News   Apr 26, 2024
 170     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 165     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 596     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

PRIMOVE Catenary-Free Technology

BT-4086-PRIMOVE_Energy_flow.jpg

NICE I just dont think Toronto is ready for these.When it comes to new technology this city has a habit of watching other world cities install and run them before making firm purchasing decisions,which could be a generation or two down the road.

It would be sweet to see a line of these CFTs on Queen or King street.

Last edited:
NICE I just dont think Toronto is ready for these.When it comes to new technology this city has a habit of watching other world cities install and run them before making firm purchasing decisions,which could be a generation or two down the road.

I would still see the overhead catenary wires while the old LRT's and streetcars are still around in the downtown area. Unless, they are able to install the technology on the old vehicles.

A prototype vehicle is currently undergoing testing at the Bombardier facilities in Bautzen, Germany (east of Dresden, west of the Polish border). The TTC should at least send at least one of their people (who are visiting Germany on vacation) to make a side trip to check it out up close.

Last edited:

Perhaps, but I think the overhead lines actually look great in a lot of areas. Queen & Spadina wouldn't be the same without htem.

Seems like a great idea - but I'd have to see one running in heavy snow, the tracks covered with slush, and water streaming like a river down the hill in the rails, before I'd be convinced that it would work.

I always found that a very strange argument. I pay the same amount in taxes on my income whether I live in Newfoundland or Toronto. The fact remains that taxpayers in Thunder Bay are paying for Toronto's streetcars, and it hardly seems fair for them to use their tax dollars to put themselves out of business
I highly doubt that Thunder Bay pays our taxes considering their population is only 100k. Even though taxes and collected at a federal and provincial level, revenue is distributed relatively evenly. It seems like Toronto is receiving a lot less of the share.

Second, why are we going to subsidize trams to keep jobs in Thunder Bay when jobs are rarely subsidized. Most pay horrendous wages with 1.4 million earning under $10/hr. I wouldn't mind procuring a cost-effective street car from Bombardier but certainly wouldn't want to subsidize their crap.

Third, competition is good for Toronto. Minimizing the costs of street cars will allow us to procure more units (vs. going GO) and maintain a respectable level of frequency. I doubt Bombardier is going to hurt by just introducing a bit more competition. Maybe Hamilton or Mississauga could cover their losses by paying a head overhead ala the subway contract.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, when is the TTC supposed to get back to us on the status of the next gen LRV?

I'm just curious as to what those streetcars shown have to do with Toronto?
It's not a design being considered for Toronto is it?

Last edited:
I'm just curious as to what those streetcars shown have to do with Toronto?
It's not a design being considered for Toronto is it?

First, the TTC has to choose the manufacturer who will build a low-floor light rail vehicle for us, that can handle the inclines and curves.

After the manufacturer is chosen, then we can see what options they have for us, such as the Catenary-Free Technology, paint job, air conditioning, or bucket Corinthian-leather reclining seats with footrests for the passengers (not).

If TTC wanted the option of Catenary-Free Technology then the starting point would be to put it in the RFP. As they did not, the ship has already sailed.

If TTC wanted the option of Catenary-Free Technology then the starting point would be to put it in the RFP. As they did not, the ship has already sailed.

However, the RFP process has been terminated. The current process is a vaguely-defined one involving direct discussions between the TTC and the three invited vendors. It's not clear whether or not the original RFP document is playing a role in the new process. I would expect that it is certainly still being used for baseline requirements - but that does not necessarily prevent the TTC from raising this technology as an option if it wanted to.

Last edited:
all i can say is.. keep dreamin..

keep dreamin..

all i can say is.. keep dreamin..

keep dreamin..

Chrysler in 1941 introduced "Fluid Drive" -- a semi-automatic transmission that still had a clutch pedal. Although Fluid Drive allowed you to start out without using the clutch and the electric overdrive kicked in automatically, you still had to employ the clutch to change between "low" and "high" gears.
Trucks and buses started to have automatic transmissions after 1951. Before 1951, the bus drivers had to manually shift through the bus gears.
So if in the 1940's and 1950's you put out requests for buses, you may assumed that it would have manual transmissions and would be "dreaming" about how the automatic transmissions would work for buses.
Same with the Catenary-Free Technology, it's very new. We should be at least aware of it, and to allow for it as it develops.

First, the TTC has to choose the manufacturer who will build a low-floor light rail vehicle for us, that can handle the inclines and curves.

After the manufacturer is chosen, then we can see what options they have for us, such as the Catenary-Free Technology, paint job, air conditioning, or bucket Corinthian-leather reclining seats with footrests for the passengers (not).

Probably should have posted it in it's own topic regarding LRT in general or something.
Looking at this thread would make one think it's somethign we might be getting which I don't think is the case.

Back