News   Apr 16, 2024
 650     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.5K     0 

Transit Too Slow!!!!!

EnviroTO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Metrolinx really needs to get their act together. At the speed of the systems they are proposing how are we supposed to get to Alpha Centauri which is 4.37 light years away. That will be a ridiculous commute on a 30km/h LRT. Voyaguer 1 going 17km/s is a bit better but still... at that rate my morning commute will still take a brutal 77,100 years. It could be worse though... I don't know how those people living near Gamma Leporis do it.

I really think were going to need a head smasher to get things done.

However if we just ram things through, would it be for the best???

Metrolinx really needs to get their act together. At the speed of the systems they are proposing how are we supposed to get to Alpha Centauri which is 4.37 light years away. That will be a ridiculous commute on a 30km/h LRT. Voyaguer 1 going 17km/s is a bit better but still... at that rate my morning commute will still take a brutal 77,100 years. It could be worse though... I don't know how those people living near Gamma Leporis do it.

You are aware that cars travel at roughly the same speed right? Just because the speed limit says 50, 60, 80, or 100, doesn't mean that's the speed they actually go at. There's things called congestion and traffic signals.

The speed limit on the 401 says "100", but at 5 PM on a Friday, it never is. Also, you have to find a parking space, another time waster. And then the owner of the parking space has to pay taxes, maintenance, etc. on that parking space (which is usually larger than an office cubicle). Then you come back, and you find your vehicle is vandalized, more time wasted and expense. Then you have to stop for gasoline, more time and expense wasted. Then you have to maintain your vehicle, more time and expense wasted. And so on and so on.
At least with transit, all that is handled by someone else, so time is saved. And you get exercise, which you don't get sitting. Another expense saved, you don't need a treadmill as much.

EnviroTO:

That's why you don't travel between the stars :D

All the joking aside - it is exactly why long distance travel should be done via commuter/regional rail. Subways and TC is probably best suited for short/medium distance - and perhaps better yet as feeder service to increase the accessbility of commuter rail (plus serving the city building role).

AoD

PS: It's Voyager - not Voyageur.

Last edited:
it'd be much quicker if you took this voyager.

z131918048.jpg

Back