News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 569     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I would love for them to visit Thunder Bay and give us a tour of the line and show us just what goes into building one of these machines.

With special effects, including CGI and green screens, and editing, the video length will end about a 30 second commercial instead of a 20 minute short documentary.

I would love for them to visit Thunder Bay and give us a tour of the line and show us just what goes into building one of these machines.
They'd need to keep them away from the production staff. I bet the floor staff are embarrassed and furious by their apparent association with this delivery failure, and would love to anonymously vent.

I'll assume that there would be a bunch of frustrated folks trying to put the frames together but parts not holding together. It'll be similar to that video of assembling the Flexity 2 for Blackpool.
I'm imagining a child who built something out of Legos or put together a puzzle, and the last piece just won't fit. They try to shove it in a few times, get frustrated, and then pout in the corner.

I just noticed that with the new streetcars the routes are officially named Harbourfront or Spadina as well as the destination.

I just noticed that with the new streetcars the routes are officially named Harbourfront or Spadina as well as the destination.
The wonders of what an electronic destination sign can do. That's if youre lucky to see what it says from the front without the constant flickering.

The flickering is only photos and videos, in real life they're fine.
Hm that may be the case; i've only seen them in person a handful of times compared to the amount of times ive seen them in pictures and videos.

Looks like i'll have to get out and check them out more often.

A fast shutter speed on a video or still camera will make certain types of digital signs appear broken.

It is an artifact of high speed photography; something you don't at all see in real life, as the response time of the human eye is much slower. Flickering of the digital signboards will appear worse in very bright light (daylight) when the shutter speed is much faster (ie, 1/125 sec. or faster). If you are taking a low-light shot and hold the shutter open for longer, you won't get this effect because the refresh cycle of the signboard "paints" the whole picture.

Yesterday I took the new streetcar from Dundas and Spadina to Union, and I must say, they need to update the scheduling on that route. It felt like the tram was purposely going extra slow in order to stay on schedule, likely because the current one doesn't take into account rapid boarding. I doubt we ever went any faster than 30km/h, and the car would aim for red lights, stop in between stops, and even stop at greens! And yes, I checked the schedule afterwards, it wasn't because the driver was being an asshole, we arrived at Union right on time.

The trip took 20 minutes, and I mapped and calculated an average speed of about 10km/h. For a downtown bus or streetcar in mixed traffic is one thing, but for a light-LRT with its own right of way and fast boarding, even with close stops that is absolutely embarrassing. Even for the TTC!

Yesterday I took the new streetcar from Dundas and Spadina to Union, and I must say, they need to update the scheduling on that route. It felt like the tram was purposely going extra slow in order to stay on schedule, likely because the current one doesn't take into account rapid boarding. I doubt we ever went any faster than 30km/h, and the car would aim for red lights, stop in between stops, and even stop at greens! And yes, I checked the schedule afterwards, it wasn't because the driver was being an asshole, we arrived at Union right on time.

The trip took 20 minutes, and I mapped and calculated an average speed of about 10km/h. For a downtown bus or streetcar in mixed traffic is one thing, but for a light-LRT with its own right of way and fast boarding, even with close stops that is absolutely embarrassing. Even for the TTC!
They probably won't update the schedule until 510 is fully converted, as there's ALRVs still on it.

A fast shutter speed on a video or still camera will make certain types of digital signs appear broken.

It is an artifact of high speed photography; something you don't at all see in real life, as the response time of the human eye is much slower. Flickering of the digital signboards will appear worse in very bright light (daylight) when the shutter speed is much faster (ie, 1/125 sec. or faster). If you are taking a low-light shot and hold the shutter open for longer, you won't get this effect because the refresh cycle of the signboard "paints" the whole picture.
The destination signs on the buses flickers too but it's either the whole is is on or off at a much faster rate. Something like 400 Hz so only photos at like 1/500 sec would detect it.
The destination signs on the streetcars refreshes much slower like 60 Hz so anything 1/60 sec or faster would make it noticeable. Not all lines refreshes at the same time so they appear broken in photos. Some photographers do set the shutter speed to allow the whole sign to appear in daylight. That will require the streetcar to be stationary.

They do this so the LEDs aren't constantly on which extends their useful life.

They're doing this for ever route. It's ridiculous that every route that TTC "fixed" last year was given more time. Sometimes too much time.

This frustrates me too. Especially if you're running short on time to get somewhere, the streetcar moving slowly/staying stopped for no apparent reason is infuriating.

Back