News   Jul 12, 2024
 937     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 830     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 336     0 

VIA Rail

What would be needed to start an overnight train? It would make air-travel-free weekend trips a possibility...
Does anyone really want to spend 12+ hours on a train when you could fly in 2 hours? There's no market for this.

The entirety of the length of the Empire corridor from NYC to Niagara Falls, NY is 742km. Niagara Falls, ON to Toronto Union is 132km. That's under 900km and at hypothetical HSR speeds would be competitive with air travel.

If New York were to do that, it seems that it would be worthwhile to do that on our side.
3 hours by train vs 45 min by air? You'd still need to go through customs.

3 hours by train vs 45 min by air? You'd still need to go through customs.
As a zoomer, I care about my carbon footprint-- many others in my generation would also prefer to take the train if it's a reasonable option (i.e. not 12 hours+).

What would be needed to start an overnight train?

Cooperation from the Americans. The service would pretty much have to be run by Amtrak. The Americans probably wouldn't allow VIA to run something like this. There's also the customs and border security issues too if the service is actually continuous across the border.

It would make air-travel-free weekend trips a possibility...

It would. But in a country where flying is cheap, what's the market for this? You could easily drive/bus to Buffalo and get a cheap flight to NYC.

The entirety of the length of the Empire corridor from NYC to Niagara Falls, NY is 742km. Niagara Falls, ON to Toronto Union is 132km. That's under 900km and at hypothetical HSR speeds would be competitive with air travel.

Sure. But you have to convince the Americans to build a high speed rail corridor from New York to Buffalo or Niagara Falls. And then we'd have to build one from Toronto to Niagara Falls or Fort Erie. This in a country that has been talking about building HSR between Toronto and Montreal for half a century.

As a zoomer, I care about my carbon footprint-- many others in my generation would also prefer to take the train if it's a reasonable option (i.e. not 12 hours+).

So would the rest of us. But for some reason, it's been a massive struggle to get support for investment in intercity train service in Canada. It's even worse in the US.

It would also make sense if the Visa ticket included your TTC ride. This is done in Japan where if you ride the bullet train, the local train fare is included. Or your GO train ticket within one zone. For example get off at Oshawa and your ticket to Pickering is included.

That would help promote people to use transit to the last mile.

Agreed on this. There's work VIA could do on integration. They do offer some combined GO fares. But some of this is also on the other agencies like Metrolinx and the TTC. And gets even more challenging as they move to fare cards, etc. I don't think it's the most pressing priority. Most riders will be able to figure transit out on arrival. But as those agencies move to open payment systems, VIA could be better positioned to do that kind of integration.

It would be better if eastbound trains started at Aldershot, and Westbound trains started at Oshawa. That way you don't have to drive from Oshawa to Union to catch the 6:30am train.

I keep saying that Union is not a natural terminus for HFR. It should be Pearson as a minimum. And we'll probably see westward expansion in due course.

Taxi, TTC, GO (buses arrive starting at 5 AM, and trains at 6:10 pre-covid).Also, how is it impossible - the first TTC subway train arrives at 5:54 AM - and personally I find the night bus service faster than the subway at that time.

Seems easier than catching a 6:30 AM flight - last time I tried that, it was too early for the UP express. And parking is even more expensive at the airport.

Thank you. I've taken some early flights out of Pearson. Getting there by transit is ridiculously difficult. Impractical enough to be basically impossible. Anybody leaving that early is usually going by taxi, uber, being dropped off or driving themselves. Where HFR would help in this regard is that anybody east of Union doesn't have to haul it to Union for 0630. They just meet the train at Eglinton or whatever other GTA East station they do build.

There's a lot of hypotheticals. You can email GO to find out. But I would bet money that GO doesn't consult VIA at all on parking development. Every single one of their massive parking garages has been built because of increased GO traffic. Nothing at all to do with VIA. Heck, GO specifically prohibits parking beyond 2 days at their stations. And that includes the ones with VIA service. So no, they don't really care about what VIA thinks about parking.

How much do you think it costs to park near Union or Gare Centrale for a week?

And it does have to do with travel. It's easier to get to most VIA stations with transit, cabs, etc. Remember, city centre convenience is the selling point.
Moved my response over to the other thread.

But again, parking really isn't something all that relevant to VIA. And it's even less relevant to the HFR proposal meant to connect the major metros.

So, people are able to show you other countries have a national parking standard, and you want to ignore it? It is relevant, even if you choose not to pay attention to it.

So, people are able to show you other countries have a national parking standard, and you want to ignore it? It is relevant, even if you choose not to pay attention to it.

The national parking standard mentioned has to do with parking at housing and businesses. And exactly zero to do with parking at rail stations. In fact, if we're going to use foreign precedent, they'd probably have less parking than we would build at a comparable station.

If you read my subsequent posts, I've said that VIA should build parking structures at stations that have traffic to support it. But there has to be the ridership to support this and it can't be the primary last mile solution or they will never have the traffic to actually make HFR successful.

PS: Even in the city centers, we should not limit our thinking to a single customer demographic. There will be plenty of travellers whose demographic is urban dweller, non-auto-owning, transit-reliant, trips are urban to urban, etc. But VIa can build a broader baser beyond that demographic.
Businesss travellers for instance may be headed for industrial parks in the burbs. Public transit may be too slow or infrequent. And many will not want to start or end their trips downtown.

- Paul

Agreed. But there's a real limit to what VIA can do and what can be tossed into the HFR budget envelope. Parking isn't exactly cheap. A while back, @ShonTron wrote a great piece on the cost of all that "free" GO parking. Most notable was the cost of building all these parking structures. If VIA has to start building massive parking structures at $40 000/spot, at every HFR station, the price tag of the whole project is going to go up pretty quickly. This is not all that dissimilar to the dilemma faced by the GTAA which is now pushing to have the modal share of transit at Pearson increase because they don't want to have to build quarter billion dollar parking garages.

The logical solution is to leave the downtown stations at Union and Gare Centrale as they are, and have them focus on transit, taxis and rideshare for last mile. But build up the suburban stations (and Ottawa) with garages and car rental counters. Don't think the Lakeshore centres could support auto rentals, but several of them may end up with large lots or even parking structures, as they largely focus on lots of daytripping and commuting. The real challenge will be convincing local authorities to build a transit node at some of these stations (Kingston and Belleville particularly come to mind for me).

The CIB expanded the exploration of the Calgary-Banff business case to include an international airport link. Would be interesting to see if they are that adventorous for HFR!

Well, one train a day is a much more higher frequency than now....

The CIB expanded the exploration of the Calgary-Banff business case to include an international airport link. Would be interesting to see if they are that adventorous for HFR!
I hope they consider allowing for possible future extension to Edmonton in any plans.

Back