News   Jul 12, 2024
 792     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 717     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 304     0 

Train Spotting

This could go in one of the VIA threads, but I thought it might have more general interest so it’s here. I got a close up look at a new Siemens trainsets this week, and I was fascinated by the way the underfloor is designed…. It has a rack with holes in it, just like adjustable shelving…. And all the underfloor appliances are hung from this with pins that fit into the rack, almosst Ikea style.
The idea presumably is that anything needing heavy maintenance can be easily removed and replaced, and if modifications happen down the road, it’s easy to rearrange the “rack”.
Pretty clever compared to the bolting and welding that steam era equipment demands.

- Paul

IMG_8371.jpeg

Lots to see in this picture. I'm sure @crs1026 @smallspy will have some observations/memories. Two things that stood out for me right away are the jointed rail in the Union Station Rail corridor, and what looks like three active tracks for the Richmond Hill Line/Bala Sub. From the Facebook Group "Classic Canadian National".

Caption text:

Friday Flashback
"Rush Hour"
There's a lot going on about a mile east of Toronto Union Station in this view from a hot, hazy July, 1985 afternoon. To the left, a Canadian National (CN) ballast train is waiting in the clear to head west when the rush hour "dust" clears. In the center, on the CN Kingston Subdivision, a Via Rail Canada LRC ("Light-Rapid-Comfortable") consist is just nicely into its eastward journey to Montreal, while on the right, an outbound GO Transit commuter train is heading toward Toronto's north suburbs on the CN Bala Subdivision. Cherry Street Tower can be seen on the far right in the distance. July, 1985 photo by Mark Hinsdale

1718048753727.png

^ Lots to see indeed, Working grain elevators, boxcar in the then Don Yard....., the freight train is one of the gravel trains that shuttled between the quarry in Limehouse and gravel yards at Scarborough and Milliken. Former boxcar and rebuilt caboose 79499 is no longer with us, but its close sister 79482 still operates in charter service at the Waterloo Central Railway.
And those signal gantries are timeless.

- Paul

Last edited:
When was the last time a CN train went through Union station? Would a CN train even be allowed to run through Union today? Probably in the middle of the night, so as to not impede GO operations.

When was the last time a CN train went through Union station? Would a CN train even be allowed to run through Union today? Probably in the middle of the night, so as to not impede GO operations.

I don't have the precise date close at hand, but CN stopped delivering chlorine to the Ashbridges water treatment plant around 2019-2020.

- Paul

Back