News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

TTC: Cherry Street reconstruction and streetcar trackage (City of Toronto/TTC, U/C)

For those who may or may not seen it, but the traffic lights need adjustment to allow the streetcar to move more than a block at a time because of red lights on the ROW. Even the drivers are say this, and its the first day/weekend of service.

TTC needs to make some quick changes for the 514 vehicles, as its confusing as it stands. Most of all, TTC needs to change the policy regarding the new cars stopping at every stop when no one wants off or on one one there like the current fleet does. What it is doing, is having all the 514 cars at one end of the line and slowing both 504 and 514 service down.

Was on 4421 today and the driver did everything by the book, that when we got to Dufferin Loop from Cherry St Loop, 3 other cars arrived within a couple of minutes. No CLRV pass us on the ROW as we went north. We stop at ever stop including Simcoe and Victoria as the AA were calling out those stops. Policy calls for drivers to stop at remove stops if AA calls it out and riders want off.

I just to the surface at King St at Yonge St to see a 504 going to Parliament from the side, but it was found out later it was a 514 that a slip grard on short turn sign saying 514. Come on TTC, how hard is to make up some large signs for the front and side window saying this car is a 514 and where it goes since the roll signs will never have a 514 route on it. I caught the 121 just after this short turning car departed, only to see it at the loop behing 4421 and thought TTC was now using the Cherry Loop to short turn cars than Parliament, only to find out later it was a 514 car.

Service was so so for 121 on Cherry to the south with some long and normal gaps while I was down there.

I rode 3rd CLRV east from Dufferin Loop and got off along the route. Within 5 minute, the 4th CLRV 514 past me heading east.

2 riders almost got hit getting off 514 4421 going west, with the driver laying on the horn trying to gets cars to stop for the riders.

Lets see what Monday and this week bring for 514 service in heavy traffic compare to light taffic this weekend.

Lets see how long it takes to get the fare machines for the ROW.

For those who may or may not seen it, but the traffic lights need adjustment to allow the streetcar to move more than a block at a time because of red lights on the ROW. Even the drivers are say this, and its the first day/weekend of service.

TTC needs to make some quick changes for the 514 vehicles, as its confusing as it stands. Most of all, TTC needs to change the policy regarding the new cars stopping at every stop when no one wants off or on one one there like the current fleet does. What it is doing, is having all the 514 cars at one end of the line and slowing both 504 and 514 service down.

1) Agreed on the lights on the Sumach/Cherry ROW. I rode the length of it twice, each time we had a lengthy stop at each light, one after another. It was very noticeable.

2) I've never heard of that policy for the LFLRVs. I frequently ride them on 509 and 510 and every time that somebody hasn't requested a stop and nobody is waiting to board, they drive through the stop just as C/ALRVs do. Rode 4421 on 514 today from the loop to Yonge, and similarly, it by passed the majority of stops as nobody was getting on or off. Not sure where you got that from.

1) Agreed on the lights on the Sumach/Cherry ROW. I rode the length of it twice, each time we had a lengthy stop at each light, one after another. It was very noticeable.

2) I've never heard of that policy for the LFLRVs. I frequently ride them on 509 and 510 and every time that somebody hasn't requested a stop and nobody is waiting to board, they drive through the stop just as C/ALRVs do. Rode 4421 on 514 today from the loop to Yonge, and similarly, it by passed the majority of stops as nobody was getting on or off. Not sure where you got that from.
We stop at every stop going west and the 4421 driver was telling me about this policy of having to stop. I need to check to see what is the real policy is.

I have been on 510 cars that have done both. This could be the cause of the driver being new to the route.

The new cars should operate as the existing fleet and time to start getting riders to push the button to open the doors, not the driver doing all of them.

What's this stopping at every stop non-sense? 4421 yesterday on the special trip blew past every empty stop and almost didn't stop for people till Brad Ross told the driver someone wants to board.

The new cars should operate as the existing fleet and time to start getting riders to push the button to open the doors, not the driver doing all of them.

The problem is poel are idiots and don't get thath they need to push the flashing red button until the driver tells them to do it, the few times I've seen them actually do it.

My night time shot.

13501967_10157063033165297_8407220658230098574_n.jpg

Attachments

• 13501967_10157063033165297_8407220658230098574_n.jpg
    13501967_10157063033165297_8407220658230098574_n.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 966
The problem is poel are idiots and don't get thath they need to push the flashing red button until the driver tells them to do it, the few times I've seen them actually do it.
Like everything, its a learning curve and ppl have to start learning sooner or later what they have to do to get on or off the car. I remember the first Time ridding Buffalo LRT as how do I get on with no one getting off nor doors opening. A few seconds later, OH!! I push this button and the door open with the stairs treads folded out for me, but that me. You are going to have to hold riders hands a few time to show them what needs to take place before they will do it on their own.

The one complaint I hear all the time and does need to be address, where do I press something to get off?? Should be 2-4 buttons at all doors and this will require riders not to sit in their seat until the last moment to press the button.

Well I was hoping some of the speculation around here would be right about them running the short turning 504's to Cherry rather than short turning at Parliament, but it seems there's more short turns at Parliament than ever now.

Well I was hoping some of the speculation around here would be right about them running the short turning 504's to Cherry rather than short turning at Parliament, but it seems there's more short turns at Parliament than ever now.
They've replaced the bus trippers by streetcars, with the summer-time surplus of streetcars, due to construction.

This morning, many seemed to be heading north on Parliament, and re-entering at Dundas.

This is a good thing, as the base 4-minute service in AM peak isn't enough, and once you get south of Gerrard, the CRLVs start to leave people behind.

So some cars must enter much further up the 504 route than Sackville - or else you leave people standing at the stop at Queen/Broadview, Caroll, River, and Sumach.

Should be 2-4 buttons at all doors and this will require riders not to sit in their seat until the last moment to press the button.

there's one on each door, plus a third one on the second section with the ramp on it to request for the driver to deploy it. plus there are stop request buttons all over the cr. I think it's just that people still don't know that the button opens the door

The one complaint I hear all the time and does need to be address, where do I press something to get off?? Should be 2-4 buttons at all doors and this will require riders not to sit in their seat until the last moment to press the button.

I hear that all the time and frankly it's ridiculous and lazy of people to make that complaint. There are stop request buttons all over the car.

And why exactly should there be 2-4 buttons at all doors? How is one on each door not sufficient? What possible reason could there be for more? The doors are not a hundred metres long, if somebody can reach one spot on the door they can reach the existing button. Where exactly on the small doors are they going to put 1-3 more buttons that will make it so much easier for people to reach them than the existing button? And why would someone wait until reaching the door to press a stop request rather than just pressing the one where they're sitting/standing?

If you're referring to opening the door rather than requesting a stop, 1) most LFLRV drivers don't operate the vehicles properly and open all doors at all stops--lets all of the cold AC air out but means this isn't an issue; 2) pressing any stop request button or door button, whether or not somebody else has already pressed another one, automatically sets the nearest door to open the next time the doors are activated; 3) again, there's already one door open button on each door.

Back