News   Jul 15, 2024
 82     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 312     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.8K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Good to see that it can handle the loop at Bathurst station with apparent ease.

It's bendier than we're used to, but that makes it more manoeuvrable than the ALRV, even if it's longer.

It is a milestone and a different look, but we should not be surprised that a custom designed vehicle for the grades and curves in Toronto can actually handle the grades and curves.

Interesting to see a response on the Star from a drivers perspective on our streetcar system:

"Seems to me like the streetcars should have been replaced 15 or 20 years ago. I used to take the streetcar along College St. to work coming from the High Park area. It was an absolute nightmare. 40 minutes to an hour commute for 6 kms, streetcars breaking down all the time. I remember sitting there one day inching along 30 minutes late for work and thinking fudge this I'm buying a car. That was 6 years ago. I paid about $10 000 for my car or about the cost of 7 years of Metropasses. It cut my commute time in half. A small price to pay for an hour extra of free time everyday. Plus I could take trips out of town etc. I'm still thankful for public transit though. With all those saps that take the TTC it leaves more space on the roads for my car. "

Public Transit is good as long as it is reliable and fast. Sometimes we can't blame the drivers for not liking to drive. Out streetcars do have their deep flaws (speed in particular).

I'm sorry, I know it's OT, but I just have to throw my 2 cents. This moron thinks his car costs $10,000? I guess he forgot he must pay for his driver's license renewal + annual license plate renewals + GAS + INSURANCE + Maintenance. Without doing the detailed math, I'm sure it works out to much more than 7 years worth of metropasses.
Again, sorry for going OT.

And what does that has to do with the new streetcars in particular? Nothing.

AoD

that's because you don't see it.
If the new streetcars can overcome many of the issues of the older fleet, fewer people will find it attractive to own cars.

And that hasn't been repeated in the 152 pages of postings prior? Besides, from a driver's perspective the improvements are non-consequential - it isn't like a) their drive will all of a sudden improve dramatically or b) that it will be enticing enough for them not to drive.

AoD

Last edited:
Public Transit is good as long as it is reliable and fast. Sometimes we can't blame the drivers for not liking to drive. Out streetcars do have their deep flaws (speed in particular).

Buses running downtown would share this deep flaw, so I'm not sure what the alternative is. We're never going to see a College St subway!

that's because you don't see it.
If the new streetcars can overcome many of the issues of the older fleet, fewer people will find it attractive to own cars.

You don't see it. The TTC, for all it's problem's is a cakewalk compared to owning a car in this city. It's why the ridership is steadily rising. Like AoD said, that comment brings nothing to the discussion, especially considering it's well known many "416" commentors on the Star are from the 905, and are just trolling.

Their total ignorance, and outright errors when claiming to be from a neighbourhood. I live in the St. Clair/Bathurst area, and I've read comments about the ROW and area that are blatantly wrong.

True, but I've heard radio commentators claiming the new longer streetcars are another front of the war on the downtown driver.
Talk radio's raison d'etre is to get people riled up about something. If all the streetcars were replaced with buses tomorrow, they'd be talking about how the buses get in their way.

This photo of the Bloor streetcar line from overhead shows three streetcar trains. Three new streetcars would take the place of those six streetcars in the photo.

2011527-streetcars-bloor-early60s.jpg

Note that each individual PCC streetcar in the photo has each own trolley. Or two trolleys or power sources per streetcar train. With the new streetcars, only one power source, instead of two, will be used. This is why the thicker gauge wire will be used and why the pantograph would be the preferred power collection.

The Peter Witt trains only had one trolley to power both streetcar and trailer. However, there was no air-conditioning, cameras, or other electrical devices to power (except for traction and lighting). They did have problems with fully loaded vehicles going uphill, slowly going uphill.

ttc2514.jpg

Attachments

• ttc2514.jpg
    ttc2514.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:

Back