News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 427     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Umm... No it hasn't. Back in the 90s, whatever code you shipped was the version people would be using forever. There was no such thing as updating the code to iron out the bugs after the software has shipped. So whatever you shipped to the public had better be as perfect as possible.

That was (largely) the case with commercial software to the public until the mid-1990s, sure. (And forever....riiiiiight.) But that certainly wasn't the case for software written for companies or large organizations. The company I was working for at the time received software updates by mail on a monthly basis or more frequent if it was an urgent fix, and they were only an organization of about 60 employees.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

How long will it be until 4409 is in revenue service, and what's the projected interval before 4010 arrives?

Last edited:
Bombardier merging with Siemens or Alstom is, I would think, sure to be scrutinized by the EU Competition Commissioner.

Maybe Toronto and some other cities should have bought into United Street Car and then had a North American supplier of such vehicles outside of Bombardier. Just dreaming at the moment, I haven't checked into this in detail, now back to work.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Streetcar

We did have our own street car producer in the 70's and 80's, then province sold it off to Bombardier in the early 90's.

The problem why we keep buying from Bombardier because of politics and jobs in Thunder Bay. We know full well the province wouldn't agree to fund TransitCity or the streetcar replacements if it didn't have Bombardier (Made in Thunder Bay) written all in side it.

Haven't two of the new streetcars already been smashed up in collisions? How long are/were they out of service for?

o-STREETCARS-CRASH-facebook.jpg

Haven't two of the new streetcars already been smashed up in collisions? How long are/were they out of service for?

Oh man, I love that picture. Even though it's smaller, the CLRV is such a hefty workhorse, and has logged so many hours, that I basically imagine that it purposefully shoved the LFLRV aside. Perhaps to the tune of Ludacris' Move, bitch (get out the way).

4408 was only two weeks or so I think? It was back for the Pan Ams after a crash the last week of June.

We did have our own street car producer in the 70's and 80's, then province sold it off to Bombardier in the early 90's.

The problem why we keep buying from Bombardier because of politics and jobs in Thunder Bay. We know full well the province wouldn't agree to fund TransitCity or the streetcar replacements if it didn't have Bombardier (Made in Thunder Bay) written all in side it.

Actually the province sold UTDC to Lavalin in the mid-1980s, who then nearly went bust and sold it to Bombardier in the early 1990s.

Politics has a way of infiltrating everything where public money, jobs and votes are concerned.

Actually the province sold UTDC to Lavalin in the mid-1980s, who then nearly went bust and sold it to Bombardier in the early 1990s.

Politics has a way of infiltrating everything where public money, jobs and votes are concerned.

Canadian Car and Foundry ("Can Car") also made the Peter Witt (with Ottawa Car Company and J. G. Brill) and PCC streetcars (models A6, A7, and A8) and some of the Toronto trolley buses, which became Hawker Siddeley, which became UTDC, which became Bombardier Transportation. So they did have the experience.

I coaught one of them on a diversion the other day do to a satled streecar ahead of us. It headed west on king north on Bathurst and then east on college back to sapdian. I took some video as it made the turns onto Bathurst, College and Spadina.

There are only 3 new streetcars in service today.

The thought occurred to me that the TTC could be purposely withholding them from service to increase the public's awareness of their absence. This is to continue putting pressure on Bombardier to meet their commitments (as inadequate and delayed as they are).

Thoughts?

The thought occurred to me that the TTC could be purposely withholding them from service to increase the public's awareness of their absence. This is to continue putting pressure on Bombardier to meet their commitments (as inadequate and delayed as they are).

Thoughts?

I don't think Bombardier would be particularly moved by that tactic.

Thoughts?

They might be due for inspections which would keep them in the carhouse for the day.

Back