Toronto Yorkdale Shopping Centre | ?m | ?s | Oxford Properties | MMC Architecture

It would be hard to beat 'Sauga for food. Numerous restaurants from any cuisine you can imagine.

Agreed those are better malls than Square One and those two are among the best in Canada.

Limeridge Mall in Hamilton really needs a Simons. It has hundreds of thousands more potential customers to pull from in Niagara (2023 estimated pop. 525,000).
Limeridge drips of “generic suburban mall”.

If there’s anything Simons has been good at, it’s been avoiding the generic by aiming for high end malls or unique urban locations.

If there were anywhere in Hamilton I’d see one going, it’s downtown somewhere near Jackson Square.

It's not just St. Catharines.
The Niagara region has wide open spaces, lakefront/beaches on both Lake Ontario and Lake Erie, the Niagara Parkway stretching from Fort Erie to the picturesque Niagara-on-the-Lake, hiking in the Niagara escarpment/Niagara Gorge. 100+ wineries, dozens of golf courses. Direct proximity to NY State with 4 border crossings.

The region is a peninsula, and offers a lot more than most GTA folks or southern Ontarians understand. 🤷‍♂️
You said cookie cutter houses and never mentioned the space . Just be consistent when you’re trashing another city.

Was the Yorkdale Nordstrom 3 levels?
If so, and Simons is taking 2 levels, what's taking the 3rd level?
(and which is the one not taken by Simons (top level or bottom level?)

It's not just St. Catharines.
The Niagara region has wide open spaces, lakefront/beaches on both Lake Ontario and Lake Erie, the Niagara Parkway stretching from Fort Erie to the picturesque Niagara-on-the-Lake, hiking in the Niagara escarpment/Niagara Gorge. 100+ wineries, dozens of golf courses. Direct proximity to NY State with 4 border crossings.

The region is a peninsula, and offers a lot more than most GTA folks or southern Ontarians understand. 🤷‍♂️
Niagara region is over 6 times the size of Mississauga. Not really a fair comparison.

I've lived in both. There are some truly hideous/rundown/tract home areas of Niagara.

I would not say Simons is focused on luxury malls. When you look across its presence from Edmonton to Halifax to Ottawa to Montreal, its in more non-luxury than luxury properties.

That said, it does tend towards regional malls, and top tier class A properties.

Is isn't, though it has tried to mount a luxury wing with Holt Renfrew.

Its not. But it does have market size needs and demographic focus.

Hamilton/Burlington is not ''next' on Simons list.

This is already a large expansion for them to digest and another sizable announcement should come soon.a

After that, they will likely need a breather, depending on how the new stores perform, and how sweet the rent deals are..........

When they are ready to grow again.....

I have them penciled in for another City of Toronto based mall first, then Mapleview might contend with one other suburban outpost. But that's a few years from now.

Apple has a store at Mapleview, and I would think the Apple demographic would fit with where Simons wants to be.

Similarly Apple has no Hamilton store, and likewise for Simons I wouldn't expect it to be on their radar.

Back