News   Mar 28, 2024
 152     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Does that mean they hit their target 11 in Q1 (if these 2 are delivered on time)? Or would that make 12?
If TTC had 4459 on site at year end and does receive 4472 by month end, that will make it 13 this quarter, considering 4460 was in CP yard before the end of the year and CP unable to deliver it.

If 4471 & 4472 are off loaded by month end, BBD will have live up to its first real delivery schedule, depending how you want to use 2017 numbers.

Since 4470 arrived March 19, it fulfill the original 70 plan cars for 2017, but it was reduced to 4463 just before Christmas. 4463 arrived Jan 29. Its all a number game now, with BBD being about 100 cars short as to where they should be in delivery.

^ Watching the tide roll away, yes. (The 2018 Great Lakes shipping season started this weekend through the Soo, btw.)

4472 just got named "Otis Redding".

If I'm hearing right, one (presumably 4471) will arrive at Hillcrest shortly and two more may have shipped, currently en route.

- Paul

^ Watching the tide roll away, yes. (The 2018 Great Lakes shipping season started this weekend through the Soo, btw.)

4472 just got named "Otis Redding".

If I'm hearing right, one (presumably 4471) will arrive at Hillcrest shortly and two more may have shipped, currently en route.

- Paul

To those going "huh?".

Looks like the payment machines onboard are reverting back to the old green P style machines. 4469 has been spotted on its burn in with both the current and old ones onboard.
EDIT: blurb in the CEO’s report confirms this.
0A4B0834-B2DF-4875-B40B-1D4203FAD64B.png

Attachments

• 0A4B0834-B2DF-4875-B40B-1D4203FAD64B.png
    0A4B0834-B2DF-4875-B40B-1D4203FAD64B.png
    419 KB · Views: 378
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the payment machines onboard are reverting back to the old green P style machines. 4469 has been spotted on its burn in with both the current and old ones onboard.
EDIT: blurb in the CEO’s report confirms this.

That's very unfortunate. The newer ones have tap credit/debit which IMO is a huge usability win for infrequent transit users, especially visitors to the city. The only real benefit I recall of the old ones is that you could just insert a token directly and it would automatically print an adult fare, whereas the new machines require the user to press 'token' on the screen first, which is somehow a massive stumbling block based on my observations.

I guess once you can tap debit/credit directly on the presto readers (I believe that's the plan, yes?) this would be redundant, but there's no telling when that'll happen--I think they've said 2018, but I recall hearing 2017 and 2016 previously, so it might be well into the 2020s before it actually happens, and it's being removed until then.

That's very unfortunate. The newer ones have tap credit/debit which IMO is a huge usability win for infrequent transit users, especially visitors to the city. The only real benefit I recall of the old ones is that you could just insert a token directly and it would automatically print an adult fare, whereas the new machines require the user to press 'token' on the screen first, which is somehow a massive stumbling block based on my observations.

I guess once you can tap debit/credit directly on the presto readers (I believe that's the plan, yes?) this would be redundant, but there's no telling when that'll happen--I think they've said 2018, but I recall hearing 2017 and 2016 previously, so it might be well into the 2020s before it actually happens, and it's being removed until then.
The only benefit is that there will be a machine that will have solid reliability compare to the current ones. In the short 3 months that they were used on Spadina back in 2014, I don’t recall it ever being down compared to the current ones. I would also assume that they’ve at least put a contactless reader onto the “new” machines.

In the short 3 months that they were used on Spadina back in 2014, I don’t recall it ever being down compared to the current ones.

To be fair, that was a very short period, and there were what, 2 streetcars with them at the time? 3? Maybe 2-4 surface stops with them mounted? Not a big sample size or a long period of time. We'll see.

I'm intrigued by the notes in that CEO report mentioned above. It states the only detailed schedule is for Q1.
I thought Bombardier had already commtted to 65 deliveries for 2018, with 17 of those for Q2?

I'm intrigued by the notes in that CEO report mentioned above. It states the only detailed schedule is for Q1.
I thought Bombardier had already commtted to 65 deliveries for 2018, with 17 of those for Q2?
Yes ... and yes. Or something like that.

A detailed schedule would tell you which cars arrive which week. Not which year!

Back