News   Apr 26, 2024
 96     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 231     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 419     0 

Town Lofts, The (143 Strachan Ave, ?, 3s, Stamp Architecture)

Very nich builiding! love it!
Found this on BBB Architects' website. Doesn't provide any other info or details on whether it's still a current proposal. Google Maps gives an approximate address of 143 Strachan and shows a warehouse type building currently on site. Anyone familiar with the area that knows the exact purpose of that building?

http://www.bbb.ca/dev/portfolio/strachan-ave/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roxxstarr/8395290130/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roxxstarr/8394206453/

ditto ...
I think they missed the market demographic here.
IMO the units are 2-3X larger than warranted and what the market might bear.

I wonder how big the lot is?
could they not have made 8 units x 3,000+ sq ft instead of 4 x 6,000+ sq ft?

Yea, I'd agree with you. At that price tag you could buy anywhere. why buy there?

27 April 2014
wzkeqct.jpg

Yea, I'd agree with you. At that price tag you could buy anywhere. why buy there?

Actually, I love this area and where can you find a 6,500 sq.ft. modern house in downtown TO?
Finding a property and building a home like this would be difficult, costly and time consuming, so I'm guessing those who have the means, who like the neighbourhood and doesn't want to go through the effort of getting such a building approved and built would spend $3 million to live here. I'm just curious exactly who these people are and how long it will take to sell all four townhouses.
Because these townhouses are so expensive and appeal to a very specific buyer, I am surprised that the exterior of the townhouse units are so cookie cutter repetitive. There should be some variation to give each unit more individuality and identity.
These are still beautifully designed and unusually large townhouses and if I had the means I would consider them rather than something in Forrest Hill.

The neighbours must be either happy about the impact on their property values, or mad that there is a bunch of monster townhomes towering next to them.

Actually, I love this area and where can you find a 6,500 sq.ft. modern house in downtown TO?
Finding a property and building a home like this would be difficult, costly and time consuming, so I'm guessing those who have the means, who like the neighbourhood and doesn't want to go through the effort of getting such a building approved and built would spend $3 million to live here. I'm just curious exactly who these people are and how long it will take to sell all four townhouses.
Because these townhouses are so expensive and appeal to a very specific buyer, I am surprised that the exterior of the townhouse units are so cookie cutter repetitive. There should be some variation to give each unit more individuality and identity.
These are still beautifully designed and unusually large townhouses and if I had the means I would consider them rather than something in Forrest Hill.

The neighbours must be either happy about the impact on their property values, or mad that there is a bunch of monster townhomes towering next to them.

I figure you could purchase a house in a better area with more land and just renovate it to your tastes.

Better area with more land? Where can that be?
Everyone has their own idea of what the best neighbourhood is to them.
I actually love this neighbourhood, well I actually live in this neighbourhood, and wouldn't mind staying here if I came across a huge sum of money. It's in an established neighbourhood in the city and steps to King and Queen Streets, Trinity Bellwoods Park, and a host of other public amenities.

6,500 sq.ft. is way too much house for me, but if I had the money and needed the space this would be it. The units are sold core & shell, so I could design and finish the interior to my own taste and needs. I don't know where else I could build a 6,500 sq.ft. from scratch or even renovate a place of that size with a large yard that's in the city in my desired neighbourhoods.

Pretty gross (especially considering what they were charging for these things). The stacked stone makes it look like a chain-steakhouse in Oshawa.

First of all these aren't that expensive. A 6500 sf custom home in Oakville might go for $3-4 million, it would have a bigger yard, but the location is not as good. Yes, this is a better location than Oakville, "a lot of rich people living there/exclusive" doesn't necessarily mean it's a good location, it could just be that the middle class have been zoned out or it's not appealing to lower incomes (ex Oakville Transit sucks - although Oakville still has GO and a nice downtown). I would also say this is a significantly better location than York Mills or Central Etobicoke (especially with the slaughterhouse closing). It's close to downtown, and close to all sorts of interesting neighbourhoods. Maybe the buyers being targeted here are into the arts scene (even though they're obviously not starving artists themselves).

BTW I think I remember seeing another modern townhouse for sale in the area, with the size and price in the same ball park.

Last edited:

Back