News   Mar 28, 2024
 73     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Train Spotting

^ Going full tilt too. Serendipity with the camera!

I thought I caught a pic of this model a few days ago, but somehow the phone failed to store it. I thought the model was long ago retired, but perhaps this was pulled out of retirement with another CN (ex?) liveried shunter on a consist turning north from west on CP at:

: - Google Map

And here's the model: (Always makes me think of an Edsel)

It was a four loco consist, the latter two being shunters, and the GMD-1 smoking heavily. Crew was onboard, so maybe it was being dragged somewhere to be dropped off by the road engines, even though it and the other shunter were under power.

The one that got away! Honest...lol...I know the Class 1s are short on power right now, but man, that's scraping the bottom of the scrap yard.

Had to wait for it on Old Weston Rd just north of Junction Rd. Impressive...very long mixed freight.

Addendum:
As of December 2017, CN still operates a few GMD-1's, though most of them are either in storage or retired. A GMD-1 known to still be operating is CN 1405 as of April 18, 2018.

Speak of the devil, that's the one pictured above! But what was it doing on CP? Had to be a hire-in.

Last edited:

I thought I caught a pic of this model a few days ago, but somehow the phone failed to store it. I thought the model was long ago retired, but perhaps this was pulled out of retirement with another CN (ex?) liveried shunter on a consist turning north from west on CP at:
View attachment 176799

View attachment 176800

It was a four loco consist, the latter two being shunters, and the GMD-1 smoking heavily. Crew was onboard, so maybe it was being dragged somewhere to be dropped off by the road engines, even though it and the other shunter were under power.

The one that got away! Honest...lol...I know the Class 1s are short on power right now, but man, that's scraping the bottom of the scrap yard.

Had to wait for it on Old Weston Rd just north of Junction Rd. Impressive...very long mixed freight.

Addendum:

Speak of the devil, that's the one pictured above! But what was it doing on CP? Had to be a hire-in.

Perhaps you saw the CN transfer run that goes to Lambton Yard. What time did you spot it? CN does still have a few GMD1s running around right now (in fact I've seen a bunch of photos of one on the Guelph Sub recently).

Last edited:
Perhaps you saw the CN transfer run that goes to Lambton Yard. What time did you spot it? CN does still have a few GMD1s running around right now (in fact I've seen a bunch of photos of one on the Guelph Sub recently).
Around Noon, perhaps shortly after, early afternoon at latest. For Lambton yard, it would have continued wesbound, not northrbound, albeit it might have gone east from Lambton to be formed into a train, cut in towards North Toronto Station, and then west and north.

It was a week ago Friday (yesterday).

Here's what immediately comes to mind from that era of build:

Last edited:

View attachment 176799

View attachment 176800

Addendum:

I caught 1437 on a 3 loco train servicing the industries at Islington and 401 with 4762 as well GMTX 2254 a few days at Etobicoke North Station.

Flying home over Vaughan, pass over an COFC yard for CP? and it didn't look like the CP Vaughan Yard That I have seen and is this a new one for CP or CN?? It look like it was on a mainline.

Here are some videos I got of some local trains I caught in the KW area a few weeks ago. It was really nice seeing some foreign power on the Galt sub and seeing an EMD GP9.

^That’s CN’s Brampton Intermodal Terminal, east of Airport Road north of the 407. Accessed from a wye running north off the Halton Sub.

Kinda demonstrates why CN wants a new terminal at Milton.....BIT has no room to expand and is landlocked by industry.

- Paul

^That’s CN’s Brampton Intermodal Terminal, east of Airport Road north of the 407. Accessed from a wye running north off the Halton Sub.

Kinda demonstrates why CN wants a new terminal at Milton.....BIT has no room to expand and is landlocked by industry.

- Paul
With the new yard In Milton, there is no need to back in or out or move power from one end to another. A train will arrive on X track to either drop off car or pick up cars or do both and move to X track to do one or both moves and re-couple to the train and move on to its next stop. Faster turn around than Bramalea today. Using Milton will allow CN to run longer trains since the cars could see longer tracks like other RR who are building new or expand yards for longer train.

I saw my first 260 COFC train on my trip that had 3 power on the front 2 2 unit mid locos and 2 pushing. It was all double stack. The longest I have seen around this area has been 160.

Just came out of the clouds to see this and had no idea where we were until I got home and did some matching to see which yard it was.

Back