News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

Love the blue, hate the tacked-on staircase. Waaay clunky.

My only major criticism of the renovation, which I otherwise kinda like (even though I expected not to - curiously the reverse of what happened with the ROM), is that the AGO doesn't read as a whole building from the outside - it's like a jumbled collage of different ideas.

Though the blue box strangely compliments Barton Myers' remaining lower Pomo box to its SW left...

Love the blue! The striking colour is a major feature of the design's impact, imo. It creates a distinctive visual landmark for a fairly low-rise building.

The blue looks... strange. I was convinced that it was some sort of protective coating which would be removed eventually.

With that in mind, I got a chuckle out of the exposed Celotex (non-blue) on the north-facing barnacle when I visited a week ago. (It's still a work in progress, remember.)

Love the blue, hate the tacked-on staircase. Waaay clunky.

It is a bit clunky. It could've used a continuous curve to make it more appealing.

arc107.jpg

arc108.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Must respectfully decline to join in critique

The external staircase is another example of combining aesthetics and practicality. It looks good as an external feature and does not detract from or break coherence of internal exhibit space thereby maximizing usable area, while also providing unique public views of Toronto.

While "true" circular staircases can look attractive from afar, they are really not all that comfortable for users. Risers can get very narrow on the inside of curve causing awkward passing by up and down users and a lot of people need to focus more on the next step than on the surroundings.

This staircase allows users to go down a fairly straight section and then turn more tightly on flat landings while all the while retaining magnificent views.

3145140999_903c442660.jpg

3145190709_2c94e001e7.jpg

3145965044_65c7cd688a.jpg

3145215073_7533d4d4bd.jpg

And then, of course there is the OMG space.

3135526246_9189f33239.jpg

More kudos to Gehry!!

Thanks for explaining the reasons for the staircase being less than perfectly circular! I loathed the old AGO as I found it dark and completely unattractive from the outside and the inside. This new space is a gargantuan improvement both in terms of gallery space, natural light, and the programming - allowing the art to sometimes "fight" each other in the space and creating some conflict and drama in a serene space. I'ts great that I now feel completely comfortable recommending it to visitors, or I can speak about it with pride when I'm abroad.

A chance to make a difference - maybe

It is a little hard to figure our where the balance of UT contributors would come out on the issue of photography in the AGO. My own personal view is that taking non-commercial photos in the gallery areas with a hand held camera and without a flash is perfectly fine. There are purists that want no photography of any type in the gallery areas.

AGO has actually shown some flexibility here. Starting out with a photography ban they have now shifted to a policy of allowing photos of iconic architectural elements. The reasons for prohibiting photos of galleries are, of course, bogus.

Should anyone wish to contribute to this debate in a way that may actually be noticed by the "deciders" then the following link will take you to the right place.

http://www.artmatters.ca/blog/index.php?/archives/231-Change-to-AGO-Photography-Policy.html

It is not as if folks aren't taking photos anyway. While TO residents can visit AGO anytime, for visitors it is not a bad thing to have a few photos that will serve as permanent reminders of a pleasant visit and allow for the regular reliving of what one saw and felt at a certain time and place.

3145867841_beab6ba52f_b.jpg

3145829365_fcb9d863c4_b.jpg

3145822165_1d6625cf18_b.jpg

Perhaps a little common sense is in order

..... they really don't enforce it.

Of course not. How can they?

Having an unenforcable policy that isn't enforced does raise the question of why have such a policy in the first place.

It might look better to have a reasonable policy that can be maintained, i.e. non-commercial photos with hand held cameras OK but no flash, no tripods, no VDO.

Along with the fiery Marchesa, Anthony van Dyck's Dedalus Warning Icarus has been one of my favourites ever since I was an art student. Icarus has such lovely pale, milky skin - and looks like a young Bruce Cockburn; I must admit I've always kinda had a thing for him. But you just know the silly boy is gonna ignore his Dad's advice and it'll end in tears - a beautiful corpse ... with maybe a light suntan?

I wish Bernini's Corpus wasn't parked quite so close to the Tintoretto. Christ Washing His Disciples' Feet needs enough breathing space to make the change-of-perspective thing work as you walk in front of it. If I recall, it used to be displayed on a south-facing wall all to itself, in a gallery at the north west corner of Walker Court, and worked beautifully there.

Also, must we see the weld hole, or whatever it is, where the Saviour's bum is? Perhaps Corpus would be better displayed against a wall?

Back