News   Jul 12, 2024
 962     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 840     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 342     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

I wouldn't read too much into the render. The design isn't anywhere close to being finalized.

I'm hoping that they will be similar to the Viva Rapidways. Those stations are amazing.

viva_rapidway_valleymede_station_lores-680x408.jpg

I don't expect Eglinton stops to be that wide because of greater space constraints.

I wouldn't read too much into the render. The design isn't anywhere close to being finalized.

I'm hoping that they will be similar to the Viva Rapidways. Those stations are amazing.

I don't expect Eglinton stops to be that wide because of greater space constraints.

Agreed, we have no idea how it will look, but we do know they won't have staff, fare gates, or elevators/escalators, which is a good thing with respect to cost. The Viva station there is as elaborate as it will possibly be.

I like how the Viva BRT looks but I wonder if it would look better if they painted the bus lanes blue or something to further differentiate them from the rest of the street.

Mississauga? I never liked the loop or branch to MCC, but that is debatable. The DRL I never noticed. Toronto needs another strong north-south transit corridor, and I don't think that Richmond Hill GO line is it. So it does seem lack a major lack of north-south local transit on that map compared to east-west, which is strange considering Toronto is much longer east/westerly... I think with that imbalance, Yonge will continue to be overcrowded, maybe even more so. Eglinton is basically subway (why bother with such a small on-street section), that's one of many new pressures on Yonge. I don't want to nickpick further, because the idea of a regional/integrated system is the important thing.

I think that GO REX along the Richmond Hill corridor, especially if it assumes a DRL alignment south of Lawrence, would be a very effective reliever of the Yonge line. In fact, I had even considered leaving the Yonge line's terminus at Finch, and running the BRT down to it. Personally, I think a GO REX RH Line as I've depicted it will make the Yonge Line extension even more of an overkill than the Spadina extension is.

As for the Eglinton on-street section, I just followed what the current plan is, same as the stops on the Finch West and Sheppard East LRTs (although they've been combined into a single line).

This is not about your map specifically, just about TTC maps in general, but one thing I have to say is about the branding. I think with LRT and legacy streetcar, the branding is important. "LRT" works in other cities, but in Toronto it is unacceptable. Toronto must find the proper branding for its modern light rail, or rebrand it's legacy light rail. What exactly is the difference between St-Clair "streetcar" and Hurontario "LRT"? Can you seperate the two? Once the new LRVs finish testing and finally come into service, the distinction will be even more blurred.

I agree. On an earlier version of the map, I had actually included the St. Clair and Spadina lines as an LRT, and showed it on the map. However, I felt it looked too cluttered.

I think the line for LRT vs streetcar, in my opinion, should be the ability to expand capacity by running at least paired vehicles. If the operating environment or stations can't handle paired vehicles, it shouldn't be classified as an LRT.

Now I know I show the Harbourfront Streetcar line as an LRT, but what I'm hoping is that when the line is extended west into South Etobicoke, that the central section will be upgraded to widen the stop spacing (you'll notice that several stops currently on the line are missing on the map), with better stations. Upgrading Spadina to this standard would be nearly impossible due to block width (unless you want to close off streets), but St. Clair theoretically could be, although I doubt the capacity would ever really be needed.

I agree with the point others have made about stations too. If the TTC/Metrolinx really want to differentiate between dedicated ROW streetcars and Rapid Transit LRTs, then station design will play a big part in that. Make them more "station" and less "bus shelter". Most of the current streetcar stops on dedicated ROWs are really just glorified bus shelters. The new VIVA stations are a good model to work from.

Last edited:
I think that GO REX along the Richmond Hill corridor, especially if it assumes a DRL alignment south of Lawrence, would be a very effective reliever of the Yonge line. In fact, I had even considered leaving the Yonge line's terminus at Finch, and running the BRT down to it. Personally, I think a GO REX RH Line as I've depicted it will make the Yonge Line extension even more of an overkill than the Spadina extension is.

I really do agree here. Personally I've had a few debates about the necessity of doubling-up GO REX and TTC subway service to Richmond Hill, and frankly, although the planned density (with which I am pleased) along Yonge St. in RH is great and could use as much rapid transit as it can get, we have to face it that extending the subway that far north is overkill. If people living in RH are working in York Region, they can take Viva BRT; if North York, they can take a Yonge North BRT to Finch Station (although I could support a short Yonge extension to Steeles even) and the subway to the Sheppard-Yonge area; and if downtown Toronto, then GO REX will complete that trip far faster and more comfortably than an overcrowded Yonge Line, even if a DRL is built, ever could.

I've noticed an interesting sentiment on this board during my time here. This sentiment also, in general, seems to be echoed by many people of all stripes around the GTA also. I find that a lot of posters seem to adore the idea of subway extensions away from the core, and then ridicule them as expensive wastes (which they are) once they build momentum towards truly being built. I was a long-time reader of this board before joining, and I saw that sort of rose-coloured-glasses behaviour with the Line 2 extension to STC, and the Line 1 Spadina extension, and now we're seeing it with Line 1 to RHC.

This is just blindness. Toronto has a sickness of being unable to imagine anything but its current inefficient subway network as a mode of transport, and we risk spreading that entitled sentiment ("we DESERVE more subway") to the burgeoning York Region by poking Line 1 further and further out of the TTC's mandate area anyhow.

I really do agree here. Personally I've had a few debates about the necessity of doubling-up GO REX and TTC subway service to Richmond Hill, and frankly, although the planned density (with which I am pleased) along Yonge St. in RH is great and could use as much rapid transit as it can get, we have to face it that extending the subway that far north is overkill. If people living in RH are working in York Region, they can take Viva BRT; if North York, they can take a Yonge North BRT to Finch Station (although I could support a short Yonge extension to Steeles even) and the subway to the Sheppard-Yonge area; and if downtown Toronto, then GO REX will complete that trip far faster and more comfortably than an overcrowded Yonge Line, even if a DRL is built, ever could.

I've had that same experience. A while ago I actually did a spit-ball cost estimate on how much a GO REX line to RHC would cost. When I worked it out, I was surprised to see that the cost of building it from Eglinton & Don Mills to north of Lawrence in a tunnel, and then assuming the RH GO ROW from there to RHC is pretty much on par with the cost of the subway extension from Finch to RHC.

Given that the cost is roughly equal, then questions then become:

1) How many passengers will each option carry? I think the GO REX option wins there. It siphons off the majority of the potential subway riders, and usurps all of the existing GO riders. The number of GO riders that the subway extension would siphon off is likely a much smaller number.

2) Which option relieves Yonge better? Well, without the DRL, the subway option makes things even worse. Even with the DRL, the solution is "make the Yonge line for YR riders, and the DRL for Toronto riders". With the GO REX option, not only do you relieve the Yonge line by diverting YR riders off the line before they even get there, you give Toronto riders the same alternative route that the DRL would, because the GO REX option assumes the DRL alignment south of Eglinton (and under my plan has one branch via the DRL tunnel, one branch into Union).

3) Which option is faster? For pretty much everyone involved, the GO REX option is faster, especially those who are headed downtown. If you're headed to NYCC, the Yonge BRT can be extended south of RHC to Finch. If you're coming from north of RHC along Yonge, you've actually eliminated a transfer.

So you tell me which option is really the better option, and not just the most obvious option.

I've noticed an interesting sentiment on this board during my time here. This sentiment also, in general, seems to be echoed by many people of all stripes around the GTA also. I find that a lot of posters seem to adore the idea of subway extensions away from the core, and then ridicule them as expensive wastes (which they are) once they build momentum towards truly being built. I was a long-time reader of this board before joining, and I saw that sort of rose-coloured-glasses behaviour with the Line 2 extension to STC, and the Line 1 Spadina extension, and now we're seeing it with Line 1 to RHC.

This is just blindness. Toronto has a sickness of being unable to imagine anything but its current inefficient subway network as a mode of transport, and we risk spreading that entitled sentiment ("we DESERVE more subway") to the burgeoning York Region by poking Line 1 further and further out of the TTC's mandate area anyhow.

I agree completely. In the case of the Yonge extension specifically, I think people looked at the map and went "Yeah! That yellow line should be extended further north", without actually examining if that was the best option to solve the problem it was trying to solve. The most obvious option isn't always the best one.

I will admit, I myself have flip-flopped on the subway to STC. Because it's right on the borderline, so much of whether or not it's warranted is dependent on other network factors. For example, if the LRT along Eglinton East is elevated, it makes sense to go with the SLRT option and interline it with Eglinton. If the ECLRT maintains it's current setup, the subway option makes more sense.

I agree completely. In the case of the Yonge extension specifically, I think people looked at the map and went "Yeah! That yellow line should be extended further north", without actually examining if that was the best option to solve the problem it was trying to solve. The most obvious option isn't always the best one.

I think that's what 90% of people do, they look at the map and draw lines that look good or obvious.

I will admit, I myself have flip-flopped on the subway to STC. Because it's right on the borderline, so much of whether or not it's warranted is dependent on other network factors. For example, if the LRT along Eglinton East is elevated, it makes sense to go with the SLRT option and interline it with Eglinton. If the ECLRT maintains it's current setup, the subway option makes more sense.

I also feel that either way is fine. I do think Scarborough should get better transit coverage in general.

I think that's what 90% of people do, they look at the map and draw lines that look good or obvious.

It's much harder to play "connect the dots" when what is in this case the better option is a) a line that doesn't exist yet, and b) is often proposed using a different technology than what would be required to really make it work.

If the Bloor-Danforth Subway had been extended to Sheppard or Finch & McCowan instead of the SRT being built, I really think we'd be seeing the same kind of "oh that looks like a good extension" when it comes to bringing RT service to Downtown Markham. I think it would have followed a similar justification as the Spadina extension. But because the line isn't there, it's a lot harder for people to connect those dots.

Last edited:
Toronto's Newest Tourist Trap: The Island Gondola!

szjk4dk.png

Despite the idea being about as pie-in-the-sky as the one in London, there actually would be some transportation value to an aerial tramway connecting Union Station to the island airport, while also providing one of the best views of the city and waterfront.

Crackpot idea?

Despite the idea being about as pie-in-the-sky as the one in London, there actually would be some transportation value to an aerial tramway connecting Union Station to the island airport, while also providing one of the best views of the city and waterfront.

Crackpot idea?

I've proposed something similar in the past, although I extended it to the Islands to act as a replacement for the ferries. But as TheTigerMaster said, I think it would need a pretty substantial private sector pitch-in, because it's not a transit priority for the City. Those ferries are getting pretty old though, and they may need a replacement option soon.

Crackpot idea?

That would be so fun! Have it go through the island and back from the other side to the port lands too.

It should also go through the skyscrapers in the financial district very high up so you get amazing views, and have a stop at the top of the CN tower :)

That would be so fun! Have it go through the island and back from the other side to the port lands too.

It should also go through the skyscrapers in the financial district very high up so you get amazing views, and have a stop at the top of the CN tower :)

Zip line anyone?

A few months ago I was zip lining through a forest. Each time I got off one line to zip on the next I felt like I dodged death. 300 feet up in the air and if that cable broke I'd be gone ;)

Anyways I think the TTC should offer zip line service from the top of the CN Tower to the islands.

Back