586     0 

Toronto's teeniest house back on the market

CDL.TO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto's teeniest house back on the market
By Claire Sibonney

PHOTOS

TORONTO (Reuters Life!) - To exit through the back door of Toronto's "smallest house," first fold the Murphy bed back into the wall; it takes up the entire seven-foot width of the bedroom.

Built in 1912, the pint-size "Little House" features one bedroom, a kitchen with folding table and chairs, a living room and a full, if narrow, bathroom. With a living area of just 300 square feet, it was bought and renovated this year, and is back on the market for C$173,000 ($172,000).

"Holy cow, that is the smallest house," said cab driver Kamran Ghuman, after pulling up outside 128 Day Avenue in Toronto's west end. "It looks like it used to be a garage and then they made a house out of it."

Dwarfed between two larger homes, the detached bungalow was bought last spring for C$139,000 and redone inside and out, including a new decorative window for its gabled roof, hardwood floors, new cabinetry, appliances, a stone walkway and gardens.

"It reminds people of a small cottage or what they may have seen in a storybook," said owner David Blois, a property manager who took on the "flip" project.

Many neighbors agree.

"Look how cute it is. It looks like a little chapel," said Marika Wheeler, who has lived down the street for over 30 years and has seen the house change owners several times.

Blois says the house was built by a contractor on a strip of land where the city forgot to cut the curb for a laneway. He lived there for 20 years.

Since then, it has been home to several families, including immigrants from Hungary, Italy and Brazil.

Blois said one man who walked by the house during the renovations said he had lived there with his wife and three children.

Real estate agent Cristina Lopes said the property was a steal compared with bachelor or one-bedroom condominiums in Toronto, typically priced at over C$200,000 on property Web site mls.ca.

"Even though this is only 300 square feet, it looks more spacious than a condo that's 700 or 800 square feet," Lopes said. "It all depends on the layout and the layout of this home was really nicely done."

The house, on a street of two- and three-bedroom homes, also boasts a patio and parking for two cars, as well as a storage basement, accessible through a trapdoor in the floor.

Lopes said the owner has received a few offers since the house went on the market in the fall, but they fell through.

A couple of weeks ago my mother forwarded me a shorter, but similar worded email for this property with 8 or 10 indoor and outdoor photos of the place. It was one of those email jokes which, at the time, was being circulated among my mother and her friends. She (God love her) added one of her typical catty comments to the email, "you people in Toronto will buy anything LOL". My mom thinks she's pretty clever having emigrated with the family from the city to rural Ontario in the late 70's. I got the hell out and back to Toronto 2 weeks after I finished high school in 1980.
So I cut and pasted a story (with photos) about the frenzy over 1BE to give her an extreme example of real estate in Toronto. A few days later she emailed me back not sure if my 1BE story was true or if it was a joke that she could forward to her friends.

Not worth it for that price. come on.. its in the middle of nowwhere. For that price I can get a condo and be right downtown.

The lot has parking for two cars, so the building could probably be enlarged by expanding the footprint and reducing that to a single parking spot, and adding a second storey - if planning permission is given. You can't do that with a condo downtown.

^Or maybe they could apply to build a garage for those two cars. It's a suburbish location, after all. ;)

Not sure I'd like living in a space where you could always touch opposing walls at the same time. But perhaps it could be a cozy little home with a second story and expanded space to the rear.

It could also make for a spacious dog house. The price may be steep, but this is probably the nicest small house you can find in the city.

Others (not presently on sale):

-A house that is probably twice as wide as this one, with questionable materials and poor placement of the front window.

-283 Shuter Street, a house that looks like it's about to collapse. It's tiny factor is high and just 2 kilometres from Dundas Square.

-What is possibly a house, and will satisfy those with a stucco fetish.

More pictures (note the name of the credit beneath them):

thelittlesthouse.JPG

Courtesy "You Are The Worst dot com"

Toronto's smallest house...

Everyone: On my 1990 trip my hosts showed me this little house-which stuck in my mind. I saw the topic and remembered it was in W Toronto-I had to look and see if it is the one-it is. It looks to me like it was built almost in a driveway between the two larger neighboring houses. So there WAS recent exterior renovation done to it. I could imagine a block of houses in a city of that size-that would be neat.

I have relatives who have lived in Philadelphia row houses-they look small from the outside but when you go inside they are more spacious then they look. Interesting pics here-which I have NOT seen in the past! LI MIKE

I'm thinking with two more floors above it, a bedroom on the top floor with skylights and perhaps a big sunroom extension on the back this could be pretty cool. That would put it over 1000 sq ft with a nice private backyard :)

Back