News   May 01, 2024
 750     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 257     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 333     0 

Tsunami was God's revenge for your wicked ways, women told

Re: Tsunami was God's revenge for your wicked ways, women to

How about you guys have a little faith. The bible mostly is a book about love, about respecting people, etc.

Thats what I get out of the bible.

Not once in Catholic school did we ever read the bible in a way that promoted people going to hell, or God punishing the world. We always read it and read the verses of love, and caring, etc.

So stop being so hard on it. There are many good lessons in the bible about love.

And with all the un moral things going on in our society today, maybe more people need to take a little look at faith again.

I do not believe the Tsunami was an act by God against the earth, because the God I believe in and was taught about is a God of love and not disaster and punishment.

"Not once in Catholic school did we ever read the bible in a way that promoted people going to hell, or God punishing the world. We always read it and read the verses of love, and caring, etc."

keyword - "Catholic"

re: sin of Onan

The sin of Onan was because of Onan's irresponsibility to raise a son for Er. It was a cultural practice at the time (Deuteronomy 25:5-10, Matthew 22:24) that if the husband died, his brother should take the widow as his wife to continue the family. There was nothing wrong with Onan sleeping with Tamar, but what was wrong was that he "spilled semen on the ground". And yes, God killed Er and Onan, but it doesn't say they were sent to hell, does it?

The real answer is that all sins are forgivable (except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (Mark 3, Matthew 12) , which many theologians believe cannot be committed today). However sins can only be forgivable by repenting to God (the Protestant view... the Catholics still have the confession box) . So it is not the type of sin that condemns people to hell, but whether a person's sins are repented and forgiven.

prove that the bible is NOT fiction. Saying something is true, without error, or the direct word of a deity requires proof.

It's a huge topic, and I can definitely not convince you with a post that the Bible is non-fiction. For starters the Bible talks about people and places that everybody admits existed... Rome, Greece, Israel, Babylon, Persia, Egypt, King Nebuchadnezzar, the kings of Persia. I can lead you to a good number of Biblical archaeology websites that show the historical accuracy of the Bible.

If you want, I'll let you give me some of your explanations for the resurrection of Christ. If the resurrection is a myth, then why did the early Christians get martyred and died for a myth?

let's say the Bible was the divine word of God... how could that possibly be proven?

That can't be proven, because it is a matter of faith, but the Bible could still be tested for truth outside of what God says.

there can be many factors involved with the bible.

Just wondering, Dan... did you get your questions out of the Da Vinci Code?

1) The current Old Testament has been shown by the Dead Sea Scrolls to be almost the same as the one two thousand years ago. Quote from Wikipedia on the Dead Sea Scrolls: "Although some of the biblical manuscripts found at Qumran differ significantly from the Masoretic text, most do not." (the Masoretic text is the basis of today's Old Testament)

The New Testament is written in Greek, a language that still exists today. Even though there may have been changes to the language, scholars still know how to read the language used in biblical times.

2) The Roman Catholic Church did add some apocryphal books to the Bible after the Protestant Reformation to fit its doctrine, but the Protestant Bible canon has remained the same since the 4th century AD. The criteria for New Testament books in the Bible is that they must be written by an apostle (including Paul) or someone who knew an apostle, and they must have been written in the same century as the lifetime of Christ. Roman Emperor Constantine did not change the Bible during the Council of Nicaea as the Da Vinci Code alleges.

3) Some parts of the Bible are metaphorical (such as Revelations and Jesus' parables), but it's made very clear to the reader what parts are and what parts aren't.

4) Like what? I've got to ask you for proof (again).

"And yes, God killed Er and Onan, but it doesn't say they were sent to hell, does it?"

It doesn't say they weren't. What exactly happens when God smotes you? What's the difference anyway?

"I can definitely not convince you with a post that the Bible is non-fiction."

All fiction references real people, places, and things...it's impossible not to. The Bible might just be a history of the Levant and its assorted colourful characters with a few miracles, monsters, and mayhem - the obligatory car chase + explosions + gratuitous nudity - thrown in to keep it entertaining.

That can't be proven, because it is a matter of faith, but the Bible could still be tested for truth outside of what God says.

So you can go around making demands for "proof," but hide within a statement of "faith" when you can otherwise offer no such evidence for factuality.

For every website stating biblical accuracy, there are others questioning it.

If the resurrection is a myth, then why did the early Christians get martyred and died for a myth?
the same reason that anyone has ever been martyred for any religion. belief in religion can be a powerful thing.

As philosophy, I agree with much of what Jesus has said. I think the world would be a better place if people actually practiced the core principles of what Jesus' teachings. On the other hand, the vast majority of Christians (at the very least in my experience) have chosen not to follow the teachings of Jesus, and are often hateful and cruel at least some of the time.

George Bush is one example. "Turn the other cheek" after 9/11 turned into "We have to kill the terrorist bastards". "Don't kill people" turned into "An execution a day keeps Satan at bay" while he was governor. I dislike the immense hypocrisy of much of Christian movement, and it is why I have settled on agnosticism (besides the fact that it's absurd to believe one way or the other in the existence of a supernatural being).

BibleWarningLabel.jpg

Just wondering, Dan... did you get your questions out of the Da Vinci Code?

haven't seen it. i've read up on bible code though.

Like what? I've got to ask you for proof (again)

proof? for what? i was asking a question, not stating a fact.

one thing is for sure, we don't know for sure.

If the resurrection is a myth, then why did the early Christians get martyred and died for a myth?

why did the Heaven's Gate followers allow themselves to be castrated and eventually commit mass suicide?

Back