1.8K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 542     0 

Toronto's graffiti makes for poor behaviour

Glen

Member Bio
Reaction score
Study shows messiness leads to behavior decline

AP) -- Does a messy neighborhood make a difference on how people act? It sure does! Graffiti on the walls, trash in the street, bicycles chained to a fence, all resulted in a decline in how people behaved in a series of experiments.

A bit of litter or graffiti didn't lead to predatory crime, but actions ranging from littering to trespassing and minor stealing all increased when people saw evidence of others ignoring the rules of good behavior, Dutch researchers report in Thursday's online edition of the journal Science.

In normal behavior most people try to act appropriately to the circumstances, explained lead author Kees Keizer of the faculty of behavioral and social sciences at the University of Groningen, Netherlands. But some tend to avoid effort or seek ways to gain for themselves.

Things like littering an area or applying graffiti change the circumstances by indicating that others are not behaving correctly, which weakens the incentive for people to do the right thing.

So the researchers were not surprised that people littered more in messy area, for example. But, added Keizer: "We were, however, surprised by the size of the effect."

Here's an example.

The researchers found a tidy alley in a shopping area where people parked their bicycles. There was a no-littering sign on the wall.

The researchers attached flyers for a nonexistent store to the bike handlebars and observed behavior.

Under normal circumstances, 33 percent of riders littered the alley with the flyer. But after researchers defaced the alley wall with graffiti, the share of riders who littered with the flyers jumped to 69 percent.

They did a half-dozen similar experiments, all with similar results.

While the study seems to deliver a negative message, Keizer pointed out that "it also shows that municipal officials and the public can have a significant impact on the influence of norms and rules on behavior."

In other words, keep public areas neat and people will be less likely to make a mess.

The work is related to the "Broken Window Theory," which suggests that urban disorder such as broken windows and graffiti encourage petty crime.

This research doesn't go that far, said Robert J. Sampson, chairman of Harvard University's department of sociology.

"It's an interesting study, it's very clever. And the results are believable within the limited bounds set by their design," said Sampson, who was not part of the research team.

But the results don't show that disorder spreads to predatory crime, he said, what they show is that disorder increases people's likelihood of committing (similar) acts."

In addition to the alley with graffiti, here's how the experiments worked:

Test Two:

A fence partly closed off the main entrance to a parking lot. There was a narrow gap and a no-admittance sign that pointed out a new entry, 200 yards away. A second sign prohibited locking bikes to the fence.

When the fence was clear, 27 percent of people heading for their cars ignored the no-admittance sign and squeezed through the gap in the fence. But after several bikes were locked to the fence in defiance of that ban, 82 percent of people going to their cars squeezed through the prohibited entry.

Test Three:

Flyers were placed under the windshield wipers of cars in a parking garage next to a market. A sign on the wall asked people to return their shopping carts to the market.

When the lot was clear of shopping carts, 30 percent of drivers littered the lot with the flyers. But when a few carts were left in a disorderly state around the garage, 58 percent of people littered.

Test Four:

Two weeks before New Year's Day researchers visited a bicycle parking shed near a train station and attached flyers to the handlebars. Under normal conditions 52 percent of the riders littered the shed with the flyers. Then the researchers set off fireworks outside the shed - which residents know is illegal in the period before New Year. Hearing the fireworks, 80 percent of riders littered the shed.

Tests Five and Six:

An envelope with money visible through the address window was placed sticking out of a mailbox.

Under ordinary conditions 13 percent of passers-by stole the envelope.

When the same mailbox was defaced with graffiti the percentage taking the money jumped to 27 percent.

After researchers cleaned the mailbox, but messed up the area around it with litter, 25 percent stole the money.

yup, I can attest to that. I've done it once or twice though I do try to refrain from littering. My thought was, since there's so much litter around, someone will be sent to clean it up. So adding a one more wouldn't hurt. And ahh... I just saw someone litter there. It must be okay to do that here.

I know I'm being lazy but I'm sure many people think that way too and it starts accumulating. Maybe enforcing the 0 tolerance for littering might help. I've heard Singapore is very clean, but that's cuz there's a law to fine anyone who litters. Even spitting.

I just had an occurrence yesterday of almost getting spit on. The guy in front of me was spitting to his side and I was walking behind him. I had to make an immediate turn to avoid the spit.

Last edited:
Litter I don't like, and agree that there should be a zero tolerance policy in effect. However, it's the spitting I hate even more, and as your experience proves, it's extremely obnoxious. I'd really like to see a zero tolerance policy, complete with fines for people spitting all over the place.

Occasionally, spitting is necessary. If you spit on a street occasionally when running, or if you have a cold, what harm is done? It evaporates and doesn't make the surroundings look messy like litter does. It eventually rains, and there go the remnants.

Last edited:
It's not hygienic. Someone could step on it and carry those germs to other places. It's like people who let their dogs poo on the ground too. People step on it if they don't look where they're going. At least you see poo, you can't see spit. Especially if there's an pandemic it will spread very fast.

I know about situations where you have to spit. I have done it on occasion but I try to do it on a corner people don't walk on. But that doesn't make it right either. I couldn't find a garbage area to spit on.

Occasionally, spitting is necessary. If you spit on a street occasionally when running, or if you have a cold, what harm is done? It evaporates and doesn't make the surroundings look messy like litter does. It eventually rains, and there go the remnants.

It can aerosolize and besides, gawd forbid someone should step on it. Instead of spitting, one can always swallow it back - and if that's gross, just think of how gross it is to dispose of it in public?

AoD

One has to face the fact the sidewalk surface is inherently gross. Animals, garbage, and various other factors make for one rather contaminated surface. You'll most likely step on some contaminated surfaces in public washrooms as well. And when you walk onto that sidewalk, you'll carry some of that.

And of course, there's no way I'll *ever* go to Church & Wellesley. Touch any foreign exposed surface with my bare flesh, and I might get AIDS

One has to face the fact the sidewalk surface is inherently gross. Animals, garbage, and various other factors make for one rather contaminated surface. You'll most likely step on some contaminated surfaces in public washrooms as well. And when you walk onto that sidewalk, you'll carry some of that.

it is, but that's no excuse to make it worse. alot of times, what's on the sidewalk ends up on my sleeves and on my hands. it doesn't take much effort for someone to spit in the sewer or where people don't go.

How about the people who, without missing a step, aim their head one direction, plug one nostril, blow a load out of their other nostril and then continue walking. What in blazes is up with them?

Wow, how grossly unscientific of an example, and what an old rehashing of the broken windows theory again.

I really like Graffiti, and would wish certain city councellors would stop the harassment of property owners in Scarborough and bloor west who have paid for murals to go up. Maybe they should do something about those giant billboard trashcans that always seem to be overflowing with trash.

Speaking of clear streets, why does the street sweeper always run up and down avenue road, every other day about 4 times and I haven't seen it once down in Chinatown?

Although this is a multi-layer rant, the trash cans are never maintained properly either by the city or the TTC (at some stations they just removed them..), something should be done about it as I have seen rats in the ttc and down on spadina regularly this past summer.

Also the spitting, geez what is about some guys who do this everywhere? YUK.

Economist: Can the can

Criminology
Can the can
Nov 20th 2008

The idea that graffiti-spraying and other forms of low-level delinquency promote further bad behaviour has now been tested experimentally

A PLACE that is covered in graffiti and festooned with rubbish makes people feel uneasy. And with good reason, according to a group of researchers in the Netherlands. Kees Keizer and his colleagues at the University of Groningen deliberately created such settings as a part of a series of experiments designed to discover if signs of vandalism, litter and low-level lawbreaking could change the way people behave. They found that they could, by a lot: doubling the number who are prepared to litter and steal.

Back