Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

A bunch of problems going on here:

-Is the assumption that north of Steeles the subway could be elevated based on something fundamental that changes with the road or the streetscape or the built form or the policy framework or is it just the arbitrary point where Toronto ends?

-

-Trading a few dozen NIMBYs in one neighbourhoood who worried about a train under their houses for thousands of residents and businesses along a corridor upset about the noise etc. associated with introducing an elevated train in the middle of the region's most important street also strikes me as a poor political move, to say the least. It never would have flown.
Agree especially with your last point- elevated would have never happened here regardless. The neighbourhood is simply too wealthy to be ok with that. The point of this line is twofold, neither of which is to serve the adjacent communities directly; for Toronto, it is to get to Steeles. For YR, it is to get to Highway 7. Thornhill is literally a thorn in everyone’s side here. I wish Toronto elevated more of the subway more often, but this was not an opportunity to do that.

Good information find, and pretty much summarizes how petty and stupid the province is being about this extension.

They have no problem peddling up tens of millions more for a Royal Orchard station, or for digging the tunnel deeper to accommodate literally 50 residents but they decide to play games and wont fund a significant station in Toronto which will draw X times more riders Royal Orchard. This is just comedically stupid at this point.

Old Cummer would have been nice to have, but I feel it isn’t much more than that. Every time I look at it on a map I can’t help but feel like it’s just too close to Finch Station. I get why it would be useful, but Finch will likely be enough- the station would still serve the Cummer buses, which can use freed up capacity at Finch. While yes, you could have a new walking catchment, it’s not dense enough to justify the $500 million dollar price tag. That money could go elsewhere; the city must play ball with Metrolinx now and finally decide where their priorities lie.

And to be clear, Royal Orchard is silly too- but it obviously exists because it is ~2km north of Clark, keeping that basic stop spacing seen across the line. If it were up to me I’d actually shift that station down between Centre/John.

This is madness. The other option would have been to do it a bit like line 2, and expropriate a ROW 100-150m to the side of Yonge. It would be mostly expropriating a few houses wide or running above some minor access streets, then divert east through the golf course to link up with the RH line ROW. Some of it could even be done as cut and cover with a linear park on top in the more NIMBY sensitive areas. This would save billions...

Kind of dumb logic in play:
- If a location can be filled with highrises, then it is a good place for TOD, and a subway station will be funded.
- If a location is already filled with the same or greater number of highrises, then there is no more fish to fry, the location isn't designated for TOD, and a subway station will not be funded.

The existing residents do not deserve a subway, it is all their fault that they moved into high density before the subway planning started.

I'd be careful saying that, Yonge/Centre is slightly more narrow with the historic buildings around. The large dip in Yonge may also present some issues, originally I believe they wanted to double deck bridge it, I'm not sure what the maximum grade is for elevated rail but there might be some issues there if it was elevated. Perhaps it could be a double deck bridge with Yonge on the lower level then.
The 3 buildings that they call historic, but moving the station to the plaza would solve that. The real issue is people don't want yonge narrowed. But if your getting a billion dollar transit infrastructure that's a concession the community would have to make.

I'd be careful saying that, Yonge/Centre is slightly more narrow with the historic buildings around. The large dip in Yonge may also present some issues, originally I believe they wanted to double deck bridge it, I'm not sure what the maximum grade is for elevated rail but there might be some issues there if it was elevated. Perhaps it could be a double deck bridge with Yonge on the lower level then.
What does a dip of yonge have to do with elevated rail thats on pillars which can be adjusted to height, hence making the rail with minial elevation change.

you act as if the nimbys wouldnt be annoying with elevated stations?
Oh they would but they'll have alot hard time stopping it and getting valuable sympathy points if they are protesting a public works project that is within civic row, versus their property expropriation. Look at the ontario line. Lesliville tried their hardest to stop the above ground option, but they could do much since its in a province row.

Not that NIMBYs would be for elevated rail (even though the Royal Orchard folks were against underground) is there anyone here who legitimately thinks Yonge Street - anywhere between Lake Ontario and Lake Simcoe - is the right place for elevated rail?

On TYSSE, especially north of Steeles, the line was going through pretty much vacant land. Here you are talking about doing it in on a main street in an established, urbanizing area.

Politically it was DOA but in terms of urban realm, I don't see it either.

Not that NIMBYs would be for elevated rail (even though the Royal Orchard folks were against underground) is there anyone here who legitimately thinks Yonge Street - anywhere between Lake Ontario and Lake Simcoe - is the right place for elevated rail?

On TYSSE, especially north of Steeles, the line was going through pretty much vacant land. Here you are talking about doing it in on a main street in an established, urbanizing area.

Like with the Bloor Dundas line, an elevated alignment does not need to be right on Yonge. excavating 40m deep stations in SFH suburbia is madness.

Yes.
Yonge is a 6 lane stroad between "old" Richmond Hill and Newmarket. And old Richmond hill is so small and the lots around it so low density and large, you can just go around it if you thought 10 shops and a church were invaluable pieces of our heritage.

Take out the center lanes, do protected lefts/u-turns at major intersections and you can run an elevated train in the median all the way from Davis Drive to Hwy 7.

Do TOD at all the big intersections, connect it to Richmond hill GO and you've just turned the Richmond hill line into something worth using and can create massive value for your developer buddies who coincidentally own all the land at the intersection of Yonge and E-W Stroads #16-21 and now there is a good reason to build that elevated line along Yonge St.

Assuming the construction costs are about 50% greater than the Davenport guideway cost (So roughly 150 mil per km) You have a 24 km stretch along Yonge St which will cost ~3.6B.

You can even extend this thought by elevating much of the rest of the Richmond Hill Line along the Leaside Spur trail and Lower Don (to avoid flooding and allow for connections with streetcars), through run it with the Barrie Line and now you have a 3rd GO RER line to complement Lakeshore and Kitchener-Stouffville.

For 150 million per KM there is alot that elevated rail is good for. Totally separated Milton Line, a spur to Square One, a 407 rail line, maybe even HSR along the 401.

Will this happen? Of course not, noone in government is as interested as freeing Ontarians from the yoke of having to drive everywhere as me, but if we remove the mental block of car-based mediocrity there are many use cases for elevated rail.

Vancouver begs to differ. Urbanism and elevated rail work together. Besides its vast sfh and the row is wide enough. It was doable. You can't do a proper business case without actually reviewing the options. See the cost benefits. Right now its not even a 1 with a 60 year look out. There is a real problem with that the roi (return on investment) should be at a minimum a 1. The extension is needed but the cost are to significant to make it worth while. So let's lower the cost and look at other options.

Maybe Toronto can scrap one or more of the Smarttrack stations and use that for this station :p I mean, the bill from Metrolinx keeps going up on the vestiges of Smarttrack. Maybe time to just throw in the towel there.

Kind of dumb logic in play:
- If a location can be filled with highrises, then it is a good place for TOD, and a subway station will be funded.
- If a location is already filled with the same or greater number of highrises, then there is no more fish to fry, the location isn't designated for TOD, and a subway station will not be funded.

The existing residents do not deserve a subway, it is all their fault that they moved into high density before the subway planning started.

It's not really that illogical because you're not differentiating between TOD, which is happening naturally, and TOC, which is a specific contract between IO and the developer. So they're not saying there is too much development for a subway, creating some weird paradox. They're saying it's too late because all the good development sites are gone and there is no direct funding to leverage at Cummer. I'm not saying that's fair, or that Royal Orchard is a better station than Cummer (I could take or leave either) but they established early on that they were building the 3 main stations + 1 more (Clark) and then maybe more, if TOC funds could be leveraged. There is plenty of TOD that will happen, and is happening, along the corridor that won't directly interface with the subway or contribute to its funding but building the station requires an agreement with ajdacent development (s).

So, it may well be unfair to Toronto but there is a logic to it, given the funding structure.

Yes.
Yonge is a 6 lane stroad between "old" Richmond Hill and Newmarket. And old Richmond hill is so small and the lots around it so low density and large, you can just go around it if you thought 10 shops and a church were invaluable pieces of our heritage.

Take out the center lanes, do protected lefts/u-turns at major intersections and you can run an elevated train in the median all the way from Davis Drive to Hwy 7.

My fault for casting the net so wide :)
But I don't think it would have worked through Thornhill and if someone wants to argue that it certainly could have, then I would counter it would have worked equally well (or poorly) on the Willowdale (Finch-Steeles) section. If someone is going to argue it should be aboveground north of Steeles, I'd still like to see the logic as to why the same thing wouldn't be true south of Steeles (where, among things, there isn't a Heritage Conservation District).

Vancouver begs to differ. Urbanism and elevated rail work together. Besides its vast sfh and the row is wide enough. It was doable. You can't do a proper business case without actually reviewing the options. See the cost benefits. Right now its not even a 1 with a 60 year look out. There is a real problem with that the roi (return on investment) should be at a minimum a 1. The extension is needed but the cost are to significant to make it worth while. So let's lower the cost and look at other options.

I hear you. In fairness, they did lower costs by coming above ground for the final 2 stations. I really don't think it would have worked on Yonge Street but I appreciate that, on principle, there's an argument that maybe it could have.

Like with the Bloor Dundas line, an elevated alignment does not need to be right on Yonge. excavating 40m deep stations in SFH suburbia is madness.

Well, it is a bit mad but it's also one station that - again - even without the realingment is coming uphill from a river valley. I wouldn't have put the station there, partly for that reason, and I liked the prior plan that took the subway over the valley on a bridge, FWIW, but looking at the other stations, 2 are above grade and the other 2 appear to be normal depths so I wouldn't define the whole line by that one station. the only elevated rail I could see that maybe could have worked would have been if it came out on that bridge and then stayed above-grade north of Royal Orchard, into the Growth Centres. But I'm not sure how you cut over to the rail corridor, through established neighbourhoods, if you do that. A lot of changes flowed from that decision.

It's not really that illogical because you're not differentiating between TOD, which is happening naturally, and TOC, which is a specific contract between IO and the developer. So they're not saying there is too much development for a subway, creating some weird paradox. They're saying it's too late because all the good development sites are gone and there is no direct funding to leverage at Cummer.
So really what we are saying is that the government is prepared to spend tax dollars to help certain developers sell units and make profits, but is not prepared to spend tax dollars in another area that helps existing citizens and isn't helping some other developers make mad dollarbucks?

Back