News   May 09, 2024
 497     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 462     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 760     1 

Transit Fantasy Maps

hey yall, I've been working on this map for a while now, I've taken heavy inspiration from Toronto Board of trade proposal, the many forum contributors, and also Paris RER, new york subway and more. I hope you all like it <3
View attachment 487038
PDF version here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15mTGpDZfyqHLyjRAjCSv_uhhAMz3n-u-/view?usp=sharing
Any connection for west Enders seeking midtown connections. I am thinking line S after Erin Mills crossing with line L somewhere around Erin Mills? I think you could also do so from Campelville and change trains at Dixie.

Great work.

That map isn't as far fetched as it may seem IF GO can take advantage of tram-trains or small battery/hydrogen EMUs.

Love the map and the concept. I especially like how it covers pretty so much of Southern Ontario and is so comprehensive with the coverage.

1 criticism I have is that there are alot of services and it is hard to tell instinctively a REX from a regional service and that on the map, it is hard to tell at a glance which lines go where. I think that you can fix/ mitigate this by reducing the number of unique letters for services that run on the same lines but with different stopping patterns. Taking inspiration from the Parisian suburban system, you could group services that run on the same line and number them to indicate stopping pattern.

A,B => A1, A2
C,D => C1, C2
E,F,G,H => E1, E2, E3, E4
L,M => M1, M2
S,U => S1, S2

This naming system would also allow you to group the REX services with early letters and Regional services with late letters to more easily distinguish between REX and Regional services, like how in Paris, the RER services that run through downtown Paris are A,B,C,D,E and the suburban services that terminate earlier are M,N,O,P, Q,R,S etc. It would also reduce visual clutter on the map by lowering the number of distinct colors.

You don't have to agree with my take but would love to hear your thoughts.
I like that idea of simplifying it, I'd definitely keep that in mind when I revise it!

I like it but how would I go Barrie -> Collingwood or vice versa
You would just get on the
ICX I-01-01.png
regional train at Allendale Waterfront station

Any connection for west Enders seeking midtown connections. I am thinking line S after Erin Mills crossing with line L somewhere around Erin Mills? I think you could also do so from Campelville and change trains at Dixie.

Great work.
My reasoning is because the L mostly uses the existing right of way, and routing via erin mills would be difficult to construct, I decided that riders would have to change at Mississauga Centre or take transit to a different station.

As for Campelville, It is a very small town and would not justify full REX service in my opinion.

Thanks!

I like that idea of simplifying it, I'd definitely keep that in mind when I revise it!

You would just get on the View attachment 488079 regional train at Allendale Waterfront station

maybe try the German speaking world's naming conventions like S1, RE1, RB etc... or whatever the English equivalent would be.

S = suburban
RE, REX, or RX = regional express
R or RR = regional rail

When Toronto bid for the 2008 Olympics a GO Transit line that was meant to shuttle people between Union and the Olympic Plaza was proposed, obviously this didn’t happen along with the entire Olympics since Toronto lost the bid.
1152E0F7-BB89-4B7A-AF0E-EE522B469C85.jpeg

In 2012 a document from Metrolinx was released that proposed multiple solutions for the growing capacity issues at Union Station. Here are 4 of the most interesting proposals from that document: View attachment 490196View attachment 490197View attachment 490198View attachment 490199
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...5289852395551/Union_Station_2031_Study_EN.pdf

love these maps.

there was also a proposal to put the Lakeshore tunnel under the Union Station Rail Corridor with a new station just east of Union at Yonge.

nice work.

In 2012 a document from Metrolinx was released that proposed multiple solutions for the growing capacity issues at Union Station. Here are 4 of the most interesting proposals from that document: View attachment 490196View attachment 490197View attachment 490198View attachment 490199
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...5289852395551/Union_Station_2031_Study_EN.pdf
Very interesting, though I think that optimisation of Union + new stations east and west of Union is the best route going forward. I do hope that reactivating the Midtown Line is kept as a long-term plan at Metrolinx.

Makes sense to place that on the now fully abandoned Kingston Road and Yonge interurbans, but the Lakeshore streetcar (east of the etobcioke creek) is still very much in service as a branch of the queen streetcar.
Yes, but it’s not an interurban anymore. Semantics are finicky.

Some recent maps (SPV's 2008 atlas) of former and existing lines around Toronto for fantasizing over
View attachment 490265
View attachment 490266
View attachment 490267
Thanks for sharing, this is great. Seeing as it was already mentioned in the GO service thread however, I think we really need to know what happened in Lindsay…

Back