News   Jul 15, 2024
 306     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 530     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 633     1 

Transit Fantasy Maps

If we had continuous subway expansion, it would obviate the need for overbuilt terminal stations.
So basically your proposing extending the Yonge and Jane subways north of 7.

So here's my question ... when the Jane subway hits King Road ... do the cows pay adult fare, or do they get a concession?

^^ Horses :p And I don't think there'd be a horse old enough to qualify for adult fare :D

I think that VCC is a logical terminus for the Spadina Line. I wouldn't want it to be extended any more. Tbh, the Jane LRT would take care of the segment north of it pretty well (yes, I support the Jane LRT now!)

Yonge, on the other hand, I can't be sure now, but it might make sense 30 years from now to extend Yonge all the way through Richmond Hill. There, it would be totally a local line, bringing people through Richmond Hill, and getting richmond hill(ers?) to the Langstaff Gateway. LRT might be able to do this, but development along Yonge might make a 2 concession extension have some merit.

Steeles is going to be $150 million, and they're complaining about how much it costs to build subway... Well there's yer problem!

It'll be a lot more than $150M. It's $195M in 2008 dollars and that's not even counting the millions in property acquisitions required to build 3(!) access ramps in the middle of the road. It'll end up being $300M, anyway. They're *wasting* about $150M on Steeles.

:eek:

A subway station shouldn't even be a hundred million dollars. If Steeles ends up being $300 million... ohhh boy. At that point, will York Region and York Region taxpayers be paying for the extension? :eek: Or will it be kind of a split between Toronto and York?

The overbuilt stations on Sheppard, the Spadina Extension and the Yonge extension are the reason we are stuck with Transfer City.

:eek:

A subway station shouldn't even be a hundred million dollars. If Steeles ends up being $300 million... ohhh boy.
While I agree that Steeles seems a bit on the expensive side, given it's not a terminal, one shouldn't underestimate the costs of such things. The TTC Union Station second platform and renovation is almost $140-million. And it's hardly going to be palatial!

^^ Horses :p And I don't think there'd be a horse old enough to qualify for adult fare :D

I think that VCC is a logical terminus for the Spadina Line. I wouldn't want it to be extended any more. Tbh, the Jane LRT would take care of the segment north of it pretty well (yes, I support the Jane LRT now!)

What is along Jane north of VCC that warrants an LRT?

Wonderland and Vaughn Mills! :D

Just saying that a LRT would be able to provide good enough service for any conceivable development north of Highway 7.

So basically your proposing extending the Yonge and Jane subways north of 7.

So here's my question ... when the Jane subway hits King Road ... do the cows pay adult fare, or do they get a concession?

Adult fare, clearly. Otherwise where would the revenue come from?

Also @ Doady,

In addition to Wonderland and Vaughan Mills there is a 5 tower ~20-30 storey condo complex being built at the north west corner of Jane and Rutherford.

Last edited:
Oh, so there is something happening! I just thought those towers were hotels or something. Walking distance from Vaughn Mills and Wonderland? I'd stay there!

If more of those developments get started, extending the Jane LRT up to Major Mac might make some sense, but I really don't see anything in the foreseeable future for extending Spadina further.

Adult fare, clearly. Otherwise where would the revenue come from?

Also @ Doady,

In addition to Wonderland and Vaughan Mills there is a 5 tower ~20-30 storey condo complex being built at the north west corner of Jane and Rutherford.

Yes there is so much along Jane in Vaughan. What is the bus ridership in the corridor compared to other 905 corridors?

Extending the Jane LRT up to Major Mac and Wonderland might actually somewhat make sense. Also, there are fairly decently sized swaths of land directly beside Jane St, so adjacent as opposed to centre ROW may be an option.

The line may not be profitable right away, but I'm sure there are quite a few people who would prefer a rapid transit option to get to Wonderland as opposed to driving. Some of the loss in speed would even be made up for by the fact that it takes 10 minutes after you park to actually reach the front gate (the sea of parking takes a while to cross). Directly beside the 400 would also make a logical spot for a park-n-ride.

The best part is, this line would be completely inside Vaughan, so funding would be separate from Transit City (ie not of the City of Toronto's bill, only the TTC would be contracted out for operation).

I think putting the Jane LRT to Major Mac would work. Not right now, but as a future extension once VCC gets built. Something like Wonderland is a pretty major trip generator, but it's seasonal, so ridership based off that might even be subway-level, but it's only for like half the year. Not to mention there's already the Wonderland Go bus that speeds across the 401 and 400 much faster than a Subway+LRT combination would, maybe even faster than a subway with reasonable stop spacing would. And not once for me has the bus been over 5 minutes late off the 20 minute Yorkdale-Wonderland trip. Vaughn Mills Mall isn't a bad trip generator though. Maybe not as much peak demand as Wonderland, but it's more local and has year-round demand.

The two best things I can see about extending Jane to Major Mac is that it'll cut right through VCC, and you could probably get 3 or 4 stops in. From there, there's a load of potential for redevelopment along Jane St, or at least some densification and redevelopment in the business parks north of 7. Not that I can imagine densification of those office parks, but maybe VCC can change my mind.

Oh, so there is something happening! I just thought those towers were hotels or something. Walking distance from Vaughn Mills and Wonderland? I'd stay there!

If more of those developments get started, extending the Jane LRT up to Major Mac might make some sense, but I really don't see anything in the foreseeable future for extending Spadina further.

There's also the new Vaughan Civic Hospital that will be built on the North West corner of Jane and Major Mackenzie.

Yes there is so much along Jane in Vaughan. What is the bus ridership in the corridor compared to other 905 corridors?

I think you're getting the present and future tenses mixed up.

The 5 x 20-30 storey complex, Vaughan Civic Hospital, and potential Jane LRT are in the future.

Bus ridership is in the present.

Back