News   Mar 28, 2024
 81     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 222     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.2K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Probably not. That's my guess. I can already foresee cars still being delivered in January....
38 should be doable. 41 by my count, perhaps they aren't counting 4401 and 4550 that shipped very early in Q3 2019.

They shipped 41 cars in the first half of the year (42 so far). And 20 in the final quarter of last year. 38 (or even 41) seems quite doable. Though I'm thinking shipped here ... if some are stuck sitting on flatcars on New Years Day ... that's a possibility at this rate.

I suppose the risk comes, as they are starting to ramp down construction, that they lose specialized trades for other employment, and that they might not have enough parts, as they can't simply put a bad widget aside, and use a different widget, if there aren't enough widgets sitting ready to be used.

It's starting to look like it's going to be close enough.

^Back at the Crosstown Open Doors event, they had the door apparatus for one of their Flexities open and on view.

I'm not an engineer, but this just looked.....flimsy.

Of course, the belts in my car motor certainly hold up well, so I suppose these would also.
- Paul

I'm surprised it isn't linear magnetic drive (vs belts). But maybe due to speed (at least my experience with linear magnetic doors has been that they take slightly longer but it may have just been the magnets used)

I'm surprised it isn't linear magnetic drive (vs belts). But maybe due to speed (at least my experience with linear magnetic doors has been that they take slightly longer but it may have just been the magnets used)

LIMs have their own issues, they are very susceptible to dirt and grime build up.

With all the bells and whistles that the new vehicles have when compared to the old PCC streetcars, we can expect more problems. There was a Consumers Alert recently on CTV on how new appliances may break down sooner compared to older models, for the very same reason, more parts (IE. electronics) that can break down. See link.

38 should be doable. 41 by my count, perhaps they aren't counting 4401 and 4550 that shipped very early in Q3 2019.

They shipped 41 cars in the first half of the year (42 so far). And 20 in the final quarter of last year. 38 (or even 41) seems quite doable. Though I'm thinking shipped here ... if some are stuck sitting on flatcars on New Years Day ... that's a possibility at this rate.

I suppose the risk comes, as they are starting to ramp down construction, that they lose specialized trades for other employment, and that they might not have enough parts, as they can't simply put a bad widget aside, and use a different widget, if there aren't enough widgets sitting ready to be used.

It's starting to look like it's going to be close enough.
4522-4557 + 4573-4575 ship this year that are on TTC property now. 4558 & 4559 in Toronto and that 41. With 4560, that 42. With Kingston not doing anymore TTC cars, leaves Thunder Bay to do 43 more cars as well rebuilt 4401. About 3rd quarter to the end of the year, pink slips will be handed out and that could slow the production line down. If all cars done like you say, that will be 81 cars this year from Thunder Bay compare to 62 last year. Pushing them out the door is great, but the extra time to fix things here after arrival and before going into service is not.

We are coming up to plant shut down for holiday and will that take place with the end of the line months away??

4556 & 4557 in the service bay and 4543 still at Hillcrest? at this time. April 29 was when 4543 was off loaded and the longest to date for a car to go into service on TTC property. Maybe it will be August for that car.

An additional order of 60 to 100 new streetcars are opposed by the suburban, anti-transit, automobile-addicted Councillors.
Also opposed by the people who have to figure out where to store > 204 cars without Russell fully available and with this notional Hillcrest division years away...

4522-4557 + 4573-4575 ship this year that are on TTC property now. 4558 & 4559 in Toronto and that 41. With 4560, that 42. With Kingston not doing anymore TTC cars, leaves Thunder Bay to do 43 more cars as well rebuilt 4401. About 3rd quarter to the end of the year, pink slips will be handed out and that could slow the production line down. If all cars done like you say, that will be 81 cars this year from Thunder Bay compare to 62 last year. Pushing them out the door is great, but the extra time to fix things here after arrival and before going into service is not.

We are coming up to plant shut down for holiday and will that take place with the end of the line months away??
Did TB fully shutdown last year or did they just shut one line at a time? Given the occasional backlogs commissioning has seen TTC might welcome a decrease in cadence for a few weeks, especially if they also have to figure out vacations and maintenance windows in Leslie.

Whether the Bombardier team at TB take vacations or whether the guys (and gals) at Kingston work harder (or take longer lunches) it seems that BBD will meet the end of year deadline - give or take a week or two.

To get the exact date, someone needs to consult this and report back; it will be quite as accurate as our speculations!

fortune.jpg

Thats 4408 on its way to Montreal to be turn over to CN who will delivery it to BBD La Pocatiere, QC plant.

Whether the Bombardier team at TB take vacations or whether the guys (and gals) at Kingston work harder (or take longer lunches) it seems that BBD will meet the end of year deadline - give or take a week or two.

To get the exact date, someone needs to consult this and report back; it will be quite as accurate as our speculations!

View attachment 193424

The folks at TB don't have to take a vacation right away, they just wait till they complete 4603, and then they should have time to take all the vacations in the world after that.

The layoffs are suppose to be late this year just in time for Christmas. Ah Bombardier, the gift that keeps on giving.

I'm curious about the new streetcars. I can't recall if I have ever asked this question but whatever.

Since the new trains are articulated is it possible for the TTC to add more articulation sections to the middle of the train? Right now there are 4 "parts" to the train so could they add a couple more in the middle to respond to rising demand? I'm don't know if this would be a challenge with turning stations or garage capacity but I am just interested in the trains themselves. Could it, even hypothetically, be done with the current trains?

Feds are already blaming Ford over these layoffs. Ontario is only one market and BBD will now struggle to get sales in large markets like NYC and London for example. Not due to any action or inaction from government, but the poor reputation due to quality and on time record of BBD itself.

Back