News   Jul 22, 2024
 210     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 370     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 423     0 

TTC: Fare hike, no cuts

Flawed TTC statistics don't help.

We need stats on the TTC's revenue passenger-km. That's the only way to gauge efficiency.

We need stats on the TTC's revenue passenger-km. That's the only way to gauge efficiency.

Surely to gauge efficiency you would also require some detail about the costs involved; both internal hard costs and externalized costs.

Yes, another excellent point. That can be accomplished by cancelling surface routes, and reducing off-peak subway frequencies. Why not run the BD line once every 20-minutes at midnight ... New York City has subway lines that run that infrequently.

In theory, with factors like density and busy feeder routes with an additional fare for the subway; there are several routes to profitability. But they need not be thought about because your theory is clearly the most pragmatic.

There was an article somewhere today that showed the subsidies other transit agencies get:
the TTC was was something like 0.5
NYC was 1.4
LA transit was 4.1

Bingo! Which is why neither the 19-Hurontario or Yonge subway makes money; the majority of users are transferring to something.

Oh so transfers suddenly mean that riders don't pay fares at all? Right...

If for example a route cost $1.40 per boarding and generates $1.50 in revenue per boarding (not that $1.50 is not the fare), that is still a $0.10 profit.

It is not hard to see why Yonge or 19 Hurontario is more efficient than other routes. For Yonge it the high volume of passangers and high capacity of the trains, and for Hurontario is because of the high and frequent turnover in passengers.

Anyways, I never advocated cutting low performing routes or increasing fares on low performing routes, so you are barking at the wrong tree.

where is somewhere?

Fare hike aproved ... but the right away ... I like what the TTC did, this makes sense:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/727052--ttc-fare-hike-approved?bn=1

Key points:
"The price of a Metropass will go up about 11 per cent to $121 rather than the $126 that was originally suggested."
^^ This implies the multiplier is the same ... they were planning on over burdening metropass users ... in the TTC's defense, it does cost more.

"While the TTC provides the most rides per capita in North America, it raises significantly more revenue through the fare box than others. New York's transit system gets a $1.71 subsidy per ride compared to 59 cents per TTC ride."

I don't recall where but LA was 4+ dollars.

Time for this 29 year old to buy a mixture of tokens (for the buses) and student fare (for the run through the turnstiles subway getaway)

Fare hike aproved ... but the right away ... I like what the TTC did, this makes sense:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/727052--ttc-fare-hike-approved?bn=1

Key points:
"The price of a Metropass will go up about 11 per cent to $121 rather than the $126 that was originally suggested."
^^ This implies the multiplier is the same ... they were planning on over burdening metropass users ... in the TTC's defense, it does cost more.

"While the TTC provides the most rides per capita in North America, it raises significantly more revenue through the fare box than others. New York's transit system gets a $1.71 subsidy per ride compared to 59 cents per TTC ride."

I don't recall where but LA was 4+ dollars.

It's a shame all the angry commenters on that article missed that part.

Ah! I am confused... why does it say "Token machines now only accept coins and will only dispense one token per transaction" as the photo caption? Whaatt? It wasn't mentioned in the article. Or is this until January 3rd to stop people from stockpiling tokens before Jan. 3?

Also, didn't Adam Giambrone's Facebook page say something about university students only having to pay $2.00 to use the TTC now? Please don't tell me I too have the dish out $3.00 I don't have.

No tokens at the convenience store near work
No tokens at Union Station
No tokens at King Station
Limit of 1 token at all machines

At Union and King, customers were going to the booth to buy tokens and the collectors were just waving them through, letting them on the system for free.

Freakin' ridiculous.

At this rate they've going to have to simply drop cash fare to $2.25 because tokens are impossible to come by.

Ah! I am confused... why does it say "Token machines now only accept coins and will only dispense one token per transaction" as the photo caption? Whaatt? It wasn't mentioned in the article. Or is this until January 3rd to stop people from stockpiling tokens before Jan. 3?

Also, didn't Adam Giambrone's Facebook page say something about university students only having to pay $2.00 to use the TTC now? Please don't tell me I too have the dish out $3.00 I don't have.

Just go to the collectors booth and ask for tokens. He might just let you ride for free.

I knew that TTC would raise its fares as expected; $121 is quite high, near the cost of a student monthly pass from SQ1 to Union. $3.00 is too high for a metropolis like T.O., and getting tokens only gets hectic...

Great news though, is that student discount has extended to all university & college students; a student monthly pass now costs $99 (a win for me :))

Last edited:
Curse Miller & Giambrone and those TTC commissioners

I am a senior citizen -, these heartless overpaid bastards just made tens of thousands of seniors lives' more miserable. There was no negotiation with the Union to decrease their salaries or trying to come up with some technical solution to save some money. I hope they all end up in Living Hell.:mad:

Back