not being a good transportation option are:
1. left turning vehicles (the streetcar doesn't move to the curb lane at intersections)
2. stoplights with no priority to transit
3. stop spacing.

Really there is no point even looking at stop spacing until the other two are dealt with for King and Queen.

They really need to implement a no left turn policy on streets where the streetcar runs. I would say the main reasons for King and Queen streetcars not being a good transportation option are:
1. left turning vehicles (the streetcar doesn't move to the curb lane at intersections)
3. stop spacing.

Really there is no point even looking at stop spacing until the other two are dealt with for King and Queen.

Take inexpensive action to greatly improve the reliability and quality of service by surface transit vehicles? Not if it inconveniences motorists! #TorontoLogic

3. stop spacing.

If there is room, or the city is able to expropriate the real estate needed, put in left turn lanes to the left of the streetcar tracks. With or without safety islands.

Benning-Road-Streetcar.jpg
D.C.-turn-lane.jpg

Maybe even reserve the right for future redevelopment to create a greater setback to allow for intersection widening.

What a massive change seeing those in daylight and on our roads it makes. Takes us to the next level for transportation and is a nice bandaid on the otherwise crippling infrastructure we already have in place! Can't wait to ride them!

If there is room, or the city is able to expropriate the real estate needed, put in left turn lanes to the left of the streetcar tracks. With or without safety islands.

Maybe even reserve the right for future redevelopment to create a greater setback to allow for intersection widening.

This isn't so much a concern with the Transit City LRT routes where the left turning cars will be kept out of the way. This is a concern on King and Queen where the number of left turning vehicles coupled with the lack of openings in oncoming traffic means slow transit. Both King and Queen would not really lend themselves to widening.

As a rider on the king street car I think some small things could speed things up. First changing riders bad habits standing on the steps while the doors are open, trying to jump on a street car that is to capacity already when another street car is in sight. Another would be to remove some stops along the way. There are too many stops. Enforcing the streetcar/taxi lanes would help as well

I read somewhere that these LRV's are modular in design. I wonder how easy it would be for Bombardier to deliver units with three segments instead of five, yielding something that's a bit closer in size to an ALRV, and might be more suitable to non-calamitous operation on King and Queen?

I read somewhere that these LRV's are modular in design. I wonder how easy it would be for Bombardier to deliver units with three segments instead of five, yielding something that's a bit closer in size to an ALRV, and might be more suitable to non-calamitous operation on King and Queen?
They aren't that much bigger than an ALRV. The 5-module (3 wheels sets) vehicles are 30 metres long, compared the 23-metre long 2-module (2 wheel sets) ALRV. And not surprisingly, with more flexibility, and more wheel sets, they don't swing out as much into traffic as the existing ALRV.

How is that extra 7 metres calamitous, when the won't cause as much problem turning as the current ALRVs?

Previously, when TTC used to run 30-metre PCC trains, how was that calamitous? That's the same length as these new streetcars.

They aren't that much bigger than an ALRV. The 5-module (3 wheels sets) vehicles are 30 metres long, compared the 23-metre long 2-module (2 wheel sets) ALRV. And not surprisingly, with more flexibility, and more wheel sets, they don't swing out as much into traffic as the existing ALRV.

How is that extra 7 metres calamitous, when the won't cause as much problem turning as the current ALRVs?

Previously, when TTC used to run 30-metre PCC trains, how was that calamitous? That's the same length as these new streetcars.

And the older Peter Witt streetcar and trailer trains were also around 30 m long.

That must be why the TTC settled on that length.

Where can I buy a scale model of one of these beauties? The streetcar looks darn stylish, and I would love one of these to act as a paperweight/ornament at work.

Where can I buy a scale model of one of these beauties? The streetcar looks darn stylish, and I would love one of these to act as a paperweight/ornament at work.

I hear you can get a full sized and operational model from Hillcrest Yard. Not for sale, but I'm sure they won't notice if it goes missing :eek:

But seriously, it would be nice if the TTC made some models of it. I know they made some TR models, however they were constructed out of cheap cardboard.

From Monday:

Church & Carleton:
LOOU1gY.jpg

Reddit

Lansdowne and College, looking South (streetcar heading West) [thanks Wrenkin]:
[video=youtube;99Gj6LaWuy8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Gj6LaWuy8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

YouTube

Last edited:
Good note to make; this coming spring the Russell Carhouse will be open for Doors Open Toronto and apparently you'll be able to tour one of the new beauties there.

Back