News   May 06, 2024
 396     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 983     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 647     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I thought the way the TTC has been wiring the panto compatible system, is that its backwards compatible with trolley poles. So they will never need to convert the heritage fleet to panto. They can still use trolley poles on the panto routes.
The reasoning for making it backwards compatible with trolley poles was for the transition. They already made a section of St. Clair (east of Bathurst) pantograph only because they could do so once the 512 was an all-Flexity service.

As intersections come up for maintenance don't be surprised if other locations become pantograph only because someone realizes it can be done for cheaper once there is no need to support trolley poles in revenue service.

Its a given that all future order will be pans only, now the old fleet is retired. The questions is, will the Heritage Fleet be converted to pans and if so when???

Wasn't 4603 supposed to be release last week and 4604 this week??? Or was 4604 to release last week and 4601 Jan 2/3rd??? https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1211692385329143808

Still got to convert 4401 from prototype to production car yet to complete the order 100% and when will that car be release??? The conversion has been about a year for the other cars and it was sent to Quebec on May 14, 2018 and only arrived in TB from Quebec about 3/4 months ago.

TB still has 4471 & 78 to fix from the flood damage and how long for those cars??

Once these cars are completed along with the 36 GO Coaches, the TB plant has no work on the books for it, unless some Metrolinx cars are to be built there. By doing so, it will allow Kingston to work on the Edmonton cars that are longer than TTC, Metrolinx and Waterloo Region cars.

Expect Kingston will build the Ontario Line equipment since it will be empty when productions starts on the Ontario Line equipment.

4600 testing on 509 at this time and 4406 still in the service bay.

I'm confused... why would there be a 4604 car? 4603 was the final car of the 204 car order, was it not? Can you elaborate on where this 4604 car is coming from?

I'm confused... why would there be a 4604 car? 4603 was the final car of the 204 car order, was it not? Can you elaborate on where this 4604 car is coming from?

The first car was 4400. Making 4603 the 204th car.

Confusion started with the year 2000, which was the last year of the 20th century, not the first year of the 21st century. There was no year 0. The Romans did not have a zero in their number system. See link.

I thought the way the TTC has been wiring the panto compatible system, is that its backwards compatible with trolley poles. So they will never need to convert the heritage fleet to panto. They can still use trolley poles on the panto routes.
Not all of them. We can pretty much say that the tunnels will never see a trolley pole again in a few years.

Not all of them. We can pretty much say that the tunnels will never see a trolley pole again in a few years.
Isn‘t the conversion from pole to panto a simple swap out of the post? That’s probably a hour or so’s work per car.

EDIT: I see it now. It’s not even a swap out, you need only attach the pantograph to the forward fitting. Even easier. Do all the pantograph cars also have the aft pole like below?

800px-TTC_LRV_4401_Roof_Details_closeup.jpg

Any streetcar from the past can use pantographs.

ncs-06-2_0.jpg

From link.

Sure, but if the legacy cars are just going to be paraded around, I dont see the point paying for the conversion when they will work with 99% of the network, and it will be modifying a historical artifact.

Isn‘t the conversion from pole to panto a simple swap out of the post? That’s probably a hour or so’s work per car.

EDIT: I see it now. It’s not even a swap out, you need only attach the pantograph to the forward fitting. Even easier. Do all the pantograph cars also have the aft pole like below?

800px-TTC_LRV_4401_Roof_Details_closeup.jpg
@Admiral Beez , all cars have both and have since the delivery of 4400.

4601 and 4602 passed through Chapleau this morning, will likely arrive Toronto tomorrow morning.
4603 was released from Thunder Bay last night.

Wow. The end is finally here, repairs and refurbs notwithstanding.

- Paul

Could be timed to arrive right alongside the 1000th page of this thread.

Back