839     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Toronto's own Monopoly spot

this is only a competition - this list doesn't mean anything

----
Paris is more important than Hong Kong,
------------

it has nothing to do with importance (what kind of...?), beauty, whatever..

it is just voting - and can indicate the spirit of community - as we see until now quite strong in Montreal and France (which is probably interconnected)

what it CAN indicate instead, is the degree to which the city is known/recognized all over the world

nothing else

otherwise TORONTO would top the list - but as you can see, it still 'lags' and is now only 14th

someone wrote:
----------
whoever this is voting for Montreal but not NY, Paris, London, etc. are brainwashed insular idiots.
----

well... I do vote Paris (and some other cities), but NOT London, nor NYC, neither Montreal - and I'm not feeling like an idiot :))

someone wrote:
----------
whoever this is voting for Montreal but not NY, Paris, London, etc. are brainwashed insular idiots.
----

well... I do vote Paris (and some other cities), but NOT London, nor NYC, neither Montreal - and I'm not feeling like an idiot :))
That someone was me. I did say "...etc.", though. And Paris would be definitely be included in there. So I wasn't calling you an idiot--I was calling the weasels who are voting only for Montreal idiots. I just have a really hard time believing that this many people in the world like Montreal. Speaking as someone who is currently living in Europe, I NEVER hear people actively talk about Montreal. Not even my friend from Paris (although I did dig up their opinions of Quebecers ;)). And if you notice, Montreal is pulling ahead of Paris now, so it looks like the people voting for Montreal are not voting for Paris. Of course this is just a popularity contest but at the moment it seems like something is rotten in Denmark.
Paris is more important than Hong Kong, imo...
After further investigation I retract my comment. It seems, to my surprise, that Paris has a higher GDP, which I was partially basing my opinion on.

That someone was me. I did say "...etc.", though. And Paris would be definitely be included in there. So I wasn't calling you an idiot--I was calling the weasels who are voting only for Montreal idiots. I just have a really hard time believing that this many people in the world like Montreal. Speaking as someone who is currently living in Europe, I NEVER hear people actively talk about Montreal. Not even my friend from Paris (although I did dig up their opinions of Quebecers ;)). And if you notice, Montreal is pulling ahead of Paris now, so it looks like the people voting for Montreal are not voting for Paris. Of course this is just a popularity contest but at the moment it seems like something is rotten in Denmark.

After further investigation I retract my comment. It seems, to my surprise, that Paris has a higher GDP, which I was partially basing my opinion on.

I have a lot of parisian friends and they all love Montreal. Some of them would actually like to move here (some of them did and are quite happy). I don't know if it's because you are taking this contest too seriously, but you really seem to have a visceral dislike of Montreal and, from your last comment, of Quebeckers. I really think you should chill a little about this Monopoly thing.

I have a lot of parisian friends and they all love Montreal. Some of them would actually like to move here (some of them did and are quite happy). I don't know if it's because you are taking this contest too seriously, but you really seem to have a visceral dislike of Montreal and, from your last comment, of Quebeckers. I really think you should chill a little about this Monopoly thing.
Not true. I love Montreal and have said before here that I consider it one of my own favorite cities. And I don't doubt there is Parisians out there who like Montreal. I am just suspicious about this (yes, trivial) ranking at the moment and the honesty of the voters.
And mentioning Quebeckers in the way I did was wasn't meant to mean any harm (although putting it in a rant was probably bad judgment). I should explain: Some of us English (only) speaking Canadians are interested in outsider views of Quebeckers from native French speakers. It's just fascinating to some (emphasize some) of us. No hatred here for Quebeckers or Montreal.
Your right about taking this Monopoly thing to seriously though--but I think I've already made that observation myself. I think it's like a rolling ball--for example this long rebuttal trying to justify my early remarks. Funny thing, I doubt I'll buy a board for myself. :D Well, I might get one for my nephew and nieces.

Vote Toronto

VOTE TORONTO - it's back one step - to 15th...

I didn't say you said/thought that I'm an idiot (anyway I wouldn't be so much disturbed) - but I wanted to pinpoint that voting some cities in this case has nothing to do with reality - it's just more local patriotism and nothing else.

And more - when you write that NYC or London is worth voting more than Rio de Janeiro or Toronto, well I do not understand it... why? What supposedly makes those cities more 'valuable'???

Anyone votes those cities which he likes - or maybe because they're from his country (or maybe for this reason he do not vote them, as I can read sometimes about Toronto, which is obviously but without reason hated in Canada...)

Anyway this is only a 'stupid' competition. What was the code of choosing cities for the main list? Who knows?

Why - for instance Canada has at least 3 cities included? Not that I'm against it, but it is quite strange!

The internet is oddly distorted in terms of demographics. Until very recently, Toronto had the largest facebook network of any city in the world.

back up to 14th. Mayor David Miller has joined the Facebook group. let's get him to get City Hall to spread the word

Personally, I think the simplest way to estimate how the rest of the world sees a city is to look at the number of tourists that it gets per year. This survey: http://www.euromonitor.com/Top_150_City_Destinations_London_Leads_the_Way ranks the top 150 tourist destinations in the world; it puts London at the top and Toronto in 14th.

Some of the rankings don't accord with how I would arrange things, but if the monopoly board came out like this survey I wouldn't be at all unhappy. Tourism may not be the absolute 'best' way to rank a city's international status, but I can't think of one other single measurement that would be better (and certainly not one that would be easier to measure).

Notably, Montreal is in 85th and Vancouver didn't make the list. Also, Mecca ends up in 19th.

Personally, I think the simplest way to estimate how the rest of the world sees a city is to look at the number of tourists that it gets per year. This survey: http://www.euromonitor.com/Top_150_City_Destinations_London_Leads_the_Way ranks the top 150 tourist destinations in the world; it puts London at the top and Toronto in 14th.

Notably, Montreal is in 85th and Vancouver didn't make the list. Also, Mecca ends up in 19th.

I'd be curious to know what the tourism numbers are based on, or how they are defined. Toronto has an enormous immigrant population which means a lot of people travel here to visit relatives etc. Toronto is also a Canadian/N.American business centre and a lot of people travel here on business. Would either of those groups come here otherwise as purely a travel/vacation destination? Some would of course, but if you adjust for those things would Toronto really be a bigger travel destination than Vancouver or Montreal? I would doubt it.

Back