News   Aug 16, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 813     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 578     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I liked them. SEPTA has 3 types - single ended, doubled end cars built by Kawaski, and rebuilt PCC's (called PCC II).

The PCC IIs have new traction gear and other equipment so they really only look like PCCs, but don't have the original PCC equipment. They also have air conditioning and lifts for accessibility.

I intend to fight all of you for the honour of being the very first customer to board our new LFLRVs. Just a warning... ;)

I don't understand: is there some event at a specific time you're going to?

Shh.... Nobody tell ehlow about the awesome, super secret event that we all know about but he knows nothing about.

Here's some info I gathererd when talking informally with TTC staff, I posted this on Steve Munro's blog, and figured I'd post it here in regards to the questions regarding the roll-out schedule:

From chatting with TTC staff, much of the roll-out schedule has to do with technical reasons, and politics only plays in so much as not having construction on lines that have already had construction recently, as routes need to be upgraded physically to properly operate the new vehicles (platform mods for the wheelchair ramp, curb cuts, and pantograph-friendly overhead). This is my impression of why the schedule is the way it is, but I welcome any corrections.

510 desperately needs more capacity, but without adding more vehicles, is a shorter line, and was up for repairs/reconstruction. 511 is next, also being a shorter line, and easier to upgrade the platforms and curbs. 509 was a logical next step, as it was also being upgraded and shares trackage with 510 and 511.

505, 501, and 508 are later as they are longer routes, and needed more time to upgrade stops and acquire a large amount of vehicles, although it looks like upgrades will be done long before the delayed streetcars arrive. Most of the platforms have been rebuilt already. I’m not sure what they plan on doing with the Parkside stop, as it’s not accessible, and would probably be a challenge and too costly to upgrade.

504 and 512 are later because they recently were reconstructed (Roncesvalles for 504) but not to spec for the new streetcars. The TTC, businesses, and/or councillors didn’t want major work crews on the road again so soon again, so these upgrades will be in 2016/2017. The Queen/King/Roncy intersection will be a major undertaking in 2016, coupled with platform upgrades on Roncy, and rebuilding the island at Bloor and Dundas. 504 also requires modifications at Dundas West station due to clearance issues between the pantograph and station overhang.

502 and 503 are lesser-used routes, so they’re almost at the end. There is also an issue with the island at Queen and Kingston which is too narrow, but constrained by the 501 tracks, and I believe, with modifying Bingham loop.

506 is at the end because it runs mostly on it’s own trackage, and so doesn’t benefit from upgrades in other parts of the system. It also has an issue with most of its island platforms being too short and narrow, and with challenges on how to make them larger in the existing road space.

I also plan on being at Spadina station for the maiden voyage! :cool:

Its actually really embarrassing how this is so "new" to people in Toronto, whereas its the accepted method of paying for fare at basically 99% of all other transit systems in the world...

We are so behind in some ways with our transit.

true, but the fact is a real 2014 transit system doesn't need a transfer. The smart transit card does everything.
Transfers are so 20th century.

How often does a TTC driver/ticket collector really check the validity of transfers? Millions of lost revenue from that. Try holding an expired transfer and wave it at drivers/subway ticket collectors during rush hour and see if they have the time to look at it.

I liked them. SEPTA has 3 types - single ended, doubled end cars built by Kawaski, and rebuilt PCC's (called PCC II). The Kawasakis look to be in really good shape for cars built in the 1980's. The highlight for me was the streetcar tunnel that runs under Market St to City Hall. The tunnel is a 4 track structure with subway tracks in the middle, and at some streetcar stops, you can watch the subway trains roar by. I am sure some hardy souls tried to cross the tracks. In the tunnel, the maximum permitted speed is displayed on the operator console, and it's signalled.

My favourite line is the Norristown High Speed line. It's a fully grade separated line with 3rd rail power, and small high floor cars with onboard fare collection. You have to signal for your stop and at stops you have to press a button to flag apporaching trains. The platforms at some stops are really small too. The name is accurate too. It's quite fast.

Everyone: As a regular visitor to Philadelphia and a SEPTA user I will add that SEPTA's two Kawasaki car types date from back around 1981 and both have always been kept well...
The rebuilt PCCs on the 15 route are Brookville rebuilds from the late 1990s - with added amenities like air conditioning...

The Subway-Surface route to City Hall of the 10,11,13,34 and 36 lines is a interesting routing - the Market-Frankford Line uses the center two tracks and at 18th and 22nd Street
Stations there are ways to cross the MFSE tracks - BUT - those tracks are on wood block ties bolted to the floor that would need to be climbed over along with both third rails..
Those MFSE trains move fast at those points and crossing tracks would be too dangerous...and illegal

The Norristown High Speed Line was as mentioned - for busy stops the car will always stop regardless of signal which is used more for smaller stations and at off hours to speed service...

As for fares - Transfers are $1 as JBG says but there are day passes available: A 8-ride (transit) Convenience Pass ($8) or a Unlimited Independence Pass ($12) also good on Regional Rail...

JBG: Which SEPTA pass did you have?

For more SEPTA information see: www.septa.org

LI MIKE

I was at the lakeshore today and I saw TWO new streetcars back to back. I managed to get a photo of the second one.

14612592029_d011f18f46_b.jpg

Salsa: I really like this picture...The new "Caterpillars" are definitely good for reserved median routes like this...

With the Philadelphia mention SEPTA should be eyeing how these cars work out on the TTC since replacement cars for the early 80s Kawasaki fleet have been mentioned
for a future order...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
I intend to fight all of you for the honour of being the very first customer to board our new LFLRVs. Just a warning... ;)

Shh.... Nobody tell ehlow about the awesome, super secret event that we all know about but he knows nothing about.

OMG what event guys?!??! ;)

So... are you guys going to wait at some stop along Spadina and wait for one of the new ones or something?

Everyone: As a regular visitor to Philadelphia and a SEPTA user I will add that SEPTA's two Kawasaki car types date from back around 1981 and both have always been kept well...
The rebuilt PCCs on the 15 route are Brookville rebuilds from the late 1990s - with added amenities like air conditioning...

The Subway-Surface route to City Hall of the 10,11,13,34 and 36 lines is a interesting routing - the Market-Frankford Line uses the center two tracks and at 18th and 22nd Street
Stations there are ways to cross the MFSE tracks - BUT - those tracks are on wood block ties bolted to the floor that would need to be climbed over along with both third rails..
Those MFSE trains move fast at those points and crossing tracks would be too dangerous...and illegal

The Norristown High Speed Line was as mentioned - for busy stops the car will always stop regardless of signal which is used more for smaller stations and at off hours to speed service...

As for fares - Transfers are $1 as JBG says but there are day passes available: A 8-ride (transit) Convenience Pass ($8) or a Unlimited Independence Pass ($12) also good on Regional Rail...

JBG: Which SEPTA pass did you have?

For more SEPTA information see: www.septa.org

LI MIKE

I used the Transpass. It's easily the best value if you want to explore Philly.
you can ride Regional Rail Airport line for free with the Transpass, I was hoping to ride the new SilverLiner V to the airport, but I caught a IV instead. Still nice EMU's for their age.

OMG what event guys?!??! ;)

So... are you guys going to wait at some stop along Spadina and wait for one of the new ones or something?
I'm assuming some details will be announced soon for the first trip. I'd assume it will leave Spadina Station first.

Back