News   Apr 24, 2024
 48     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 402     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 435     0 

Transit Ridership Statistics & Tracking

Brampton Transit hit over 31 million riders last year. 14% growth.
Or 51% from 2014.

Screenshot below for posterity sake (I think UrbanToronto's file/image upload system will have greater longevity than any municipal website):

1547762365698.png

The problem with ancedotal evidence is it's ancedotal. I've seen GO inspectors on trains, but not once within a station of Union - and never on a bus. And I've certainly been fare-inspected on TTC streetcars on 504 and 506 (where I spend most of my time) mid-route, in rush-hour, and midday. (never in the evening I'll note). I've never seen bad behaviour from either TTC or GO inspectors - even when they hauled me off a streetcar because I had no POP ... okay, he was a bit grumpy half-way through, when I finally found my Metropass hidden in my wallet :) (I thought my wife must have had it, so had given up searching the first time) ... but he was professional about it. I'm sure some have had bad experiences ...
Well, you don't need inspectors on buses, you pay the driver, he checks your payment. On the train, it's POP. I ride the GO Kitchener line quite often but I've never seen a transit officer on the train.

I think this came up earlier but when was the last time and where that GO published train line by train line ridership stats?

I never see fare inspectors in St. Clair West station (and I go there quite frequently).

From link:

A total of 271 new operational positions are requested to accommodate 2019 service initiatives, 70 of which will be involved in transit inspection and enforcement.

"To protect passenger revenue, a Revenue Protection Initiative is included in the budget to support fare inspection," reads the report.

"Currently fare inspections are focused on proof-of-payment streetcar routes," it continues. "With automated fare collection now occurring across all modes, TTC will review and strengthen its inspection activities using a risk based approach to provide a consistent and more visible deterrent to fare evasion."

DxtHuLEUcAENCfH.jpg

From link.

Chart from the TTC’s operating budget presentation makes a good case for TTC ridership not actually falling over the last few years. Instead, it looks the switch to Presto revealed that the TTC’s old method for measuring ridership (“revenue ridership”) was bad.

Where are you getting the factor of 2? I think this is great news - that the TTC's ridership is not falling as everyone thought.

So what's the actual ridership number then? has the ttc been under counting ridership by almost a factor of 2?

With "boardings", or unlinked trips, each transfer a rider makes is counted as a new trip. With "revenue ridership", or linked trips, the transfers are not counted as new trips. Boardings is how ridership is counted in the US while revenue ridership is how it is counted in Canada. If the TTC is getting 1 billion boardings or unlinked trips per year, then the amount of revenue riders or linked trips is probably around 600 million.

With "boardings", or unlinked trips, each transfer a rider makes is counted as a new trip. With "revenue ridership", or linked trips, the transfers are not counted as new trips. Boardings is how ridership is counted in the US while revenue ridership is how it is counted in Canada. If the TTC is getting 1 billion boardings or unlinked trips per year, then the amount of revenue riders or linked trips is probably around 600 million.
I see, Thank you for the information. I don't think i've seen the ridership data split like that for US based systems so I got confused as to what metric TTC was counting their official ridership as

Where are you getting the factor of 2? I think this is great news - that the TTC's ridership is not falling as everyone thought.
I thought that all this time TTC had been using the number of boardings for their ridership numbers and figured "revenue ridership" was their old way of counting ridership via metropasses

Boom! That's what we've been waiting for.

I'll let others read into it further, but there are lots of interesting insights available here.

e.g. Oakville's 5.4k daily riders translates to roughly 2.79% of Oakville's population boarding GO every day. The three Burlington stations translate to 4.69%.

Wow ... no wonder they've been hiding this. West Harbour has 58 riders a day, compared to 1,400 a day at Hamilton GO Train. Don't they both get the same number of trains per day?

I'm not sure what the numbers represent. Arrivals? Departures? Combined?

I'm not sure how they add up either. If you add up the 7 lines, it comes to 23.0 million riders with 2.8 million for UP express (including Union). And then there seems to be 18.4 million for Union Station GO trains. That totals to 41.4 million (44.2 including UP Express). But it also says total Go Train ridership is 38.8 million and total of everything is 52.5 million (GO Trains, GO Buses, and UP Express). That implies GO Buses are 10.9 million. But back in June they said there were 68.5 million boardings a year. Something isn't adding up.

Interesting to see that Danforth ridership, which many have complained is very unused, is higher than Kitchener, Guelph, Acton, and Georgetown combined!

1548897895455.png

Re-posting for new page. Link: https://metrolinx.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/click-right-here-for-the-ridership-map.pdf

Wow ... no wonder they've been hiding this. West Harbour has 58 riders a day, compared to 1,400 a day at Hamilton GO Train. Don't they both get the same number of trains per day?

I'm not sure what the numbers represent. Arrivals? Departures? Combined?

I'm not sure how they add up either. If you add up the 7 lines, it comes to 23.0 million riders with 2.8 million for UP express (including Union). And then there seems to be 18.4 million for Union Station GO trains. That totals to 41.4 million (44.2 including UP Express). But it also says total Go Train ridership is 38.8 million and total of everything is 52.5 million (GO Trains, GO Buses, and UP Express). That implies GO Buses are 10.9 million. But back in June they said there were 68.5 million boardings a year. Something isn't adding up.

Interesting to see that Danforth ridership, which many have complained is very unused, is higher than Kitchener, Guelph, Acton, and Georgetown combined!
^Also those circles to represent changes in ridership are so misleading, lol.

Acton = mega big circle = 19k total riders
Georgetown = tiny circle = 103k total riders

Plus, Cooksville has a mega big circle because it's ridership has changed significantly in the negative (presumably due to station construction). If you weren't paying attention, you would think it was growing quickly.

Last edited:

Back