Toronto Yorkdale Shopping Centre | ?m | ?s | Oxford Properties | MMC Architecture

Honestly I dont think Limeridge would do any favors for Simons and I doubt they'd really look into it seriously.
Limeridge is pretty full and has had very low vacancy rates over the last 5 or so years. Limeridge is also getting Ontario's largest Tesla centre and has two large apartment towers planned for the north edge of the property and a new bus "terminal". Would make more sense to open a store there to capture the Brantford, Hamilton, Niagara, KW and Burlington market over two new stores in Toronto. But I suppose I don't know the retail market and am biased.

Just surprised to hear zero interest outside Toronto considering Simon's pretty good prices and desire to keep most stores far apart.

Have you seen Mississauga? 😂
One of my close friends was born and raised in Mississauga and now has lived in St. Catharines/Niagara for around a decade. The only thing he misses is the diversity in the restaurant scene.

The sprawl, traffic, endless cookie cutter homes, subdivisions of Mississauga he can't stand. He likes visiting his parents and old friends, but you couldn't pay him to move back. 😅

One of my close friends was born and raised in Mississauga and now has lived in St. Catharines/Niagara for around a decade. The only thing he misses is the diversity in the restaurant scene.

The sprawl, traffic, endless cookie cutter homes, subdivisions of Mississauga he can't stand. He likes visiting his parents and old friends, but you couldn't pay him to move back. 😅
I've heard the food in the Saugster is really good, but I usually run out of there asap. Simon's and Square One is the only real reason we make the trip there. Port Credit is quite alright though.

I still prefer Yorkdale Mall or Sherway though.

If you think St Catherine’s is better. I dunno. I guess everyone has their opinion.

Just to be clear. Even Toronto has cookie cutter homes.

7B46717A-1867-4B5B-A367-2DD41F26F496.jpeg
286101D3-8A8E-4D08-A1A9-6A8F449BD61C.jpeg

Last edited:
If you think St Catherine’s is better. I dunno. I guess everyone has their opinion.

Just to be clear. Even Toronto has cookie cutter homes.

View attachment 570500View attachment 570526
It's not just St. Catharines.
The Niagara region has wide open spaces, lakefront/beaches on both Lake Ontario and Lake Erie, the Niagara Parkway stretching from Fort Erie to the picturesque Niagara-on-the-Lake, hiking in the Niagara escarpment/Niagara Gorge. 100+ wineries, dozens of golf courses. Direct proximity to NY State with 4 border crossings.

The region is a peninsula, and offers a lot more than most GTA folks or southern Ontarians understand. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I've heard the food in the Saugster is really good, but I usually run out of there asap. Simon's and Square One is the only real reason we make the trip there. Port Credit is quite alright though.

I still prefer Yorkdale Mall or Sherway though.

It would be hard to beat 'Sauga for food. Numerous restaurants from any cuisine you can imagine.

Agreed those are better malls than Square One and those two are among the best in Canada.

Limeridge Mall in Hamilton really needs a Simons. It has hundreds of thousands more potential customers to pull from in Niagara (2023 estimated pop. 525,000).

Limeridge is not a high end mall where Simons locate. Limeridge is a busy, successful mall - but not one with luxury offerings. If they open something in the far western GTA it'll be at Mapleview most likely which has demographics closer to their customer base.

^Yup, Burlington or Oakville have a much higher likelihood at ever seeing a Simons post compared to Hamilton.

Reactions: JBR
I'm kind of surprised to see Simon's noted as focusing on luxury malls. Square One never really struck me as that, nor do I consider Simon's a luxury store. I buy almost all my clothes from there. I'm currently wearing a shirt, pants and socks from Simon's. Which is a huge pain living in Hamilton. I'd take Mapleview though, same distance driving from my place at Limeridge.

Just thought with Hamiltons massive CMA they choose Limeridge especially considering the upgrades CF is planning there.

That is why I thought that K-W would be ideal as it is fairly large, high income, accessible and far enough from GTA to not cannibalize customers

I'm kind of surprised to see Simon's noted as focusing on luxury malls. Square One never really struck me as that, nor do I consider Simon's a luxury store. I buy almost all my clothes from there. I'm currently wearing a shirt, pants and socks from Simon's. Which is a huge pain living in Hamilton. I'd take Mapleview though, same distance driving from my place at Limeridge.

Just thought with Hamiltons massive CMA they choose Limeridge especially considering the upgrades CF is planning there.
Yeah, I don't get it. Plus like I previously stated they could pull from the 525,000+ people in Niagara by choosing Limeridge.

Compare men's clothing prices at The Bay to Simons. Simons is almost always better value for the money. I don't consider either store luxury. Holt Renfrew is luxury.

FYI forumers, the combined population of the Hamilton-Burlington CMA plus Niagara region (minus Grimsby within Hamilton CMA) is over 1,300,000.

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised to see Simon's noted as focusing on luxury malls.

I would not say Simons is focused on luxury malls. When you look across its presence from Edmonton to Halifax to Ottawa to Montreal, its in more non-luxury than luxury properties.

That said, it does tend towards regional malls, and top tier class A properties.

Square One never really struck me as that

Is isn't, though it has tried to mount a luxury wing with Holt Renfrew.

, nor do I consider Simon's a luxury store.

Its not. But it does have market size needs and demographic focus.

Hamilton/Burlington is not ''next' on Simons list.

This is already a large expansion for them to digest and another sizable announcement should come soon.a

After that, they will likely need a breather, depending on how the new stores perform, and how sweet the rent deals are..........

When they are ready to grow again.....

I have them penciled in for another City of Toronto based mall first, then Mapleview might contend with one other suburban outpost. But that's a few years from now.

I would not say Simons is focused on luxury malls. When you look across its presence from Edmonton to Halifax to Ottawa to Montreal, its in more non-luxury than luxury properties.

That said, it does tend towards regional malls, and top tier class A properties.

Is isn't, though it has tried to mount a luxury wing with Holt Renfrew.

Its not. But it does have market size needs and demographic focus.

Hamilton/Burlington is not ''next' on Simons list.

This is already a large expansion for them to digest and another sizable announcement should come soon.a

After that, they will likely need a breather, depending on how the new stores perform, and how sweet the rent deals are..........

When they are ready to grow again.....

I have them penciled in for another City of Toronto based mall first, then Mapleview might contend with one other suburban outpost. But that's a few years from now.
Next Toronto location would be STC! Maybe.

And as far as Yorkdale goes I imagine a hotel is in the future at some point.

Last edited:

Back