News   Jul 12, 2024
 877     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 785     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 328     0 

Toronto's Future Population

Those socio-economic population projections (2020) by David Hulchanski are frightening. Perhaps they will not come to pass, but the implications are dire and a cautionary tale to those who consider population growth and increased densities as intrinsicly positive outcomes.

"According to Hulchanski, in 2020 the city will be divided essentially into high income, predominantly white areas and low income, minority areas."

What is this based on? As far as I can tell, visible minorities in T.O. have only been increasing in wealth since the 80's, not decreasing. I don't mean to be racist, but white people seem to be under-represented in top rated University programs, such as Waterloo Computer Engineering, and over-represented in programs with little employability (such as Waterloo Arts).
I could also get into an anecdotal account with respect to the ethnic distribution of one of the Technology departments at a major chartered bank where even the lowest graded employee's salary is pretty darn good, but that doesn't really prove anything either...

Surely this fellow's study was conducted eons ago?

Those socio-economic population projections (2020) by David Hulchanski are frightening. Perhaps they will not come to pass, but the implications are dire and a cautionary tale to those who consider population growth and increased densities as intrinsicly positive outcomes.

It is a shame, though, that Hulchanski's fearmongering has been getting such play in the media, but agenda-laden wheel gets the grease, so it's not surprising.

I'm kinda curious.... are these same projections available for Northern Ontario? Would be interesting to see where Thunder Bay, Sudbury et all are heading.

I'm kinda curious.... are these same projections available for Northern Ontario? Would be interesting to see where Thunder Bay, Sudbury et all are heading.

I'm not sure about population growth but I do remember seeing a "places to grow" type policy for the north.

Also theterribleone is right. Minorities are becoming a large part of the weathly. Look at Markham and Brampton.

Back