News   Sep 03, 2024
 415     1 

Trinity Bellwoods Park to face alcohol crackdown

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Gee..... I guess its about time:eek:

Rash of complaints about drunken behaviour leads to a new strategy in a park that in the past has winked at discreet bottles

A rise in neighbourhood complaints about alcohol use in Trinity Bellwood's has prompted officials to develop a strategy to curb unruly behaviour in the park. More police and bylaw officers will be patrolling the area later this month

The initiative is part of “Project Green Glasses,†a new strategy by police to enforce liquor laws in several public parks, including Bellevue Square Park in Kensington Market. In Toronto, drinking in public can earn one a $125 fine.
More............http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/07/02/trinity_bellwoods_park_to_face_alcohol_crackdown.html

Ideally, the police would ticket those who are unruly and loud, and leave alone those enjoying a quiet picnic.

On the flip side, I've lived for years in the UK where alcohol is allowed and even encouraged in parks. In fact, until recently you could ride the bus or the tube with a drink in hand!

This past weekend, my wife, baby and I went to the local park for the afternoon with a picnic & a bottle of wine. There were dozens of other groups: families, hipsters, youths of all colors, you name it. Drinking a beer in the park doesn't make you a criminal, it makes you a human and indeed a citizen. I love it.

middle_4.jpg

Attachments

• middle_4.jpg
    middle_4.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,119
Last edited:
^ Exactly. Why should one have to wait in a long line to pay the crazy markup at a patio, just to have a drink with a friend outdoors? Many people in the city don't have back yards.

We need to separate public drinking (with which there is nothing inherently wrong) from public rowdiness, which is not cool regardless of whether alcohol is involved.

We need to separate public drinking (with which there is nothing inherently wrong) from public rowdiness, which is not cool regardless of whether alcohol is involved.

Agreed. These kinds of prohibition laws also invite discriminatory discretionary application.

They are never going to stop people from drinking in the park. Unless the police start searching everyone's water bottle or take out cup. It's a complete waste of time and money.

I disagree. IMHO, all alcohol drinkers in those public parks should be ticketed.

Why? (and please don't say that it's because it's "against the law"...I'd like to know why you think that drinking in parks is inherently a bad thing)

"Oh my god, he's drinking a beer, he's going to be unruly!" So many families think because they have kids, they can basically dictate what people do in public spaces. The self-entitlement really irks me. It's not going to stop drinking in the park, and I hope it actually increases. So sick of self-entitled families.

I remember one time a few years ago, a kid tried to take my seat on a roller coaster, I tell the kid "my seat", the attendant confirms it. The father had the nerve to tell me "He's just a kid". Me "politely" "Good for him" His stare could have killed someone.

Why? (and please don't say that it's because it's "against the law"...I'd like to know why you think that drinking in parks is inherently a bad thing)

If you don't like the law then change it. Ignoring it doesn't make it go away, nor mean you are in the right, no matter how much you disagree with it.
And if you aren't smart enough to conceal your public drinking, aka breaking the law, then you deserve a ticket.

"Oh my god, he's drinking a beer, he's going to be unruly!" So many families think because they have kids, they can basically dictate what people do in public spaces. The self-entitlement really irks me. It's not going to stop drinking in the park, and I hope it actually increases. So sick of self-entitled families.
So sick of self-entitled booze drinkers.

It's a public place. Go and drink your alcohol or smoke your cigarettes elsewhere.

Yeah, it true that some drinkers can be quite benign, but unfortunately, it's quite often that they aren't. Face it, a LOT of young adults or teens or even more "mature" adults go to the beach or park with their 6-packs... and make everyone else uncomfortable. Sorry if they give park/beach drinkers a bad reputation, but until they're gone, I say ban all the drinkers. Oh wait, they've done that already. So, let's enforce it.

P.S. I'd be more than willing to call the police to get drinkers out of my local park.

I remember one time a few years ago, a kid tried to take my seat on a roller coaster, I tell the kid "my seat", the attendant confirms it. The father had the nerve to tell me "He's just a kid". Me "politely" "Good for him" His stare could have killed someone.
Not sure what that has to do with anything.

It's illegal to smoke in parks now? Or is this another NIMBY pipe dream?
Yes, it's illegal to smoke in a lot of parks and beaches in Ontario now.

eg. http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/public-health/healthy-living/smoke-free-regulations

The City of Ottawa has adopted amendments to its by-laws to provide for more smoke-free spaces.

The following spaces are now smoke free:

All outdoor areas on municipal properties including parks, playgrounds, beaches, sports fields, and outdoor areas around City facilities
ByWard and Parkdale Market stands
Outdoor restaurant, bar, and food premise patios

The new smoke-free regulations apply 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Back