JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto's real estate market shows signs of cooling down
Posted: February 05, 2008, 7:44 PM by Barry Hertz
Real estate
By Chris Wattie, National Post

salesss.jpg

Toronto’s superheated real estate market is showing signs of cooling down with the imposition of the city’s land-transfer tax, recording a sharp drop in prices last month after setting multiple records last year, according to figures released yesterday.

The average price for a Toronto resale home fell nearly $20,000 in January, the Toronto Real Estate Board numbers showed, a potentially worrisome portent for 2008.

Maureen O’Neill, the president of the real estate board, said the drop in the average price of a resale home, from $394,931 in December to $373,449 in January, was the first month-to-month drop in at least seven years. “That’s quite unusual,” she said. “It’s the first time the average price has gone down since 2001, which is as far back as we checked.”

The average price is 6% higher than January, 2007, but lower than the December average price.

Ms. O’Neill said the price slump could be the beginning of a trend, as the city’s new land-transfer tax took effect on Feb. 1. The tax, approved last October by city council will amount to nearly $4,000 on an average-priced home in Toronto. Ms. O’Neill said it could drive prices down by encouraging more buyers to look outside the city limits, or by tightening how much they can afford to pay.

“Will the additional tax stop people from buying homes? No, of course not,” she said. “But it’s going to be a burden ... and people may say: ‘You know Toronto’s getting too pricey,’ and they’ll look elsewhere in the GTA.”

Micah Munro, an agent with Bosley Real Estate, said the tax appears to be having a psychological effect on many of the buyers he is showing around the east-end neighbourhoods where he concentrates. “There’s been a ton of buyers trying to get in before the tax kicked in,” he said. “They were all asking me about the tax .... I was even hearing it from first-time buyers, who are exempt from paying it.”

“It was a mad rush last month.”

Ms. O’Neill said sales were still strong across the city last month, although they did not reach the soaring numbers of January, 2007, which set a record with 5,173 sales. Last month, a total of 5,073 properties changed hands, within 2% of the record, she said.

“There’s all sorts of indications that the economy in Toronto will remain strong this year,” she said. “All the signs are there.”

The real estate board figures showed strong sales in Toronto’s downtown and east end, led by the Danforth’s 30% increase in transactions over last January and by West Agincourt, with 32% more homes sold, mainly a surge in condominium apartment sales.

Condominiums also led the way in the downtown core and in Willowdale, both of which saw a 19% overall increase.

But Ms. O’Neill said realtors will be keeping a particularly sharp eye on prices now that the new tax is in effect. “I’m going to be watching those figures this month and next very, very closely.”

Mr. Munro said it is still too early to tell what effect the municipal tax is having on the market. “I haven’t seen any effect yet,” he said. “But it hasn’t even been a week yet .... It’s still hard to tell.”

Photo by Nathan Denette for National Post

It'll be interesting to see what will happen in the next two months. If potential buyers suddenly start thinking that prices will be lower the following month then we'll be in for some interesting times.

if prices go lower, that could instead start a buying frenzy...

It'll be interesting to see what will happen in the next two months. If potential buyers suddenly start thinking that prices will be lower the following month then we'll be in for some interesting times.

True; it's foolish to draw any conclusions based on just one month's statistics. The sales volume dropped slightly from January 2007, but that month had been an all-time high for January. Prices dropped slightly from December to January, but that could be just a statistical blip. Let's see what happens over the next 3 - 4 months.

One statistic which I pay some attention to (and which usually doesn't make it into the newspapers) is the number of active listings on the market. At the end of Jan. 2007 there were 17,884 active listings. At the end of Jan. 2008 there were 15,911, a drop of 11%. It's logical that if there are fewer listings available, there will be fewer sales. The number of listings went down 11%, yet the number of sales went down less than 2%.

We will need a longer series of numbers before we can say that the market is weakening.

also decemeber was super huge real estate wise.

Oh good god, it's the Post - no one takes it seriously. Last week, they were claiming that the GTA's urban sprawl was as a result of increased transit.

The new tax has been in effect for only a week - I'm quite sure there was a burst of closing just before - there's a lot of flexibility with closing dates. Which also means there's a lull just afterwards. And there is an economic downturn going on - which would surely reduce sales.

They are just grinding political axes. It's way too early to be doing all doom and gloom on this.

toronto real estate agents have been spinning this tax. Now they re explaining how lower property taxes in toronto more than make up for this tax.

The new tax has been in effect for only a week - I'm quite sure there was a burst of closing just before - there's a lot of flexibility with closing dates. Which also means there's a lull just afterwards. And there is an economic downturn going on - which would surely reduce sales.

They are just grinding political axes. It's way too early to be doing all doom and gloom on this.

I agree with Nfitz. Deals made before Dec 31, 2007 are exempt from the new Toronto LTT, regardless of the closing date. That probably created the lull in January.

I love how Global News announced on their 6pm news segment that prices are dropping, without even talking about the new Toronto LTT... anything to make a story, I guess.

toronto real estate agents have been spinning this tax. Now they re explaining how lower property taxes in toronto more than make up for this tax.

That is a pretty lame spin on the new Toronto LTT, but it's true... Toronto does have lower single unit residential tax rates relative to the rest of Ontario.

http://communications2.torontomls.net/gov_rel/taxrates/pdf/tax rates 2007.pdf

However, after MPAC assesses our property values, it probably ends up being the same :p So, I'd say live where you want to live, based on your lifestyle.

And yes, I'm an agent... bring on the flames.

And u didn't encourage buyers to get in prior to the tax?:rolleyes:....regardless as usual buyer beware....

Of course I informed my buyers to make use of the "grandfathered" period for the TLTT...

The Toronto Real Estate Board is actively lobbying these new tax increases. It's pretty unfair for the city to always run to homeowners, when they can't balance the books...

So a prospective buyer asks about the tax now....and u ll say...

I'll say, "sucks, you just missed out. Are you SURE you want to buy in the core?"

I guess I'm lucky and can speak the truth, because real estate is not my primary source of income...

We're not *all* sharks, heh.

Forget about the sales drop-off. Only Agents care about sales. Buyers and Sellers care about prices. Look at the price trend:

This is certainly the mark of a downward trend in housing prices for the City of Toronto. The first to suffer of course will be the enormous block of speculative condos. The frenzy surrounding One Bloor East established a clear high-water mark for this cycle. It is all downhill from here people. If you can get out of your spec purchase now is the time. I predict that average condo prices will drop 20% from the December 2007 highs before bottoming out in 2010.

Just being optimistic here, but I think the month to month drop can be attributed to the rush of people making and signing agreements in December, then it cooling off in January. Let's wait a couple of months before we call doom in the market.

Perhaps a one month change isn't enough data to possibly prematurely pull the trigger?

Back