Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | Kohn Pedersen Fox

Challenge accepted.

Construction hoarding went up in ~ '98 (for demolition), and construction of the current building began circa '05.

Ed, you made me go back and look at the U of T archives............as it were......

So few renders/pics back then.

And 'Interchange42' regularly posting as a guest!

From the olden days...........

View attachment 300502
Credit to Forum Member: Sir Novelty Fashion Post here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...prop-trust-10s-baldwin-franklin.460/post-8427

What is this, The Beaverton? 🤣

Challenge accepted.

Construction hoarding went up in ~ '98 (for demolition), and construction of the current building began circa '05.

Ed, you made me go back and look at the U of T archives............as it were......

So few renders/pics back then.

And 'Interchange42' regularly posting as a guest!

From the olden days...........

View attachment 300502
Credit to Forum Member: Sir Novelty Fashion Post here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...prop-trust-10s-baldwin-franklin.460/post-8427
That's actually what was Rogers Television City ;):

1280px-Omni-City-33Dundas.jpg

Yup, once alluded to as 'The Torch'.

But it was in the 10 Dundas East thread...................and I thought it was interesting/amusing and worthy of being brought forward.

I'd forgotten how different UT used to look; and even some of the members who used to be ubiquitous

This site used to be owned by City of Toronto, operated as Salvation Army for homeless. City of Toronto sold it to Olympic federation who then build it as Olympic Museum they were not successful so they sold it to Rogers for dirt cheap price just like Rogers bought SkyDome who brought City Tv here and then he died

This site used to be owned by City of Toronto, operated as Salvation Army for homeless. City of Toronto sold it to Olympic federation who then build it as Olympic Museum they were not successful so they sold it to Rogers for dirt cheap price just like Rogers bought SkyDome who brought City Tv here and then he died
Love the building history. Thanks!
The whole Dundas square looks messy and tree-less to me
Why do people compare it to Time Square where there are so many more heritage historic theaters and buildings in NYC while you have to go on King West for that in Toronto

Love the building history. Thanks!
The whole Dundas square looks messy and tree-less to me
Why do people compare it to Time Square where there are so many more heritage historic theaters and buildings in NYC while you have to go on King West for that in Toronto

I have always felt the aspiration to Times Square was misplaced.

I'm not even particularly fond of Times Square. Billboards, digital or old-school are just not my speed.

Besides which, Toronto should aspire to be original, not an imitation of anywhere else.

That said, the aspiration was there, the thought process that this could be a square that conveyed that you are amidst the futuristic, hustle-bustle of a large 'metropolis'

Hence the extensive use of billboards/screens and the focus on a relatively spare design ethos.

In my personal opinion.............wrong idea, badly executed.

Though your reference to heritage theatres is incorrect.

There are 3 within 2 blocks of Yonge-Dundas.

The Ed Mirvish Theatre (previously Canon, Pantages and Imperial)

The Elgin-Winter Garden

and Massey Hall.

That's a larger cluster of Heritage theatres than you'll find on King West, given that The Princess of Wales is comparatively new, and Roy Thomson Hall only dates from the early 80s.

Last edited:
That said, the aspiration was there, the thought process that this could be a square that conveyed that you are amidst the futuristic, hustle-bustle of a large 'metropolis'

Hence the extensive use of billboards/screens and the focus on a relatively spare design ethos.

In my personal opinion.............wrong idea, badly executed.
Yeah, there are lots of billboards in Blade Runner, too... Not sure that's the version of San Francisco I'd consider visiting though.

Other possible developers, although my money is still on Concord since they bought 357 Yonge...

Lanterra?
Daniels?
Mattamy? (long shot but has the money)
SmartCentres also has about a billion in cash sitting around, though I am sure they want to use it to advance their development pipeline in Vaughan and the Golden Mile.

Though as others mentioned in this thread, Cresford hasn't actually said that they were giving up on the YSL site. It was their only profitable project based on last years construction costs, IIRC.

Also like with what happened at Cresford's Halo project, there is also the potential for a pension fund (like QuadReal) to pick it up, convert to rental, and justify the acquisition and low cap rate by spreading the costs over a 50-year period.

SmartCentres also has about a billion in cash sitting around, though I am sure they want to use it to advance their development pipeline in Vaughan and the Golden Mile.

Though as others mentioned in this thread, Cresford hasn't actually said that they were giving up on the YSL site. It was their only profitable project based on last years construction costs, IIRC.

Also like with what happened at Cresford's Halo project, there is also the potential for a pension fund (like QuadReal) to pick it up, convert to rental, and justify the acquisition and low cap rate by spreading the costs over a 50-year period.
I could totally see any one of those possibilities as well. That said, Concord bought at 357 Yonge - It feels like it would be a tough sell to fit in another building there, so I am thinking it's aligned with YSL's site potentially? (Speculating here for the record.)

I could totally see any one of those possibilities as well. That said, Concord bought at 357 Yonge - It feels like it would be a tough sell to fit in another building there, so I am thinking it's aligned with YSL's site potentially? (Speculating here for the record.)
357 Yonge just south of zanzibar strip club was owned by Ysl owner Cresford along with 357-1/2 Yonge if it’s true that concord bought it then your speculation seems right on the point that concord are in process of taking over YSL. But city has already approved 85 floor single tower north of Zanzibar and 357 Yonge suppose to be a small park as a public realm for Ysl

357 Yonge just south of zanzibar strip club was owned by Ysl owner Cresford along with 357-1/2 Yonge if it’s true that concord bought it then your speculation seems right on the point that concord are in process of taking over YSL. But city has already approved 85 floor single tower north of Zanzibar and 357 Yonge suppose to be a small park as a public realm for Ysl
Exactly. If these were part of the parkland dedication, it makes sense that if Concord wants to avoid an entirely new ZBLA, they would buy the entirety of the project lands, I think.

. I read something on Facebook that this now is being called... Toronto District Residences
Don't know how true but Green Park had its name on it

Toronto District Condos is located directly beside Ryerson’s Yonge Street Campus, and just minutes from College and Dundas TTC Subway stations. From this location, is right in the heart of the East Core.

. I read something on Facebook that this now is being called... Toronto District Residences
Don't know how true but Green Park had its name on it

Toronto District Condos is located directly beside Ryerson’s Yonge Street Campus, and just minutes from College and Dundas TTC Subway stations. From this location, is right in the heart of the East Core.

So I googled the exact line above; this is what I found:

Image result for Toronto District Condos is located directly beside Ryerson Yonge Street Campus, and just minutes from College and Dundas TTC Subway stations. From this location, is right in the heart of the East Core.
PRIME Condos is located directly beside Ryerson's Yonge Street Campus, and just minutes from College and Dundas TTC Subway stations. From this location, PRIME is right in the heart of the East Core, the area just to the east of Yonge Street and one of Toronto's most dynamic and fastest growing districts.

Note that only the Bold is an exact match.

But I couldn't come up w/anything else, and it's not on Greenpark's website that I could tell.

Could still be an entirely legit scoop.

Back