News   Jul 16, 2024
 692     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 606     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 747     2 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

But they are in service - 501 Queen to Leslie is the "short turn" for the barn run

Agreed, why confuse riders further? Those cars act precisely as 501 Queen cars from Spadina to Leslie (or as 504 cars from Spadina-Queen & King then 501 to Leslie). Riders generally understand short turns, being common throughout the network.

Is that because it might slow down drivers going OOS, and therefore increase overtime claims? Never understood that otherwise.
That could make sense on a bus - but those streetcars are going to always get stuck behind a revenue car in service, so there is no real time savings.

Is that because it might slow down drivers going OOS, and therefore increase overtime claims? Never understood that otherwise.

Part of it is that. Part of it is that it allows them to be more flexible with the routing.

But they do also run a lot of buses in service to the garage, and they are scheduled too - they are usually signed as short turns.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I notice that the westbound 501 cars are still consistently signed for "Long Branch", but with the Short Turn signs visible.

I guess they don't want anyone passing up a 501-Roncesvalles signed car, in the mistaken belief that a true Long Branch bound car will come along eventually.

PS - other than TTC having taken down the overhead streetcar wires, there is absolutely no sign of anyone beginning to do work on the Queensway bridge at the Humber. That's over six weeks' diversion for no good reason.

- Paul

I notice that the westbound 501 cars are still consistently signed for "Long Branch", but with the Short Turn signs visible.

I guess they don't want anyone passing up a 501-Roncesvalles signed car, in the mistaken belief that a true Long Branch bound car will come along eventually.

PS - other than TTC having taken down the overhead streetcar wires, there is absolutely no sign of anyone beginning to do work on the Queensway bridge at the Humber. That's over six weeks' diversion for no good reason.

- Paul
City notices say start date is Spring 2017. The city might to some prep work and wants the streetcars out of the way. That's what I figure. TTC planning is done like 4-6 months ahead of time. The city loves to tell TTC a certain date and then pushes it later. Service is already planned so they can't change it on the fly. Everything has to be glued to the rules by the book these days.

Additional running time has been added to routes on for the 6 point intersection reconfiguration since 2015. They have yet to close any roadway.

They've started ripping out the track on Queensway last week (near Windermere).

That's exactly why they do it.

- Paul

There's plenty of reason. They need to build a temporary roadway on the streetcar ROW to allow for the Queensway lane shift. That starts by pulling down the wires, pulling out the rail and ties and ballast - all of which has started.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Most companies have switched to weekly overtime computations. If you work an extra 30 min on Monday because everything is running late the company will organize it so you get to leave 30 minutes early on Tues. Net no overtime unless you have over 40 hours at the end of the week.

I could imagine the screams of agony at the union if this was proposed. But would improve customer satisfaction (no short turns, going 10 km/hr on a streetcar with not one in front of you so the driver can time his arrival at the station, sitting for 5 minutes at a subway stop while the driver switches direction, etc.)

Most companies have switched to weekly overtime computations. If you work an extra 30 min on Monday because everything is running late the company will organize it so you get to leave 30 minutes early on Tues. Net no overtime unless you have over 40 hours at the end of the week.

I could imagine the screams of agony at the union if this was proposed. But would improve customer satisfaction (no short turns, going 10 km/hr on a streetcar with not one in front of you so the driver can time his arrival at the station, sitting for 5 minutes at a subway stop while the driver switches direction, etc.)
I doubt this idea would be too popular with the union and many of the problems you correctly note could (and should) be dealt with by proper route management.

Back