News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Toronto's Transit Network Plan

Yeah that schedule ain't happening. They'll fight over the plan for a few years, then construction is bound to run into delays.

I look forward to riding the DRL when I'm 45.

Kind of weird to think about, actually.

Hmm. That schedule is more rapid than even I was anticipating

I have zero confidence in that timeline. Chances are that in 2018 the new city councillors are still talking about this pie in the sky, producing all sorts of assessment, reports and recommendations as if something real is about to happen. This is why I live within walking distance of work (and most amenities) despite the high cost and small space.

Interestingly enough, that timeline has the DRL ready for prime time right when the next Provincial and Municipal elections come up. That could be a very interesting debate, with some potential funding proposals coming with it.

I think that is exactly what it is. I think City Planning tried to make the most out of a bad situation and thus delivered the transit map that led to the creation of this thread. So long as we push forward with all these goals, I will not complain. Especially considering how political transit planning was just prior to Tory's election.

But we really must push forward with these goals. Embrace GO-RER with SmartTrack branding, and get the damn Relief Line built. I just hope that everything revolving SmartTrack passes through council as fast as possible, so that the "Big J" Relief Line to Sheppard studies are allowed to proceed without the fear of making SmartTrack look absolutely redundant in the face of the Big J relief line's ability to provide Yonge-line relief.
aren't there posts on here that relief to Sheppard not needed and won't be built until western portion built? Why is everything recycled and people still calling for this Big J?

aren't there posts on here that relief to Sheppard not needed and won't be built until western portion built? Why is everything recycled and people still calling for this Big J?

I don't think anyone suggested that the phasing of western portion before Big J extension is an official position of any kind - I think it is just possibilities we have raised here on the forum to consider.

Interestingly enough, that timeline has the DRL ready for prime time right when the next Provincial and Municipal elections come up. That could be a very interesting debate, with some potential funding proposals coming with it.

I think the PC position last election was already pro-DRL of sorts anyways, however fluffy that was (in the context of the general no LRT posturing). Of course, positions during elections are not worth anything when the hard reality of constituency comes in.

AoD

Toronto’s grand transit plan (maybe, hopefully)

Toronto has never been short on transit ambitions. How much of it will become reality is the eternal question here. With city staff working to prioritize projects and a renewed promise of funding, the next year in transit planning will be the most crucial yet. Oliver Moore reports on what’s under way, what’s approved – and what’s still a pipe dream

CdTt0j5UkAUiYBY.jpg

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...aybehopefully/article29194407/?click=sf_globe

Attachments

• CdTt0j5UkAUiYBY.jpg
    CdTt0j5UkAUiYBY.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 760
Toronto’s grand transit plan (maybe, hopefully)

Toronto has never been short on transit ambitions. How much of it will become reality is the eternal question here. With city staff working to prioritize projects and a renewed promise of funding, the next year in transit planning will be the most crucial yet. Oliver Moore reports on what’s under way, what’s approved – and what’s still a pipe dream

View attachment 69843

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...aybehopefully/article29194407/?click=sf_globe
Wow, that's a lot of lines in Scarborough, given its low population density.

In reality, there really should be a plan to build an LRT ROW on the Queensway from Humber Loop to Sherway, in addition to one on Lakeshore to Long Branch (which should eventually get extended to Hurontario)

What moron ran the waterfront lrt down queensway?

Obviously the peeps in planning did it to spite you, personally.

Look, I support a Mimico subway and all but let's get the Scarborough subway plan back on the tracks and restored up to Malvern first before we get sidetracked and derailed by misadventures out in Etobicoke.

Obviously the peeps in planning did it to spite you, personally.

Look, I support a Mimico subway and all but let's get the Scarborough subway plan back on the tracks and restored up to Malvern first before we get sidetracked and derailed by misadventures out in Etobicoke.
Who's asking for a subway? Troll.

Queensway is one of the most lightly used and least frequent of the bus routes I am familiar with. I last I checked headways are 30 mins. Does that sound like a good use of transit dollars?

Shhhhh.... this way we get Queensway and keep Lakeshore too ;-)

Maybe the Globe is appeasing all the Sherway Gardens retailers who buy ads in the paper.

- Paul

The obvious solution to get to Sherway Gardens is just to extend the Bloor-Danforth subway two stops west. And as it could be done above-grade, it'd be cheap as heck too to build.

Back